Crossing the International Date Line

mrlevin

I was looking at the cruise on Mariner from Papeete to Auckland. It departs on 15 November and arrives on 30 November. The website lists it as 15 nights; however, I "think" it is only 14 nights; i.e., you will have 14 dinners and sleep 14 nights on the ship. Am I wrong? If I am right, is it wrong for Regent to advertise as 15 night cruise?

thanks,

Marc

I was looking at the cruise on Mariner from Papeete to Auckland. It departs on 15 November and arrives on 30 November. The website lists it as 15 nights; however, I "think" it is only 14 nights; i.e., you will have 14 dinners and sleep 14 nights on the ship. Am I wrong? If I am right, is it wrong for Regent to advertise as 15 night cruise?

thanks,

Marc

As you go from Auckland the date will fall back on day.

Example One side of the date line is 1am on July 10

When you cross the date line going east the time will still be 1am but on July 9.

You'' actually gain a day.

Run of thumb

Westbound loss a day

Eastbound gain a day.

There's no good way to handle the IDL without confusing some one. The important thing is to be consistent about it. So when Mariner returns in the other direction (which they do April 27 Tokyo to May 16 Vancouver), they need to treat it the same way, i.e. the difference between two dates.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR190427/summary

That one Regent says is 19 days, although there are 20 dinners and 20 sleep nights. So they are consistently stating the duration as the difference between the start date and the end date.

* but better would be to add an asterisk next to the duration, which is what I do.

Had a good laugh at this over coffee this morning. I am on the 2019 Tokyo to Vancouver cruise. I had spent a lot of time working this out - going early (what dates for airline and hotel reservations) and packing (for how many sea days). Where were you guys when I needed you?

There's no good way to handle the IDL without confusing some one. The important thing is to be consistent about it. So when Mariner returns in the other direction (which they do April 27 Tokyo to May 16 Vancouver), they need to treat it the same way, i.e. the difference between two dates.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR190427/summary

That one Regent says is 19 days, although there are 20 dinners and 20 sleep nights. So they are consistently stating the duration as the difference between the start date and the end date.

* but better would be to add an asterisk next to the duration, which is what I do.

Drib, do you make the correction for your calculations of "per diem?" I know it can be confusing if they were accurate; however, I think it disingenuous to call Papeete to Auckland a 15 night cruise when it is only 14 nights.

Marc