Wi-Fi plans and banking apps?

Laurie7724

Has anyone been able to access their banking app or banks website with just a social plan? That’s the only thing that I would need to access that it showing I may not be able to with the social plan. Just was wondering if anybody had any luck or if I really need to get the upgraded plan? Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Your playing a dangerous game using public WiFi to make financial transactions. If nothing else at least access a VPN if doing this.

With TLS encryption and a properly issued certificate verifiable to a trusted root, the weak point becomes the target site, and if that's compromised a VPN wouldn't help you anyway.:rolleyes:

With TLS encryption and a properly issued certificate verifiable to a trusted root, the weak point becomes the target site, and if that's compromised a VPN wouldn't help you anyway.:rolleyes:

You’re saying that an unsecured public WiFi is completely 100% safe?

Good information to have.

Everything I ever read told me to never use public WiFi. Maybe I’ve wasted a lot of time and money ensuring that I had my own mifi device and used VPN.

You’re saying that an unsecured public WiFi is completely 100% safe?

Good information to have.

Everything I ever read told me to never use public WiFi. Maybe I’ve wasted a lot of time and money ensuring that I had my own mifi device and used VPN.

No, read what I said. I said that certificate-based TLS encryption is the same type of security that is used to encrypt your VPN connection, and you're no more at risk using it over a public network than you are using your mi-fi. Either way you're tunneling your data through an encrypted tunnel over a public network.

My apologies. I don’t speak network geek speak, so please try to break it down to where your grandmother would understand.

1. Is public WiFi safe to use with personal and financial information?

2. Or, is what your saying is that the encryption being used by the financial institution high enough to secure any transactions without (what I perceived) as additional security of VPN.

3. If number 2 is correct, then what is the purpose of having a personal VPN?

Thanks for educating some of us.

My apologies. I don’t speak network geek speak, so please try to break it down to where your grandmother would understand.

1. Is public WiFi safe to use with personal and financial information?

2. Or, is what your saying is that the encryption being used by the financial institution high enough to secure any transactions without (what I perceived) as additional security of VPN.

3. If number 2 is correct, then what is the purpose of having a personal VPN?

Thanks for educating some of us.

The encryption provided by your financial institution's web servers and/or their front-ends handles encryption between your client web browser and their back-end. That traffic is already encrypted.

The VPN encrypts ALL traffic coming from your computer to any remote location - but it uses the same encryption algorithms that the HTTPS protocol already uses.

The advantages of the VPN include some anonymity - the local ISP doesn't know where your packets are headed because they're all routed through a remote VPN endpoint - but the actual data itself is no more secure.

Let's say you and I are staying in a hotel, in separate rooms. You want to send me a message. You lock it in a box that only you and I have keys to. You drop it off at the front desk and trust them to deliver it to me. When they do, I open it and retrieve the message. This is https over a public connection (the hotel). If the box gets intercepted or stolen, the message inside is still safe.

The difference with a VPN is now you hand the box to a private delivery service who leaves the building with it and then delivers it to me unbeknownst to the hotel. That's a VPN. The local network only knows that traffic is flowing, but not to where our what's in it. But the box is no more secure than it was before.