15 day Yukon and Triple Denali Land and Sea

CAVE MAN

Hi Fellow Cruisers, We are looking at 2018, 15 Yukon Denali Land and Sea Tour. Wondering if anyone did it this year and what you thought. The one we are looking at has you on a train a bus and then a plane before you get on the ship. Any thoughts would be so appreciated. Many thanks, Carlotta and Wayne

It's probably going to be difficult to get reviews on exactly the tour you are looking at but have a look at these 2 threads which will likely include most of the elements of your tour:

I notice that one of these threads is missing a lot of photos. My guess is they were posted from photobucket which had changed their service.\

I'm booked on a tour which is probably very close to yours, but I'm starting with a 3 day cruise on the Volendam to the Yukon, and then independently continuing on the Westerdam back to Vancouver.

Sorry for the false start; my links aren't working. I'll try again.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Fix links

I still cannot get the links to work. Try searching for threads started by shrimpboat123 and by LiveLifeLoud.

Roy

I have recently deleted my Photobucket account. That's why the original picture review doesn't work anymore. The text part should be OK.

Hi Fellow Cruisers, We are looking at 2018, 15 Yukon Denali Land and Sea Tour. Wondering if anyone did it this year and what you thought. The one we are looking at has you on a train a bus and then a plane before you get on the ship. Any thoughts would be so appreciated. Many thanks, Carlotta and Wayne

Are you starting in Vancouver or Anchorage? We have done the Yukon tours from Anchorage, train to Denali, bus to Fairbanks, plane to Dawson City, bus to Whitehorse, bus and White Pass railroad to Skagway for overnight, join the ship for a four day cruise to Vancouver (Y2L). I do recommend this tour. We have done it three times. With 15 days you will have time in each location to actually enjoy your surroundings. We did 20 day Yukon tour (Y1) this year but wouldn't do it again. I really prefer the shorter cruise with at least two nights in each location). If you have lots of time you could cruise from Vancouver three days north, join the ship in Skagway, do the tour and sail for 7 days from Seward back to Vancouver. You will really appreciate the ship to rest for four days after your adventure...and you will have friends from your tour onboard.

Are you starting in Vancouver or Anchorage? We have done the Yukon tours from Anchorage, train to Denali, bus to Fairbanks, plane to Dawson City, bus to Whitehorse, bus and White Pass railroad to Skagway for overnight, join the ship for a four day cruise to Vancouver (Y2L). I do recommend this tour. We have done it three times. With 15 days you will have time in each location to actually enjoy your surroundings. We did 20 day Yukon tour (Y1) this year but wouldn't do it again. I really prefer the shorter cruise with at least two nights in each location). If you have lots of time you could cruise from Vancouver three days north, join the ship in Skagway, do the tour and sail for 7 days from Seward back to Vancouver. You will really appreciate the ship to rest for four days after your adventure...and you will have friends from your tour onboard.

Dear Oaktreeb, We start in Anchorage, and end in Vancouver. Happy to know that you recommend this tour. We have cruised Alaska twice but have never taken a land tour. I was just trying to find out as much as possible before I booked the tour. Many thanks, Carlotta

• 6 months later...

Alaska is a place that gets a lot of rain, so waterproof footwear is recommended, especially with good non-slip soles. Whether you wear ankle boot height or low (sneaker height) shoes is up to your comfort zone. But I wouldn't recommend tennis shoes because the will get soggy, and soggy shoes are just miserable IMHO. m--

I would like to know what kind of boots were needed...say for Whitehorse? For panning for gold? Or can you just get by with tennis shoes? Thanks.

I always take 2 pair of shoes that have a sole that will not slip and will keep my feet dry if I go for a hike. It really depends on what you plan to do. The gold panning that is included in Fairbanks is well organized in raised troughs with warm water and a “poke” to pan for gold. If you do any hiking you may encounter damp slippery paths. If you walk around town you should have no problem. There is a very nice walking path by the river in Whitehorse. Dawson City can be very messy when it rains but they do have boardwalks....which helps.