Australia/New Zealand and Jewel questions

pjo

Our family just took its first cruise with NCL on a 10 day Canary Islands cruise on the Spirit. We had a terrific time. We are long time cruisers, but this was our first time with NCL. We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and the UBP. Now we are looking at a cruise out of Sydney, Australia that makes multiple stops in New Zealand. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has been to Sydney and New Zealand. Also, if anyone has been on the Jewel recently I would like to hear about what you think about the ship.

Paul

Not sure how much research you've done yet but here are few threads that might generate some interest and specific questions you might have:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2582110&highlight=jewel

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592936&highlight=jewel

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2575790&highlight=jewel

We were on the Jewel Jan 5-21 and did Australia and New Zealand. The ports are wonderful but we did miss Bay of Islands due to rough seas. We felt the Jewel was in good shape, the staff friendly and accommodating, and the food good. I would do the same cruise in a heartbeat.

I also did a review with the following heading but don’t know how to put the link here so I’m giving you the title and hope you can locate it. I did a review of our suite, restaurants, entertainment, and tours we did.

Australia/New Zealand Review Jan 5-21, 2018

I also did a review with the following heading but don’t know how to put the link here so I’m giving you the title and hope you can locate it. I did a review of our suite, restaurants, entertainment, and tours we did.

Australia/New Zealand Review Jan 5-21, 2018

Here is the link to your review. I am considering some variation of an Australia/New Zealand cruise in the next few years. Have never been to either place. Thanks for your review.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2590100

I think if you click on my name, then a drop down menu appears and you can click on “Find all posts by mertziek” and look for my review. I did it in 4 parts and covered precruise Sydney tours/things to do as well as the Jewel herself and our port visits. We loved this cruise and the large number of port visits plus cruising in the Sounds. We felt like we saw a lot of NZ and by doing tours precruise in Sydney felt we got a good idea of the east part of Australia. Only regret was not getting to the Outback although friends of ours did and loved it, too. Ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

I might be a little biased, but I think it's a beautiful part of the world to sail in! Just as an FYI there are a lot of cruise lines who do Australia/NZ, NCL itself is very limited down here, none of their ships actually port themselves here, they just seem to pass through occasionally. It's mostly RCI, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity, and sometimes HAL and Cunard. Sydney is a major port, but ships also go from Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle (Perth), and Auckland in NZ. Celebrity and Princess will sometimes do a cruise that goes right around Australia, usually Fremantle to Sydney, or vice versa. Many of them go from Australia right around NZ multiple times. Just so you know all your options!

Sail away from Sydney really is incredible. One of the most beautiful harbors in the world.