Do ALL Hawaii Cruises Have Ukulele Lessons on Sea Days?

wizard-of-roz

I bought my daughter and me Ukulele's for our Hawaii cruise in December. Do you know if all the Hawaii cruises offer Ukulele lessons? Someone told me Yes and another person said it all depends on the Cruise Director.

They also said that you can buy Ukulele's in the gift shop but there are never enough and they're the cheaper, plastic kind, because so many people want to learn to play. Which is why I bought both of us some really nice instruments.

It's been on my bucket-list to learn to play for a while and this is the perfect opportunity. After all, there are enough sea days to get started on learning something.

What's your knowledge of this?

Don't remember seeing ukulele lessons on either Hawaii cruise.

The only ones who know of consistently giving ukulele lessons are Elua on select Princess cruises. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh! No! Did I pick the wrong cruise line.......I will be so disappointed......Oh! Well! You know what this means? I have to book another Hawaii cruise onboard Princess. I can do that! ;p

Opinions please: Do you think we'll look silly with our Ukulele's [they both have carry cases] and can be carried hanging from our shoulder's. And, of course will go through the scanners so everyone can rule-out the fact that they look like small machine gun cases!!!!! I have seen too many gangster movies! :o

Just checked my FunTimes from my last 2 Hawaii cruises and there were no ukulele lessons.

Take your ukulele if you want. Nobody will mind.

I was really looking forward to those Ukulele lessons to help spend some of those sea days.

Now, I'm not so anxious to bring the Ukulele with me and if I don't my daughter won't.

Thanks for checking.

Oh bummer! I too, would REALLY enjoy some UKE lessons. Guess I too, will have to take a look at Princess for my Hawaiian vacation. ;p

"SKY"

It is a bummer, I was really excited about giving my daughter this lovely Ukulele for her birthday. I still will but it looks like the lessons will have to come at a different time.

I think Carnival should think about doing this. It's a huge hit onboard Princess.

At the end the class puts on a performance that all can attend, it's so much fun!

My cruise was on NCLA around the islands.

Honestly, if this cruise were not paid-in-full I would consider changing to Princess. I'm afraid I'm committed and will have to think about whether I will bring the Ukulele's at all.

Thanks for responding.

• 2 months later...
My husband and I are sailing the Oosterdam on December 2, 2017. We have been learning the uke, and hoped to bring ours on board. It would be fun to do a ukulele strum-in on the sea days!

We're onboard the Carnival Miracle on December 2nd........I'll be looking for the Oosterdam when we're out at sea [she's one of my favorite ships to sail] or, when we're visiting various islands, I'll be listening for the gentle strumming of your uke [i wish!]

I'm going to bring my uke and although I'm no master at playing it, I love to strum it and pretend.

I wish you were onboard with us so we could learn how to play from you!

Our cruise in September on the Legend, from Vancouver to Hawaii did have ukulele lessons. We didn’t partake, but did hear the Cruise Director comment about them, and saw some people with their ukuleles.

Edited by lasekeye
Missed name of ship

Our cruise in September on the Legend, from Vancouver to Hawaii did have ukulele lessons. We didn’t partake, but did hear the Cruise Director comment about them, and saw some people with their ukuleles.

Seriously, now you're getting me so excited. It does sound like the ukulele lessons can be a hit or a miss, depending on the cruise director and it doesn't just happen onboard a Princess ship.

Now, you've spurred my interest again and I'm going to bring my uke and encourage my daughter to do the same.

Thanks for the info.

I don't recall any ukulele lessons being given at all on our 15-day sailing to Hawaii aboard the Carnival Spirit in 2012. Sorry!

This is beginning to sound like a true "hit or miss" venture. I'll let you all know what happens on my December 2nd, Hawaii cruise.

There was a concert with those who had taken the lessons and hula dancers as well in the atrium on one of the latter days of the cruise. It seemed like there were 25 or 30 playing. I remember hearing them taking their lessons near the coffee bar (can't remember the name of the actual bar they were in) and they were fun to listen to.

This is beginning to sound like a true "hit or miss" venture. I'll let you all know what happens on my December 2nd, Hawaii cruise.

Aloha,

If I can just put my $0.02 in here...no matter what, I would take your ukes with you. You can play them on your own, maybe find some others onboard who have brought there’s, (there are almost always other uke enthusiasts on cruises...especially to Hawai’i) or possibly even try to find a lesson or two when you get in the islands.

For future cruises that you may book, Princess has lessons on each sea day for all cruises that go to Hawai’i, given by whoever is onboard as the Hawaiian Cultural Ambassador.

But no matter which line you choose, the real star of the cruise is the Hawaiian Islands, so make the best of your time there...try the food, talk to the people, listen to the music wherever you may find it. You’ll have a wonderful time!

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors

Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Aloha,

If I can just put my $0.02 in here...no matter what, I would take your ukes with you. You can play them on your own, maybe find some others onboard who have brought there’s, (there are almost always other uke enthusiasts on cruises...especially to Hawai’i) or possibly even try to find a lesson or two when you get in the islands.

For future cruises that you may book, Princess has lessons on each sea day for all cruises that go to Hawai’i, given by whoever is onboard as the Hawaiian Cultural Ambassador.

But no matter which line you choose, the real star of the cruise is the Hawaiian Islands, so make the best of your time there...try the food, talk to the people, listen to the music wherever you may find it. You’ll have a wonderful time!

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors

Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Thank you so much for your input. I have another Hawaii cruise booked onboard the Emerald Princess for December, 2018. I will have my Uke onboard with me and I'm going to make sure my SIL and children all have Uke's too! I hope I get a chance to meet you then! I've heard some wonderful things about you!

I'm going to bring my Uke onboard the Carnival Miracle this December and so will my daughter. I'll let you all know if we get a chance to take some lessons and if not, we'll be the one's strumming away on our balcony!!!