A few questions on Insurance options where PEC/Medical issues are the primary concern

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:27 AM.
Georgia
6 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Hello All. I’m looking into Travel insurance to cover a trip to the Caribbean in Nov ’18 on the Symphony. I’m going to be traveling with my mom (69) who has had major health issues in the past, but has been relatively healthy over the last year, so a plan with good health coverage is my main concern, with trip cancellation the next priority. I’m def looking at plans that will give us the PEC waiver before the final payment, as we are out of the 21 day window from deposit (paid on 1/15/18). Also, we have another family member that is added on to our reservation, but is covering their own expenses.

1. For the plans we have access too, they have $50k, $100k, and $250k medical limits. My mom’s health issues include heart problems, so a $50K limit makes me nervous. For those of you that have done claims, what has been the upper limit to the claims you submitted?

2. After reading about GeoBlue, I’m looking at the pro/cons of possibly purchasing 2 policies to make sure we have quality medical coverage, and then get a less expensive comprehensive plan to cover the potential trip cancellation portion. Has anyone done that or is that just a bad idea? I’m trying to get the best balance of cost and coverage.

3. Since most policies dictate that you must insure the entire portion of your trip, how does my cousin that is tagging along fit in? Do I need to include them on the insurance purchase, along with all of their prepaid costs (Cruise fare, flight, prepaids, etc), or do I just estimate what me and my mom have to pay?

For now, based on the need for the PEC waiver based on final payment, IMG iTravelInsured LX, Nationwide Choice/Luxury Cruise, and CSA Freedom seem to be the only options we have. CSA was the one recommended on the Trip Insurance store, but it’s also the one with the lowest medical coverage, $50k, and is also the most expensive option. The others I found on Insure my trip.

Sorry if a lot of these questions are answered before. I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread and just want make sure I’m going about this the best way. TIA!
Georgia
6 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by 6rugrats
Why not ask an agent at one of these sites you mention?
Well, I guess I decided to ask here because I wanted some real world experience and feedback. I was able to find the answer to my 3rd question, but 1 & 2 are about actual experience.

....I thought these boards were for getting and sharing information... (I guess I was wrong?)
USA
3,103 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by amberlina202
Well, I guess I decided to ask here because I wanted some real world experience and feedback. I was able to find the answer to my 3rd question, but 1 & 2 are about actual experience.

....I thought these boards were for getting and sharing information... (I guess I was wrong?)
Some of the "sharing information" includes suggesting experts elsewhere.

We always recommend CALLING an insurance broker.
We use
www.TripInsuranceStore.com

but there are others.
We STRONGLY suggest NOT relying upon the online summaries. The "fine print" really matters.

We usually get PEC converage through TIS, using policies from Travel Insured, but they've got that 20 day rule.

The one time we missed that, we used TIS to purchase a policy from CSA.
But as you've found, there are some aspects to that policy that aren't quite optimal.
(Their CFAR coverage is also extra expensive, which adds a lot, plus the somewhat lesser coverage.)

Ask them about the other traveling companion, too.

We've had several claims with Travel Insured, and they've paid fully, with no nonsense.

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

GeezerCouple [at] yahoo [dot] com
15,316 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Why would the amount of anyone else's claim have any relevance to what you might claim? Ten posters could tell you their claims were $10,000, but if you have a medical emergency your claim could be $400,000. Your carrier will pay up to the limits of coverage for a covered loss.

There are many thousands of travel insurance companies and types of policies. Not only that, coverage and policies vary by state. It's better to speak with an agent with your specific concerns/questions.
Georgia
6 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Thank you for your comments GeezerCouple, I really appreciate the CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. I have given TIS a call. CSA is the only plan I can get through them that meets what we need, so at this point I have to decide if I specifically want to go through them for this plan or take my chances with a plan from one of the other sites that has other offerings.

Originally posted by GeezerCouple
Some of the "sharing information" includes suggesting experts elsewhere.

We always recommend CALLING an insurance broker.
We use
www.TripInsuranceStore.com

but there are others.
We STRONGLY suggest NOT relying upon the online summaries. The "fine print" really matters.

We usually get PEC converage through TIS, using policies from Travel Insured, but they've got that 20 day rule.

The one time we missed that, we used TIS to purchase a policy from CSA.
But as you've found, there are some aspects to that policy that aren't quite optimal.
(Their CFAR coverage is also extra expensive, which adds a lot, plus the somewhat lesser coverage.)

Ask them about the other traveling companion, too.

We've had several claims with Travel Insured, and they've paid fully, with no nonsense.

GC