A few basic questions on Constellation cruise Oct 19, 2018

erinkoundakjian

Erin and Donald from Boston area. A few basic questions:

1. Range of temperatures for our trip - need for jackets, gloves, hats?

2. Best size luggage for this 11-day cruise (plus 2 post days)? I know it's personal, but....

3. Not big drinkers - worth it to get the beverage packages?

We've traveled a fair amount, a couple cruises, but mostly with kids. Hoping for more relaxed, but stimulating experience:D.

Thanks!

1. What's your itinerary? The Med? You can google temperatures for your ports and dates. Hint: it's not Boston.

2. Yes, it's a personal choice. Some people manage with just a carry on. Others seem unable to manage without a couple of 28 inchers each, PLUS a couple of carry ons. Just don't go overboard. You don't need a different pair of shoes for every outfit. You can usually wear your dinner/evening clothes more than once. No one will notice or care. Make a list of what you will NEED to have, and stick to it. Resist the urge to add all those "just in case" items.

Also consider the baggage restrictions of the airline you will be using. You'll want to avoid paying for extra or overweight bags. A luggage scale is a very good investment. I dont bring anything larger than a 26" suitcase, since its easy to end up overweight with anything larger. Finally, leave some room in your checked luggage- you'll need it on your return home for all those souvenirs you can't resist buying.

3. There are different types of beverage packages. If you typically drink fewer than 5 or 6 alcoholic beverages every day (including port days), then the alcohol packages likely won't save you any money.

Erin and Donald from Boston area. A few basic questions:

1. Range of temperatures for our trip - need for jackets, gloves, hats?

2. Best size luggage for this 11-day cruise (plus 2 post days)? I know it's personal, but....

3. Not big drinkers - worth it to get the beverage packages?

We've traveled a fair amount, a couple cruises, but mostly with kids. Hoping for more relaxed, but stimulating experience:D.

Thanks!

PACKING

We were on a similar itinerary last year (October3-17) and the weather was wonderful. Mid 60's-80's

We should have brought at least two pairs of shorts. Wore a sweatshirt one day. Mostly capris. We even did cliff jumping in Spain.

Now I know this is the two weeks after this year. BTW, we are on the same cruise!

But I remember coming home last year and checking the weather in Europe, telling my husband, oh look, it's 78 in Spain today, LOL

LUGGAGE, we each had a medium size (24-25" bag) and one carry on wheeled 19-22" bag, and that was enough.

Our airline had a 40 lbs limit (not 50 like here in the states) so check that with yours.

If you are bringing a jacket, wear it on the plane. One less thing to put in a suitcase, and fill your pockets with some items for the plane.

DRINKS

we will only have two sea days, so unless you are a big drinker, I would bring the two allowed bottles of wine per stateroom and pack a cork screw, and then just purchase what you want. We got the classic package as one of the perks when we booked.

1. What's your itinerary? The Med? You can google temperatures for your ports and dates. Hint: it's not Boston.

2. Yes, it's a personal choice. Some people manage with just a carry on. Others seem unable to manage without a couple of 28 inchers each, PLUS a couple of carry ons. Just don't go overboard. You don't need a different pair of shoes for every outfit. You can usually wear your dinner/evening clothes more than once. No one will notice or care. Make a list of what you will NEED to have, and stick to it. Resist the urge to add all those "just in case" items.

Also consider the baggage restrictions of the airline you will be using. You'll want to avoid paying for extra or overweight bags. A luggage scale is a very good investment. I dont bring anything larger than a 26" suitcase, since its easy to end up overweight with anything larger. Finally, leave some room in your checked luggage- you'll need it on your return home for all those souvenirs you can't resist buying.

3. There are different types of beverage packages. If you typically drink fewer than 5 or 6 alcoholic beverages every day (including port days), then the alcohol packages likely won't save you any money.

Hi, Thanks for getting back - very helpful. Think we'll layer up but leave cold weather coats in the car. I'm thinking now the 25 inch suitcases should be about right for us to handle - plus the carryon's with necessities, change of clothes. Also, I'm thinking about the non-alcoholic beverage plan for one of us - to supplement the coffee/juice/water available at meals.

PACKING

We were on a similar itinerary last year (October3-17) and the weather was wonderful. Mid 60's-80's

We should have brought at least two pairs of shorts. Wore a sweatshirt one day. Mostly capris. We even did cliff jumping in Spain.

Now I know this is the two weeks after this year. BTW, we are on the same cruise!

But I remember coming home last year and checking the weather in Europe, telling my husband, oh look, it's 78 in Spain today, LOL

LUGGAGE, we each had a medium size (24-25" bag) and one carry on wheeled 19-22" bag, and that was enough.

Our airline had a 40 lbs limit (not 50 like here in the states) so check that with yours.

If you are bringing a jacket, wear it on the plane. One less thing to put in a suitcase, and fill your pockets with some items for the plane.

DRINKS

we will only have two sea days, so unless you are a big drinker, I would bring the two allowed bottles of wine per stateroom and pack a cork screw, and then just purchase what you want. We got the classic package as one of the perks when we booked.

Hi, MCazer,

This is great - right on point! Especially appreciate tips on shorts/warmer weather clothes - I was thinking cooler than that. Yes, wear the jacket - with stuff in pockets! And that sounds like plenty of wine for us. Appreciate the response - hope to meet you onboard. Erin

Thanks to posters for quick, helpful replies. And now - a tip to share - if you haven't already booked other excursions, Celebrity Cruises offering 20 percent discount on selected excursions for limited time (so they say, I'm sure they're tying to fill). OR - if you have booked the excursions at full price, you can go back, cancel, and re-book at lesser rate. That's what I did.