Missed pre booking tickets to Leaning Tower of Pisa

olimog

Hi Everyone,

I have just gone online to book tickets for the Leaning Tower and the time slots I was thinking have gone. Has anyone experience of turning up early (expect to be there by 8.30) and queueing for a ticket? We will be there in 3 weeks so it will be height of the tourist season!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andi x:confused:

In peak times you need to book well in advance, and take any time you can get . Beggars can't be choosers !!!! They only ley in around 25 - 30 per 15 minutes so numbers are strictly limited . Don't expect to turn up and get a ticket no matter how early you get there, as they are often booked out days in advance, especially at peak times. We were there in September last year which is shoulder peak and they were booked out 5 days in advance . Luckily we had booked our tix and waltzed straight in at the appointed time.

You take your voucher to the tix office which is on the far left of the piazza as you face the entry door 30 minutes before your assigned entry time. Go to the Pre Paid/Booked Casa . Here your Voucher will be exchanged for actual tickets then queue up outside the Tower 10 - 15 minutes before your assigned time. Do not be late or you will not get in, and no refunds . On admission you are allowed firstly about half way up and go out and look . When the preceeding group comes down from the top your group will then be allowed to climb to the top . You then come down and out, your total visit will be 30 minutes to the second. The whole thing is run with military precision .

If you cannot get into the Leaning Tower at Pisa consider the now Leaning Colloseum in Rome !!!!!

Thanks for your post but as we are on a tour to Pisa and Lucca I do not have the luxury of picking anytime, maybe we should aim for our return rather than first thing. Thank you again for your post:)

Hi Everyone,

I have just gone online to book tickets for the Leaning Tower and the time slots I was thinking have gone. Has anyone experience of turning up early (expect to be there by 8.30) and queueing for a ticket? We will be there in 3 weeks so it will be height of the tourist season!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andi x:confused:

We just returned from our Mediterranean cruise which included a visit to Pisa. We were able to get tickets on site. We had to wait a few minutes to climb as they only allow people in every 30 minutes. They save some tickets for onsite purchases.

Judy

We are booked to go there with Rome In Limo next week. They said we did not have to purchase tickets ahead of time, but to let the driver know as soon as we depart if we wish to get tickets. If it is super hot, I wasn't sure we would want to do it, but otherwise we will.

I was thinking that I had missed getting tickets in advance for the Uffizi as there weren't any available online, but I eventually saw information about phoning up. It was so easy once I did - I could nominate the time I wanted and they just took my name and gave a reference number.

It was a few years ago and at the suggestion of RIL they told us no need to prebook in the morning. Makes sense as early you get first dibs but later in the day you get the build of of people that bump from early filled up to later and later. If I was to chance I'd say go early!

We departed 7am sharp and were at Pisa bright and early and sure enough there were lots of tickets, YMMV.

Not sure if they sell every space prebook, would sound like a very bad strategy. I'd venture to guess some reserved for prebook and some first come first serve.

961495361_4170_Pisa_Timeandspacefor9amclimb.jpg.d89c4daf3125e2ce11f25228d4c5d37c.jpg

Not sure if they sell every space prebook, would sound like a very bad strategy. I'd venture to guess some reserved for prebook and some first come first serve.

You are correct, they hold back a portion of the tickets for walk-ups. Like anything else, if it would make or break your vacation to miss climbing the tower, you should reserve tickets ahead. If it would be sad, but not critical, you might be comfortable taking a chance on getting them on the spot.

• 1 month later...

Just to update you all. I pre booked tickets for 3.30pm which was one of the first times available that day. When we got there, there were no more tickets until 5.30pm. So I would advise anyone to pre book if you don't have time to hang around. We were there in the absolute height of summer so it may not be as bad other times of the year.

If booking early, how can one ensure that they are there by the time they need to be? Having to gauge the train & travel time, I'd be afraid of either missing the booking time, or booking too late & not having enough time to still head into Florence.:confused:

If booking early, how can one ensure that they are there by the time they need to be? Having to gauge the train & travel time, I'd be afraid of either missing the booking time, or booking too late & not having enough time to still head into Florence.:confused:

There is no way to be positive, but you can know your options and be prepared to make tradeoffs.

For example, if for some reason you can't get off the ship in time to make the train you need to get to Pisa for your reservation, is it important enough to you to spend extra money for a taxi from Livorno to Pisa? That's an option, but it's going to cost some money.

There's also a bus option (from Piazza Grande in Livorno), the timetable is here: http://www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra/E010I_FR.pdf

Archived