Radiance - can the balcony dividers between non-connecting rooms be opened?

We are looking at an Alaska cruise on Radiance for June 2019. I was shocked to find that all connecting balcony rooms are already sold out (and I thought I was a ridiculously early planner!). In any case, we’ll be traveling with our 2 boys who will be 13 and 15. I’m comfortable being next door but not connecting, but wondered if we’d be able to open the balcony divider between our rooms if our rooms aren’t connecting? That would make for a convenient way to go room-to-room without having to go out into the hallway.

We’ve had the balcony divider opened on other ships when we’ve had connecting rooms, but we’ve never been on Radiance, so I’m not sure if you can even open the balcony dividers on that ship? And since we’ve always had connecting rooms, I don’t know if the dividers can be opened between non-connecting rooms.

Thanks!!

Edited to add: just found some OLD posts (10 years old!) saying the dividers can’t be opened on Radiance. Now I’m wondering/hoping this was changed during an intervening refurbishment, maybe??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't say for certain, but if they weren't openable 10 years ago, I'm betting they are not openable now. The only reason dividers were made openable at all, was as a result of the Star Princess fire, and it was only to allow emergency crews to move from one balcony to the next fighting a fire. This SOLAS requirement to have openable dividers was passed in 2006, and as nearly all maritime regulations, older vessels are not required to meet the new requirements. Since Radiance was built in 2000, she was grandfathered. There is no benefit to the cruise line to make these openable, so I would bet that they have not been modified. Having open balcony dividers is a fire hazard, and most lines limit the total number that can be opened at any time, and the number in a row that can be opened.

I can't say for certain, but if they weren't openable 10 years ago, I'm betting they are not openable now. The only reason dividers were made openable at all, was as a result of the Star Princess fire, and it was only to allow emergency crews to move from one balcony to the next fighting a fire. This SOLAS requirement to have openable dividers was passed in 2006, and as nearly all maritime regulations, older vessels are not required to meet the new requirements. Since Radiance was built in 2000, she was grandfathered. There is no benefit to the cruise line to make these openable, so I would bet that they have not been modified. Having open balcony dividers is a fire hazard, and most lines limit the total number that can be opened at any time, and the number in a row that can be opened.

I guess we will find out in July. We are cruising with friends that are booked right beside us. I was hoping to open it up between us.