HAL Eurodam Qestions for a first-timer

DeRon

We are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise on Eurodam. Here are my questions:

1. Does the ship ever feel crowded?
  2. Is the food on par with other cruises, or better?
  3. I am assuming there is a formal night. Do I need to bring a suit/jacket? How formal?
  4. Is the coffee good in the Lido cafeteria?
  5. Can we always sit at a table for 2 in the dining room? At breakfast too?
  6. Does their entertainment ever have choreographed dance/music shows? Or is it all like "game show" or comedian type of entertainment?
  7. I have read that the dining room is tight (space). Is this uncomfortable?
  8. What kind of clothes do you pack for a June cruise to Alaska? Is it ever warm enough to lay in the sun? Or will we always have jackets on?

Thank you!

1. Does the ship ever feel crowded? -- The ship can feel crowded depending on how many other passengers are on the cruise. If all/most of the cabins are at capacity, it will feel crowded, especially on sea days in the Lido and if you're looking for a lounger near the pool or on the aft deck. Unfortunately, I have not found a reliable way to determine if your ship will be at/near capacity before boarding. The path from the forward elevators through the Spa to the Lido Pool/Buffet is ALWAYS crowded/congested; it's a poor traffic flow design to have to walk through such a narrow space. And adding the ping-ping table in the mix sometimes makes it much tighter than it should be. The retreat cabanas on the Lido Deck also make the space unnecessarily tight and narrow.
  2. Is the food on par with other cruises, or better? -- I can't answer this, as I have only ever sailed with HAL, but I will say the food is good. The dining room/Lido are definitely casual dining restaurant quality (like Applebees, Chilis, Red Lobster, Olive Garden), but not in a bad way.
  3. I am assuming there is a formal night. Do I need to bring a suit/jacket? How formal? -- On my cruise in December/January, jackets were not required, but most gentlemen had one; collared shirts & ties were required.
  4. Is the coffee good in the Lido cafeteria? -- I do not drink coffee regularly, but it's decent -- better than most gas station coffee, but nothing like the fancy coffees you can get at upscale cafes.
  5. Can we always sit at a table for 2 in the dining room? At breakfast too? -- You can request a table for two when you make the initial booking, but it is only a request.
  6. Does their entertainment ever have choreographed dance/music shows? Or is it all like "game show" or comedian type of entertainment? -- It's a mix of different shows, and sometimes movies.
  7. I have read that the dining room is tight (space). Is this uncomfortable? -- Personally I find the tables in both the dining room and Lido JUST far enough apart, and sometimes it is difficult to get out/around should you need to is all the tables are fully occupied.

8. Clothes for Alaska: I have been to Alaska 14 times with HAL and my packing list includes clothing for four days and use of the ship's laundry service.

I pack:

• UnderArmour 1.0 lightweight basic long underwear for fast catamaran rides while whale watching.
  • Long-sleeved shirts
  • Sweater that I can remove when the temps warm
  • Long, mid-thigh, water resistant, jacket to fight the wind and high probability of rain
  • Photographer's gloves that allow me make camera settings
  • Hat
  • Waterproof hiking shoes (low) but waterproofing other shoes will work
  • Warm socks
  • Backpack with poncho, water bottle, and extra socks inside for excursions

I have seen June temps from 40's to 80's but you can always lay in the sun at the indoor pool (Deck 9) when the clear roof is either open or closed (depending on weather). Water temp in the pool is 81 degrees.

Enjoy your planning.

I sailed the Eurodam last March to the Caribbean on a sold out ship, I never felt crowded.

The dining room never felt tight, the coffee as previously said is average. There is the Explorers cafe for some fancy coffees at a cost if you want.

Not sure when your sailing to Alaska but when I sailed it was in July and we brought layers which worked well. As the previous poster said under armour is a great suggestion.

The Eurodam is a great ship, I am sure you will enjoy it.

The Lido can feel crowded at peak hours for meals.

There will be 2 Gala nights -- HAL no longer has formal nights. The majority of the men wear slacks and a collared shirt on Gala nights -- even in the specialty restaurants.

We take Gortex zippered jackets, water proof shoes, hat, gloves. Even in June it can be chilly so the key is to dress in layers. We also take small portable umbrellas with us.

The Lido pool has a retractable roof and you will see people using the lounge chairs there and even a few people using the pool.

A couple of years we did encounter warm weather and were able to wear our bermudas ashore -- very rare.