Crystal caves vs Fantasy caves

annal

From the site:

Crystal Cave: "The moment you complete your descent down the walkway into Crystal Cave on your guided tour, you know you are on a journey of amazing natural beauty. Pathways of floating pontoons spread out before you, spanning a crystal clear underground lake. As you peer into the water, spectacular formations seem to exist mere inches beneath the surface. In fact, they are over 50 feet below you, a testimony to the incredible clarity of the lake. Above you, a mind-boggling profusion of pristine white stalactites covered with crystallized soda straws are affixed to the roof of the cave. The great American humorist Mark Twain was one of the first to experience this wonder of Mother Nature that has delighted generations of visitors since. Treat yourself and your family to an awesome, out-of-the-ordinary adventure at Bermuda’s stunning underground natural attraction! "

Fantasy Cave: "A totally unique experience from Crystal Cave, Fantasy Cave is a virtual jewel box of stunning formations. Your guided experience will bring you face-to-face with entire walls covered in calcite mineral deposits nature has shaped to resemble majestic waterfalls frozen in time. Reflections from the deep pools dance before you on the surfaces of the cave. Gazing into the crystal clear water, you can see the beginnings of the passageways connecting the caves with the ocean. It is a journey to delight kids and adults alike. A state-of-the-art lighting system allows you to focus on the intricacies and impressive details of the formations. Your experienced guide will provide facts on the history and geology of the cave to enhance your overall experience."

I would do both of the cave if there are plenty of time. If only a choice of one, then I would go with Crystal cave.

From the site:

I would do both of the cave if there are plenty of time. If only a choice of one, then I would go with Crystal cave.

Of course their site is going to paint a pretty picture. In my opinion it is not necessary to do both caves. It isn’t even necessary to do the caves at all if you have visited caves in the US. Crystal Cave is a little different so one might visit if there is time. Fantasy Cave is just ok. Both caves are so small that only a few can enter at a time. So a lot of time there is waiting.

How long is the tour of Crystal Cave and is that determined by the tour guide or do you have time to tour on your own? How long would a typical visit last, or at least a range of time?

Thank you so much!

How long is the tour of Crystal Cave and is that determined by the tour guide or do you have time to tour on your own? How long would a typical visit last, or at least a range of time?

Thank you so much!

Time spent in the cave will be about 25 minutes. It is determined by the guide. It is only one way in and out and the stairway is narrow so everyone has to go in together and out together. The guides are quite good. They run tours every 20 minutes. But since the caves are small and the number who can go on each tour is limited there can be a wait between tours. The wait time can vary. If you arrive when a lot of others have arrived it can be a while before it’s your turn. And if you do both caves the wait can be a while longer if it’s a busy time. They do have seating there so after you line up for your tickets you can have a seat. There is also a gift shop.

It should be mentioned that there are 88 steep steps down and back up to Crystal Caves and 83 steps I think to Fantasy Cave. There is no elevator. Those with mobility issues should be aware of that.

Edited by Charles4515

Time spent in the cave will be about 25 minutes. It is determined by the guide. It is only one way in and out and the stairway is narrow so everyone has to go in together and out together. The guides are quite good. They run tours every 20 minutes. But since the caves are small and the number who can go on each tour is limited there can be a wait between tours. The wait time can vary. If you arrive when a lot of others have arrived it can be a while before it’s your turn. And if you do both caves the wait can be a while longer if it’s a busy time. They do have seating there so after you line up for your tickets you can have a seat. There is also a gift shop.

It should be mentioned that there are 88 steep steps down and back up to Crystal Caves and 83 steps I think to Fantasy Cave. There is no elevator. Those with mobility issues should be aware of that.

Great information! Any chance you have a reasonable guess as to the price range of a taxi from the ferry in St. George to the Caves around 9:30 am on a Tuesday?

Great information! Any chance you have a reasonable guess as to the price range of a taxi from the ferry in St. George to the Caves around 9:30 am on a Tuesday?

My estimate for for the taxi fare from King's Square to the caves for 1-4 paxs is $17, for 5-7 paxs is $22 plus tip.

SBtS

My estimate for for the taxi fare from King's Square to the caves for 1-4 paxs is $17, for 5-7 paxs is $22 plus tip.

SBtS

Perfect, thank you! Been reading your Bermuda advice on many topics while I plan for our trip next month and really appreciate all the information you share.:)