Bring back Giovannis ......

#41
Dallas, Texas
8,637 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
Northern is Bechamel. Southern is Ricotta/Mozzarella (particularly Sicilian).


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Notice the comment about ricotta was made from a Texan, one thing I learned in my 30 years in Texas is do not ask a texan about Italian food,was born and raised in nyc
#42
South Lancs, England
812 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by grapau27
It is wrong RC include food in waiters marks because very few people want to mark down the waiters in case they don't get their tips or lose their jobs so RC get a favourable response to food quality even when the quality does not deserve it.
I completely agree with you.
If food quality is not up to the regular standard then the favourable response to food quality on surveys has to stop!
Simply inform the Head Waiter that food will be marked down accordingly and put further details in the comments section.

I see little point in people complaining on here that food quality has declined, which will do nothing to address the situation, and not filling in a post cruise survey saying food quality is poor, which has more chance of addressing the situation.

I'm sure there is a section for service and a section for food (both tied to the wait staff )
Simply put further detail into the comments section explaining the dissatisfaction that wait staff are penalised for something outside of their control!
#43
suburban Chicago
1,194 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Will be on Symphony in October and was disappointed to learn that there will be no Giovanni's Table, my favorite specialty restaurant. I realize that you can't please everyone all of the time, but the large number of negative reviews regarding Jamie's Italian were swaying me away from trying it at all to begin with.

Royal has consistently befuddled me over the years with removing many much-beloved items from their menus in both included and extra fee restaurants. Vidalia Onion Tart on night 1 in the main dining room? Don't get me started! Why not "refresh" the menus by removing the things that aren't particularly well received?

Okay, rant over 😣

Ellen
#44
Sunderland England
6,436 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by dreamer976
Will be on Symphony in October and was disappointed to learn that there will be no Giovanni's Table, my favorite specialty restaurant. I realize that you can't please everyone all of the time, but the large number of negative reviews regarding Jamie's Italian were swaying me away from trying it at all to begin with.

Royal has consistently befuddled me over the years with removing many much-beloved items from their menus in both included and extra fee restaurants. Vidalia Onion Tart on night 1 in the main dining room? Don't get me started! Why not "refresh" the menus by removing the things that aren't particularly well received?

Okay, rant over 😣

Ellen
I agree Giovanni's was a big miss on Harmony and Allure while Jamies have a prime site on Central Park it was usually only half full on the 3 occasions we were on Harmony and once on Allure.
In the UK Jamies are closing 12 of their 35 restaurants.
#45
431 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
We had a free lunch at Giovanni’s on the Allure last January as part of our Central Park balcony package. I traveled with my favorite large Italian family. We had a ‘special’ menu with 2 entree items: a sauced veal ball with no noodles and a seafood pasta. We were mostly ignored by the wait staff in favor of paying guests. I took us about 3 hours, mostly sitting and watching other people being served, to eat. The bread, salad, and dessert were good. My veal ball, well, it was a big meatball in sauce. The 3 who ordered seafood all got very sick afterwards. We had really looked forward to that meal and were not only poisoned but also treated like second class citizens. I’m fine with it going away.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#46
Texas
1,204 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by George C
Notice the comment about ricotta was made from a Texan, one thing I learned in my 30 years in Texas is do not ask a texan about Italian food,was born and raised in nyc
The comment about ricotta was made by a European who learned to make Italian food in Italy, who happens to currently reside in Texas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#47
11,846 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by cbelc
We had a free lunch at Giovanni’s on the Allure last January as part of our Central Park balcony package. I traveled with my favorite large Italian family. We had a ‘special’ menu with 2 entree items: a sauced veal ball with no noodles and a seafood pasta. We were mostly ignored by the wait staff in favor of paying guests. I took us about 3 hours, mostly sitting and watching other people being served, to eat. The bread, salad, and dessert were good. My veal ball, well, it was a big meatball in sauce. The 3 who ordered seafood all got very sick afterwards. We had really looked forward to that meal and were not only poisoned but also treated like second class citizens. I’m fine with it going away.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
So were you diagnosed with food poisoning or is this just self diagnosing? Food poisoning is usually very obvious. Getting sick, usually doesn’t take too long.... whereas Norovirus might not be as immediate.

JC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises
Radiance of the Seas Alaska August 31, 2018
Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic October 28, 2018
Ovation of the Seas Transpacific Australia, Tahiti and Hawaii April 17, 2019
4/14/2017 Ovation of the Seas, Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea, China,
9/8/2016 Anthem of the Seas New England and Canada, 5/30/2016 Navigator of the Seas UK to Norway, 11/5/2015 Avalon Visionary Nuremburg to Remich, 2/28/2015 RCI Liberty of the Seas Belize, 2/21/2015 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 10/11/2014 Avalon Luminary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary and Austria, Cozumel 1/11/214 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/27/2013 RCI Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/2011 Diamond Princess Australia and New Zealand, RCI Mariner of the Seas Mexico 2/2010, RCI Independence of the Seas transatlantic 11/2009, Navigator of the Seas transatlantic 11/2007, RCI Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean 2/06, HAL Rotterdam VI South America around the Horn 11/2005, RCI Legend of the Seas New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, 3/2003, RCI Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 2/2002, RCI Radiance of the Seas Vancouver to Hawaii 10/2001, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Mediterranean 10/2000, Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean 12/1999, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean 4/1998, RCI Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/1996
email me at [email protected]
Proud official member of the O crew

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C. S. Lewis
#48
170 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by RFerrington
SO uncomfortable, that we actually went into the common area in Central Park and retrieved a couple of the chairs there in which to sit. Those metal chairs are torture devices. ...and then the mediocre, at best, food was just a cherry on top !
Nothing is more uncomfortable than the "stylish" new chairs they have at Izumi on Harmony. Not only are they solely made for tiny people but they are beyond uncomfortable.
#49
flushing, ny
6,686 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by bob brown
I find the whole trend toward (and away from) licensing shore side restaurants on cruise ships fascinating....
I think it is really a gimmick, as the shipboard and shore side version's of "name" restaurants vary greatly. It might be different, if the shore side restaurants actually rented the space and operated the restaurant, but that is never the case....it is run by the cruise line and its employees, that rotate among all the other venues on board.

Other examples are the Todd English restaurants that were on Cunard, but now replaced by their own 'Veranda' restaurants.
On NCL, their Ocean Blue restaurants were associated with Geoff Zakarian, but no longer, and their former "Carlo's" bakeries are no longer associated with "Cake Boss" Buddy Valestro. They also ended their association with Nickelodeon for children's character's on board. However, they added Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville's....

RCI still has Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerry's, and Starbuck's on board, besides Jamie's....

There are some other examples on other lines, as well...just can't recall them at this moment....
I just learned that the "Michael's Genuine Pubs", on the three Quantum class ship's are also a shore side affiliation, and that at the end of this month, they will each be renamed into an in-house pub....
I wonder if the fee to dine there will disappear (not likely, although NCL's "pub's" are complimentary)....

More info on the RCI blog....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
getting there is half the fun!
coming back is the other half!
#50
Coral Springs, Fl
221 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Never been to JO on land but we did one visit on Harmony. The apps were amazing. The main course was, how should I say............sucked. DW and I both ordered the ribeye steak. We should have listened to our waiter who said "don't order the ribeye, it's not good". So that was our fault. It was just like he said, not good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#51
Virginia beach
2,421 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by rusty nut
Never been to JO on land but we did one visit on Harmony. The apps were amazing. The main course was, how should I say............sucked. DW and I both ordered the ribeye steak. We should have listened to our waiter who said "don't order the ribeye, it's not good". So that was our fault. It was just like he said, not good.
Dilly Dilly!!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



UPCOMING CRUISES.......

FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - JAN 2018 - CARIBBEAN
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - MAR 2018 - ABC ISLANDS

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - APR 2018 - EASTBOUND TA
BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - SEPT 2018 WESTBOUND TA
VISION OF THE SEAS - OCT 2018 - WESTBOUND TA
ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS - FEB 2019 - CARIBBEAN B2B
SERENADE OF THE SEAS - APR 2019 - EASTBOUND TA
VISION OF THE SEAS - GREEK ISLANDS - SEPT 2019
VISION OF THE SEAS - WESTBOUND TA - SEPT 2019
RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - WESTBOUND TA - NOV 2019



PAST CRUISES.......

COSTA PACIFICA - OCT 2011 - ITALY/GREECE
OASIS OF THE SEAS - OCT 2012 - CARIBBEAN
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - MAY 2014 - EASTBOUND TA
LEGEND OF THE SEAS - JUL 2014 - BALTIC/RUSSIA
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - OCT 2014 - WESTBOUND TA
VISION OF THE SEAS - FEB 2015 - CARIBBEAN
JEWEL OF THE SEAS - APR 2015 - CARIBBEAN
CELEBRITY EQUINOX - APR 2015 - EASTBOUND TA
INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS - SEP 2015 - CARIBBEAN
VISION OF THE SEAS - OCT 2015 - WESTBOUND TA
JEWEL OF THE SEAS - FEB 2016 - CARIBBEAN B2B
BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - APR 2016- EASTBOUND TA
MSC DIVINA - SEP 2016 - CARIBBEAN
HARMONY OF THE SEAS - OCT 2016 - WESTBOUND TA
HARMONY OF THE SEAS - JAN 2017 - CARIBBEAN B2B

JEWEL OF THE SEAS - APR 2017 - EASTBOUND TA
JEWEL OF THE SEAS - MAY 2017 - GREEK ISLANDS
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS - OCT 2018 - TRANSPACIFIC
SERENADE OF THE SEAS - NOV 2017 - CARIBBEAN
#53
Virginia beach
2,421 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by rusty nut
Dork!
See ya in a few days bro-in-law

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



UPCOMING CRUISES.......

FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - JAN 2018 - CARIBBEAN
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - MAR 2018 - ABC ISLANDS

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - APR 2018 - EASTBOUND TA
BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - SEPT 2018 WESTBOUND TA
VISION OF THE SEAS - OCT 2018 - WESTBOUND TA
ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS - FEB 2019 - CARIBBEAN B2B
SERENADE OF THE SEAS - APR 2019 - EASTBOUND TA
VISION OF THE SEAS - GREEK ISLANDS - SEPT 2019
VISION OF THE SEAS - WESTBOUND TA - SEPT 2019
RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - WESTBOUND TA - NOV 2019



PAST CRUISES.......

COSTA PACIFICA - OCT 2011 - ITALY/GREECE
OASIS OF THE SEAS - OCT 2012 - CARIBBEAN
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - MAY 2014 - EASTBOUND TA
LEGEND OF THE SEAS - JUL 2014 - BALTIC/RUSSIA
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - OCT 2014 - WESTBOUND TA
VISION OF THE SEAS - FEB 2015 - CARIBBEAN
JEWEL OF THE SEAS - APR 2015 - CARIBBEAN
CELEBRITY EQUINOX - APR 2015 - EASTBOUND TA
INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS - SEP 2015 - CARIBBEAN
VISION OF THE SEAS - OCT 2015 - WESTBOUND TA
JEWEL OF THE SEAS - FEB 2016 - CARIBBEAN B2B
BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - APR 2016- EASTBOUND TA
MSC DIVINA - SEP 2016 - CARIBBEAN
HARMONY OF THE SEAS - OCT 2016 - WESTBOUND TA
HARMONY OF THE SEAS - JAN 2017 - CARIBBEAN B2B

JEWEL OF THE SEAS - APR 2017 - EASTBOUND TA
JEWEL OF THE SEAS - MAY 2017 - GREEK ISLANDS
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS - OCT 2018 - TRANSPACIFIC
SERENADE OF THE SEAS - NOV 2017 - CARIBBEAN
#54
Coral Springs, Fl
221 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Beachammo
See ya in a few days bro-in-law

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Yup! Looking forward to it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature