Thanks to the board for your advice!

Just wanted to post back after our UK trip. Just got back this afternoon, and am fading fast...

I'd posted about traveling in the Birmingham area as I had a business trip in that area. We arrived at Heathrow on Sunday the 10th, and had a car service out of Birmingham pick us up and drive us to Tamworth. We had six nights in Tamworth while I attended meetings in the area and my wife explored the town. Lovely place, and two of the best Indian meals I've ever eaten! Also a visit and formal meal at the Memorial Arboretum in Lichfield.

On Saturday, we picked up a car from Enterprise in Tamworth (unfortunately, they wouldn't "pick you up" on a Saturday), and after a little trepidation, and one very confusing traffic circle/interchange, we headed for Stratford-upon-Avon. I believe that was Cotswold Eagle's suggestion, and it was a good one. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, which proved to be not only a very nice hotel, but very nicely located for visiting the town. We thoroughly enjoyed the time there! Never made it into Birmingham. We visited 4 of the 5 Shakespeare houses, and explored the town. On Sunday, we ventured out to Northleach and spent a good part of the day exploring the area.

We had booked advance purchase first class tickets on Virgin Trains from Birmingham International to Euston for GBP 54. Easy drive to the train, easy trip from the rental car return to the train station, and a very nice ride into London. We had a reservation on points at the Marriott Park Lane, and took off exploring with a plan to visit the National Gallery. Completely unknown to us, the National Gallery is hosting an exhibit into July of Monet and Architecture. We are both huge fans of impressionist art, and here, unexpectedly, was an exhibit of 77 works by one of our favorite artists! We had 2 1/2 nice days wandering around London, including a long visit to Hyde Park and Kensington Garden. Quick cab to Paddington this morning, and 14 day advance purchase tickets on the Express, followed by an 8 hour flight back to Dulles and an hour ride home, and we're back in Virginia.

So, my one follow up to the folks who were so helpful before, how is London over Christmas?

Glad you had a pleasant stay.

"how is London over Christmas?" The popular shopping streets can be very busy: Covent Garden, Oxford Street, Regent Street, Knightsbridge, Carnaby Street, Mayfair, St James's can all be very crowded, but London does get dressed up for the occasion and crowds are part of it.

Just bear in mind that we celebrate for two days at Christmas, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, 26th December, so two public holidays when most things are closed. Just something to take into consideration when planning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just bear in mind that we celebrate for two days at Christmas, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, 26th December, so two public holidays when most things are closed. Just something to take into consideration when planning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah. That’s the one thing we’re wondering about. Right now we can get to London for a reasonable fare, and I can get the hotel on points. We’re used to NYC at Christmas, but everything is open again on the 26th. I don’t have a good feel for what we would be able to do on Boxing Day.

Yeah. That’s the one thing we’re wondering about. Right now we can get to London for a reasonable fare, and I can get the hotel on points. We’re used to NYC at Christmas, but everything is open again on the 26th. I don’t have a good feel for what we would be able to do on Boxing Day.

Actually, most of the shops will be open that day, because they start their big ‘sales’ that day. I am not sure about sightseeing places, you could check their websites. Some restaurants might be shut and some might have special higher cost Boxing Day menus. Really it is just a matter of checking that whatever you want to do that day is open and not just assuming it will be.

I guess we'll find out for ourselves!

United had flights at a reasonable price on dates we could travel, and both flights let me use my remaining global upgrades (and should put me over the limit for 1K next year as well). So tickets bought, hotel reserved. We'll get to London on the 23rd and leave on the 29th. Something different from our usual trips to NYC at Christmas!

I guess we'll find out for ourselves!

United had flights at a reasonable price on dates we could travel, and both flights let me use my remaining global upgrades (and should put me over the limit for 1K next year as well). So tickets bought, hotel reserved. We'll get to London on the 23rd and leave on the 29th. Something different from our usual trips to NYC at Christmas!

That’s great! I hope you have a wonderful time.

You should go to see the big Christmas Tree in Trafalgar Square, given by Norway every year as thanks for help in the war. They usually have carol singers there in the evenings. Then there are the Xmas lights across the main shopping streets of Oxford Street and Regent Street. Selfidges department store in Oxford Street always used to have great Christmas window displays in my childhood, but I have no idea if they do still!

You should perhaps book your main meal on Christmas Day well in advance to be sure of getting something to eat.

Glad your trip worked out - and that you got down into the Cotswolds from Stratford, of course! Northleach has a glorious church, which maybe you saw.

Christmas in London will be very busy in the days beforehand, as Bob said, but pretty quiet on the day itself. If it’s a good weather day, it’s a great time for walking London!

Practical issues;

- most major public museums and galleries will be closed 24-26 December inclusive

- no public transport at all (no buses,tubes, trains) on Christmas Day

So you may need to plan what you are going to do and, as a previous poster said, there will be no shortage of places to eat on Christmas Day but do book well in advance (and be prepared to pay a special price for the special menu!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums