Texting Onboard the Summit

MJSailors

My DH and I will be traveling with friends on a Summit cruise to Bermuda this July.

We would like to communicate with each other about our daily plans during the cruise.

Is there a way we can text each other without incurring roaming fees on our phones ?

Does Celebrity offer an app for intranet messaging on the ship ?

I called our wireless service company and the representative explained that texting was not done through WiFi connections,but through cell service. With that information, I don’t think that an internet package purchased onboard would be helpful for texting.

Any info is definitely appreciated !

My DH and I will be traveling with friends on a Summit cruise to Bermuda this July.

We would like to communicate with each other about our daily plans during the cruise.

Is there a way we can text each other without incurring roaming fees on our phones ?

Does Celebrity offer an app for intranet messaging on the ship ?

I called our wireless service company and the representative explained that texting was not done through WiFi connections,but through cell service. With that information, I don’t think that an internet package purchased onboard would be helpful for texting.

Any info is definitely appreciated !

We have utilized the wifi package and used a messaging app in place of cellular texting. We had a group of 15+ on Summit last year and we used facebook messenger and created a group chat. Individually or as a group you can also do voice calls or depending on wifi signal stength video calling.

Another option depending on your cell provider which i will try out in August is wifi calling. We have Verizon and they have a wifi calling option. With the phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on and accessed i can make calls to any phone and it is billed same as normal calling. Not sure if all providers offer this option or not.

Have a great trip.

You won’t find a free messaging app on Celebrity such as other cruise lines have.

You write that you want to avoid cell phone roaming charges so I am guessing you aren’t interested in buying unlimited internet.

But if you are, then You should investigate calling over WiFi. You need newer model smart phones.

Otherwise just leave messages on each other’s stateroom phones.

I was able to text like crazy through wifi (Verizon, using an iPhone), when on my last cruise to Europe. Only my friend, who has AT&T had trouble getting my texts, no one else.

Text can be done through wifi.

Thank you for the responses.

Our iPhones are serviced by AT&T.

I may have to purchase an internet package on board and use the messaging app through the package as was suggested.

Our friends have Verizon for their iPhones. I am not sure what they will decide to do.

We may have to rely on the cabin phones and post it notes!

Thank you for your replies.

I will have the internet package for my upcoming Celebrity cruise. Will I be able to text family back home on my cell phone during the cruise, while keeping the phone in airplane mode, or should I communicate via instant messenger?

If you upgrade to Go Best, you get unlimited internet included. If you have internet, you can use Facebook or an app like WeChat to text. If you don't want to purchase the internet, I'd suggest looking into purchasing some of those walkie talkies (haven't used them since all our kids got cell phones, and not sure if you can use them on the ship, but that could work).

• 1 month later...
If you upgrade to Go Best, you get unlimited internet included. If you have internet, you can use Facebook or an app like WeChat to text. If you don't want to purchase the internet, I'd suggest looking into purchasing some of those walkie talkies (haven't used them since all our kids got cell phones, and not sure if you can use them on the ship, but that could work).

Good info. I am thinking of bringing my Appe Ipad for use mostly in the cabin for texting, games, facebook, etc. Wondering if its worth the price of the internet package? Our carrier is Verizon, should that matter. Leaving soon and any info anyone can give will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.:confused::)