1st Time Overall Cruise Tips?

AmandaP2185

Don't forget the sunblock. Reapply often, especially if you're in the water or sweating. I always feel so badly for people when they're burned and in pain on vacation.

Join your roll call and start chatting with the folks on your sailing. Cruising can be a great way to meet new people and it's really a social event. Don't be shy about meeting people outside your demographic.

Take a quiet night one evening to watch the sunset or stargaze. Savor the ocean sounds.

I echo the advice to get to your embarkation city at least a day before.

Also the advice not to plan out every moment. I don't plan any of our onboard time prior to the cruise...I will look at the ship's newsletter (usually on many cruises, at night, you'll receive the next day's) and see if there's anything that interests me. My hubby doesn't really bother with the activities, unless I mention something like trivia or the night time entertainment (he might go to the gym, and then if he took his guitar, find a place to play).

I'm the one who borrows guide books from the library and also will google each port to come up with possibilities. Then the three of us will get together to narrow down sightseeing venues. I will also check out out what excursions are available from the ship (my hubby has preferred those as opposed to the ones we've used from an indy contractor, but most of the time, we do things on our own...his other request: no rental cars).

But we try to keep port time flexible...and have even changed our plans while in port.

As for packing, some people will suggest things that you won't even need.