Emerald Beach or Sapphire Beach

Illinois cruiser

Arriving early march on Fascination. I think Emerald beach is closer to the cruise port, but is it or Sapphire beach nicer? I am looking for a peaceful beach with beautiful views and clear water, etc. Can anyone give me a comparison of the two?

Thank you! I appreciate the cruise critic recommendations.

Waiting for a reply to this question as well. I will be traveling with my young adult daughter. I would like to see St John, and she wants to go to a nice beach. Would Emerald or Sapphire be best, or would St John have a pretty beach too? Really only want to stay 2-3 hours on the beach.

Stopped at both this past Wed while cruising on the Crown. The taxi guys will tell you Emerald is closed... not true! Emerald Beach Resort is operating...used to be the Best Western. Friendly staff...and water was clear and calm. Sapphire was in rough shape but trying really really hard...still no power and very little shade with no umbrellas. The surf at Sapphire was really rough but water clear. I was scoping spots for a trip that was originally slated for St John next month.

Sapphire is our favorite beach on STT. The views are amazing. Emerald is a little closer to the port and nice too. Either one is a good choice.

St. John beaches are beautiful, but if you are only wanting to go for a couple of hours, I'm not sure it is worth it. Cab to Red Hook, ferry to St. John, then cab to beach, then vise versa.

• 3 weeks later...

We were at Sapphire on 2/21. The beach is narrow but there were 2 bars operating and chairs were available. I think it’s was $9.00 each for the day. One bar has a great Painkiller! Beer was $3 or $4 and Coke was $3.

The sea was rough and we had some rain move through while there but overall, I’d go back. Beat being at work!

We were at Sapphire on 2/21. The beach is narrow but there were 2 bars operating and chairs were available. I think it’s was $9.00 each for the day. One bar has a great Painkiller! Beer was $3 or $4 and Coke was $3.

The sea was rough and we had some rain move through while there but overall, I’d go back. Beat being at work!

Thanks for the update! I'll be in St. Thomas in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are unexpectedly going to St Thomas tomorrow, due to an itineray change.

How long is the taxi ride to Emerald Beach please, and how much does it cost? Unfortunately I don't know where we will be docking.

Is there just one place to rent the umbrella & chairs from, or should be head to a certain resort?

I usually research all this in advance, so thanks for your help :)

Debsjc ... We are on the same ship and I am checking too. What I have seen so far is between $4-$7 cab fare depends on where we port.

Recent reports of Emerald beach open, beach bars and restaurants open. Beach in good condition but rocky entry.

Chairs $7 umbrellas $10.

Debsjc ... We are on the same ship and I am checking too. What I have seen so far is between $4-$7 cab fare depends on where we port.

Recent reports of Emerald beach open, beach bars and restaurants open. Beach in good condition but rocky entry.

Chairs $7 umbrellas $10.

It is the Emerald Beach resort....formerly the Best Western Resort. They have a website that give you numbers if you need a contact.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Sapphire Beach last week and enjoyed it....Not crowded at all and they had chairs available....a little shade under some trees....beautiful water and views and two bars open and I grill. Snorkling was just ok.. I'd go back !

• 1 month later...

The bar at Emerald Beach was pricey in comparison to other stops in the Caribbean on Fascination. Only Grand Cayman was pricier In my previous travels.

Beer was $6, mixed drinks $10 to $12. 12 wings were $20.

Good thing was I found a nice tree and laid towels under. Beach chairs and umbrella were $7 a piece, which was fine for a full day but with only 2 hours I did not use.

And it goes without saying . . . the beach, bar, scenery and area were really nice. The only reason I won’t return is because there are many other beaches to check out on St. Thomas but no issues spending the day here.