Need help choosing a private tour in SPB: 2 options

I’m very torn between these 2 private tour options, one from TJ and one from best tours. I’d appreciate advice from someone who’s gone to SPB with kids especially.

It’s for our family of 4, 2 kids are 10 and 13. I didn’t want to do the kid oriented tours as they seemed geared for younger kids, but I wanted to include elements they’d especially like so I asked for Grand Maket, Cat Republic (see my user name) and also video game museum if possible

See the itineraries below. Questions:

-will we miss Catherine’s palace / Amber room which isn’t included the Best tour. Is it realistic to do that instead of st isaacs?

-will we miss not having early admission to the hermitage if we go with Best Tours? Best tours tells me early admission isn’t worth the extra cost

-does the TJ tour seem too exhausting on day 1?

-price seems to be about $100less for TJ so fairly negligible

-is see TJ doesn’t include the hydrofoil, how significant is that?

-is there something I should ask for instead?

1. Best Tours

Day 1

09.00 Meeting the guide at the cruise ship terminal

09.00-10.00 City orientation tour (part I)

10.00-10.30 Hydrofoil to Peterhof

11.00 Ceremonial launch of fountains

11.00-13.00 Peterhof ''Paradise of Fountains'' tour/quest of the Low

park and inside visit to one of the lesser Imperial palaces

13.00-13.30 Lunch time

13.30-14.30 Drive back to St.Petersburg

14.30-15.30 Grand Maket Russia. Visit the largest layout of Russia and

get a general idea about the whole country: its geography, nature,

history and economy

15.30-16.00 Drive to the center

16.00-17.30 St. Isaac's Cathedral (interior & the Colonnade)

18.00 End of the day program/ at the ship

Day 2

09.00 Meeting at the ship

09.00-10.00 City orientation tour (part 2 )

10.00-11.00 tour of the Church on Spilled Blood

11.00-12.00 visit to Cats’ Republic

12.00-13.00 Lunch time

13.00-15.00 Hermitage museum.

Luxurious state rooms of the Russian tsars and most famous masterpieces

15.00-16.30 Museum of Soviet arcade machines (brief tour of the museum

and 15 games).

16.30-17.00 Drive back to the sea port

17.00 At the ship

2. TJ

Day 1

Meeting by the ship. City tour includes driving and photo stops in the most beautiful, historical places of St. Petersburg. A visit to a farmer’s market and a subway station.

Driving to Peterhof

Guided tour of the Upper Gardens and Lower Fountain Park

Lunch (expenses not included)

Driving to Pushkin city

Inside guided tour of Catherine Palace with the Amber Room

Driving to the city

Return to the ship or optional evening program (theatre / folk show / boat trip) (Cat Republic would be at this time)

DAY 2

Meeting by the ship. Payment for the tour. Shopping

Boat ride along the rivers and canals

Inside guided tour of the Hermitage Museum early admisson, before the official opening hours)

Traditional Russian lunch (expenses not included)

Inside guided tour of the Church of the Spilt Blood

Inside guided tour of the Grand Maket (scale model (1:87) of Russia, permanent interactive exhibition)

Return to the ship

I can say we had an amazing 2 day tour with TJ Travel...but we did a private tour with just DH, myself, guide & driver. This way we were able to easily rearrange the order of things and added additional places we wanted to see...even on the spur of the moment as we drove. We also did do the hydrofoil which was included.

Our tour was truly VIP we never waited in line for anything...everyone seemed to know our guide and we were always ushered to the front everywhere..our driver would even at times pull up on the curb (they do that apparently in Russia)...we've never been treated like this on any other private tour we've done.

TJ Travel (Tatiana & Julia) are just amazing...Even after several years we never fail to receive a Xmas card from them.

You certainly won't regret booking with them .... but do consider doing a private tour ... one that will be just for your family....that makes all the difference for your itinerary.

One of my kids' favourite experiences that they still talk about was the subway with its very very long escalators, so I would try to include that.

The hydrofoil ride was fun, but it was enclosed, and a lot of the fun was watching the other hydrofoils as they skimmed across the water. I wouldn't say that it's necessary.

Similarly, Catherine's Palace and the Amber Room were interesting, but not strictly necessary. My kids preferred the Peterhof fountains and the Hermitage.

Yes, the Hermitage does get very crowded after regular entry -- but since you're a private group, I wouldn't think that the crowds are as much of an issue for you as they'd be for tour groups of 12+ people.

Honestly, I think you'd be pleased with either option.

If you want to add Catherine's Palace to the Best Guides tour I would take out visiting the Peterhof palace and you would have to skip or spend less time at St. Isaac's.

I am sure TJ will add the hydrofoil if that is important to you. I can't remember the cost. We chose to skip it and will be skipping it again on our second visit.

1. <<will we miss Catherine’s palace / Amber room which isn’t included the Best tour. Is it realistic to do that instead of st isaacs?>> Perhaps, if they move some things around. Catherine's Palace is in Pushkin and you'd need to go there after Peterhof and not after you are back in the city.

2. <<-will we miss not having early admission to the hermitage if we go with Best Tours? Best tours tells me early admission isn’t worth the extra cost>> I'd disagree. We found it well worth it having early entry for our tour in St. Petersburg. By the time we left at noon (we arrived at 9:30 am), the place was jam-packed and there was a substantial line out the door.

3. <<-does the TJ tour seem too exhausting on day 1?>> No, that's very similar to what we did on one day of our tour. You can easily tour both the gardens at Peterhof and Catherine's Palace on one day. Then you'll have the evening for the cats.

4. <<-is see TJ doesn’t include the hydrofoil, how significant is that?>> While the hydrofoil isn't necessarily a "must", it's pretty cool to arrive by water at Peterhof -- great view of the palace and grounds and it's how the tsar would have arrived. Also, you are taking 3 bus long rides that day. It would be nice to have a hydrofoil ride in lieu of one of those bus trips.

5. <<is there something I should ask for instead?>> Yes, if you go with TJ, ask to take the hydrofoil to Peterhof instead of a bus. If you go with Best, be sure they include a subway visit and ride during one of those "city orientation" tours, even if it means you start earlier in the morning. The unique thing about the subways in St. Petersburg is not the long escalators but all the great artwork in the station. The stations we visited had mosaics, paintings and stained glass--not something you will ever see in other subway stations, particularly in the U.S.

If you could get Best to adjust their Day 1 so that you skip the tour of the lesser palace at Peterhof and skip the tour of St. Isaac's, they might be able to include the Catherine Palace in Pushkin before returning to the city for the Grand Maket Russia. And if you get them to include a subway stop, this would be a nearly perfect tour. (It would be perfect if they could arrange for a pre-opening tour of the Hermitage.)

Edited by GradUT

Yes these options are both private, I just can’t decide which to go with based on the differences between their offerings. People rave about Best and also TJ...So it’s a matter of determining which options I should go with.

Using the subway was one of the things we added on the spur of the moment to our TJ Travel tour. We also used the hydrofoil as we left Peterhof and our driver picked us and our guide up on the other side...this saved us a lot of time.

I'm not quiet sure if you're looking at a tour for just your family group or joining in on a small already booked group....that makes a big difference on flexibility.

The hydrofoil should be easy to add and might just cost a little extra. A subway ride won't take up much time and your kids might like it (that was a highlight for my son, but he was 3.5). Early admission in the Hermitage worked out great for us - it was dead empty when we arrived, and packed by the time we left. But others on the forum have reported that it is was crowded for them. Also, please note that the galleries slowly roll out opening. So not everything is open at once - rooms are added once security personnel arrive. If you plan on seeing specific paintings, then you might be disappointed if they're not open at the start of your visit.

Day one tour of Peterhof/Catherine's Palace is not to tiring - we did that with a 3.5 year old, and also visited a subway, took a canal tour, spent time in Palace Square (there were tanks there) and visited the exterior of the Church of the Spilled Blood (the weather was better on day one so we added some time day one and ended earlier on day 2). Catherine's Palace was a highlight for me personally, but you should look at the images of everywhere you might go and decide what you like best. Your kids might want bathing suits or a change of clothes at Peterhof - you are a long way from the entrance and its a long way to be wet if it is chilly. My signature line includes a lot of info on this cruise with kids, although mine was much younger (3.5).

Also, make sure they take you to Stolle. They make delicious savory and dessert pies and are a chain all over Russia. The food is wonderful and fast. Your kids will love it.

I am certain that each company can do what the other has recommended. I would find the person that you feel most comfortable communicating with and discuss the pros and cons of changing their proposal. I did not deal with TJ but the person at Best Guides was excellent a explaining why they might need to do things in a certain order etc. Agree to check the crowds that are expected when you are there and also some things may depend on opening days. Good luck.

Thanks all! I decided to go with TJ, they have added the hydrofoil. I know we can’t see everything and either one would be good, but I had an easier time communicating with TJ. And I’m sure as I read up more on things I can change up the itinerary, as we have plenty of time.

Thanks all! I decided to go with TJ, they have added the hydrofoil. I know we can’t see everything and either one would be good, but I had an easier time communicating with TJ. And I’m sure as I read up more on things I can change up the itinerary, as we have plenty of time.

You're so very welcome. I think you've made a good choice. The communications I had with Tatiana & Julia was a major reason I opted to go with TJ Travel. They responded to my many many emails and before even getting there I felt like I had two new friends in St Petersburg planning my special visit and once there that feeling certainly didn't change...it just solidified.

Enjoy this amazing way to see more and do more in this wonderful city than you ever imagined...and do opt to eat at Stolle...just delicious !

Please do come back and let me know how everything worked out for you.

Happy and safe travels to all of you and enjoy those memories you'll be making.

KittyloverCA Thank you for posting the two options.

Both sound exciting :) !

TJ’s tour plan is good if it’s your first visit to St.Pete. it covers all must-see sites and hardly anything else. Many local tour operators offer a similar standard itinerary of St.Pete’s Highlights.

Best Guides’ scenario is excellent for youngsters. My brother and I are planning a tour for 2019, and I’m sure we’ll use this scenario to set up a tour focused at the kids. I don’t think I want to spend one hour at the cats place – I’m less of a kitty lover )))))))))))))))))) – but my niece would love to see kitties.

Enjoy your cruise!

Jess