We are Booked!! f 42 day WC segment Luminosa Feb/March 2019 ? re Pitcairn Island

MortgageChick

Good Morning...this will be our longest trip yet and not a lot of time to pull all the details together ( air ,house sitter , excursions etc)

Will spend 4 or 5 hours a week going forward. I would like to know if anyone here has anchored at Pitcairn Island on a Large ship like the Luminosa. The itinerary notes us there from 12 noon until 3pm, and I realize that the Luminosa is too big to tender people to shore so what is the norm here...do they bring locals on board to make a presentation about the island?

Thanks in advance

Good Morning...this will be our longest trip yet and not a lot of time to pull all the details together ( air ,house sitter , excursions etc)

Will spend 4 or 5 hours a week going forward. I would like to know if anyone here has anchored at Pitcairn Island on a Large ship like the Luminosa. The itinerary notes us there from 12 noon until 3pm, and I realize that the Luminosa is too big to tender people to shore so what is the norm here...do they bring locals on board to make a presentation about the island?

Thanks in advance

We visited Pitcairn Islands on our 2015 WC. They have no real dock ashore to speak of, so ships don't dock or anchor. The Captain will adjust course to create a lee and the locals come out to the ship on their own boat, which is launched down a slipway.

The locals board the cruise ship using the pilot ladder, then lift the floor boards of their boat to reveal numerous boxes, which are lifted aboard the ship. One of the locals provided a presentation in the theatre, while the others set up a marketplace on the upper decks.

While the locals were aboard, the Captain circumnavigated the island.

Check out my blog, which is listed in the signature block for photos.

Andi & Judi are correct.

The locals will come on board. You will have a view of the Island from the ship. They will do a presentation while several others will sell goods.

Here are some photos when we visited in 2015 on the World Cruise we were on. With only 56 permanent residents back in 2015 (could be less now) you may see some of the people in these photos.

Keith

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

We stopped there in 2014 and like the others said, locals came aboard our ship and sold items. There was also a talk about their life style. At the end, I saw our ship loading boxes onto their boat and in turn, they provided lots of fresh fish. I’m sure the captain and his staff ate well for a few nights.

I remember some of the kids from the island that came aboard quickly spending their sales money on candy in our shops.

Don