Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Vietnam

Shelly&Jack

Does anyone know the distance from the port/pier where the Azamara Quest will dock to the center of Saigon? Can you walk or take a cab?

The ship's excursion descriptions do not make a reference to taking a motor coach into the city.

If you can get to the city on your own then the price of the ship's excursion "Saigon by Rickshaw" of $49 pp is outrageous.

One excursion ends with the following:"Return to the ship at the end of the tour or remain in town for further exploration." To me this implies that you can get back to the ship quite easily.

Thanks.

Can't say for sure whether you dock at Saigon or at Vung Tau or somewhere in between. But I have seen the smaller luxury ships dock (like Seven Seas type) right at the "downtown" area of Saigon and all is easily walkable and if that is the case you can get your own driver, bicycle pedaler, etc. There is a lot of activity at that location as there is a ferry crossing there and the hyrdrofoils were all docked in that same general area. Now just need someone who knows your ship specifically (have the called the cruise line?). Seems I have seen some discussion of this on this section of the board.

Azamara docks right in the center of town at "Saigon Port" Saigon port consists of three different piers in the center of town. The ship is not assigned to a specific pier until 24 hours prior to arrival. The three piers are located as follows:

One of the following:

1. Nha Rong Port - # 3 - 5 Nguyen Tat Thanh Street, District 4, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; or

2.Tan Thuan II Port-# 243 Bui Van Ba Street, Tan Thuan Dong Ward, District 7, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; or

3.Lotus Port-# 1A Nguyen Van Quy Street, Phu Thuan Ward, District 7, Ho Chi Ming City, Vietnam

I appreciate the quick response and information provided. Per Frommer's S.E. Asia Guide, Saigon has a lot of petty crime, so leave your jewelry on the Quest and watch out for pickpockets & motor scooter purse snatchers. I think I'll buy a $5 watch to wear while visiting ports in S.E. Asia.

Also in Saigon the cab & rickshaw drivers are also known to try to extort additional money at the end of a trip so write down on a piece of paper the agreed upon amount before entering the cab and have plenty of change, since they play dumb when you ask for change at the end of your ride.

I appreciate the quick response and information provided. Per Frommer's S.E. Asia Guide, Saigon has a lot of petty crime, so leave your jewelry on the Quest and watch out for pickpockets & motor scooter purse snatchers. I think I'll buy a $5 watch to wear while visiting ports in S.E. Asia.

Also in Saigon the cab & rickshaw drivers are also known to try to extort additional money at the end of a trip so write down on a piece of paper the agreed upon amount before entering the cab and have plenty of change, since they play dumb when you ask for change at the end of your ride.

I recommend an inexpensive watch for most ports around the world. In my opinion (and I was there earlier this year) crime in this city is no worse than many other places. It is always a good idea to leave valuables on the ship.

Keith

What about Costa Allegra?. Anyway near downtown, or should I book the ship excursion. I would love to use my free time there wisely. Is it walkable, or at least the major sights?. What about the public transports? Are taxis reasonable and reliable?.

Azamara docks right in the center of town at "Saigon Port" Saigon port consists of three different piers in the center of town. The ship is not assigned to a specific pier until 24 hours prior to arrival. The three piers are located as follows:

One of the following:

1. Nha Rong Port - # 3 - 5 Nguyen Tat Thanh Street, District 4, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; or

2.Tan Thuan II Port-# 243 Bui Van Ba Street, Tan Thuan Dong Ward, District 7, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; or

3.Lotus Port-# 1A Nguyen Van Quy Street, Phu Thuan Ward, District 7, Ho Chi Ming City, Vietnam

We docked at Lotus Port aboard SuperStar Virgo in October and it was at least 1/2 hour by bus (shuttle from the ship) to the centre of town. Lotus port was right adjacent to the new big bridge over the river being built.

Azamara Quest being smaller, she may be able to sail further up the river towards HCMC and dock near the town centre (we docked there on Superstar Gemini last year) from where it was 5 mins by taxi (you could probably walk).

What about Costa Allegra?. Anyway near downtown, or should I book the ship excursion. I would love to use my free time there wisely. Is it walkable, or at least the major sights?. What about the public transports? Are taxis reasonable and reliable?.

Too big to get into Saigon-most likely Vung Tau or Phu My. The new dock in Phu My opened on November 20, so that makes the trip a little shorter. But still plan on at least an hour from Phu My.

As posted previously, the traffic in Vietnam is HORRIFIC. And as the country becomes more wealthy, the traffic just gets worse and worse. Every one who could only afford a bicycle now has a "moto". And those who had "motos" now have cars. A never ending nightmare and not getting better anytime soon.

Whether you use the ship's excursion or take a private car depends on what you want to do in Saigon (and yes, other than government types, it is still Saigon to everyone). The ships usually provide (for a fee) bus transportation to the Rex hotel. Then you are on your own. A city tour of Saigon is easy to arrange on your own. Ship transport to "town" is probably a very viable option. IF the bus is late, the ship will wait. If you are in private transport and it is late, you may miss the ship. Enjoy!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Costa Allegra DOES berth in the city center, she sails up the Vung Tao river...takes 4 hours each way and is absolutely amazing to be out on deck to watch the journey into and out of the city center.

When it comes to leave the city, a display of Vietnamese dancers will see you off, with balloons and wonderful music too.

saigon.jpg.078ed92759aaca4ef079120eae3b7c77.jpg

saigon1.jpg.1131c7ed0d826a250c6fcc2d16c8fc78.jpg

siagon.jpg.0ecdc8867964da21db3fb8b037ee63e3.jpg

siagon1.jpg.4b2427a427bbce5aea184d372986ecf6.jpg

Thank you for the delightful photos Goldryder. Fantastic news indeed. We are at the end a group of ten so we are planning renting a van with driver, to make a better use of our time.

Appart from downtown sights, what other things shouldn´t we miss?. What do the outskirts of Saigon have to offer?. Any out of the beaten track temple, village...at easy reach?.

• 1 year later...

Is the Quest still docking downtown Saigon for 2010? I am assuming from the length of the tours posted on the Azamara website that this must be the case (other wise a 4 hour tour of Saigon would be all travel time)

Thanks for any information :)

JJcruiser,

I asked this question a few days ago, and bronte2, who just took the Azamara Quest cruise, gave me very helpful information....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtpoktz viewpost.gif

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I will be on the Quest Feb. 20 sailing.

What is the name of the port at which Azamara docks in Saigon and how far from the city center is it? I had heard it was Nha Rong in Saigon port, but I can't confirm that.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

The address we were given was Quay K9-10 of Nha Rong/Kahn Hoi port. It isn't all that far from downtown but due to the horrendous traffic, it's easier to take a taxi. The best bet is to take a map from Guest Relations as taxi drivers seem to be confused with the address even after given a copy of the address written in Vietnamese (also supplied by Guest Relations). We have a friend there and his wife who is Vietnamese also couldn't work it out. We had a metered taxi and he radioed the base and it seemed they had no clues either but when I showed him the map, he immediately understood where it was.

The taxi drivers at the Port gates will suggest an inflated price so bargain and US$ is the order of the day. In town you can pick up a metered cab and they are very good and cheaper - they charge in Dong). The best ones are green and white (so our friend informed us).

Does anyone know the distance from the port/pier where the Azamara Quest will dock to the center of Saigon? Can you walk or take a cab?

The ship's excursion descriptions do not make a reference to taking a motor coach into the city.

If you can get to the city on your own then the price of the ship's excursion "Saigon by Rickshaw" of $49 pp is outrageous.

One excursion ends with the following:"Return to the ship at the end of the tour or remain in town for further exploration." To me this implies that you can get back to the ship quite easily.

Thanks.

Was in Saigon a couple of weeks ago, like others I'm guessing you'll be at Ben Nha Rong, a very convenient location. Dial it into Google Earth, you'll see a cruise ship berthed there. But the wikipedia-type location tags are totally wrong, ignore them.

Its particularly convenient compared to large ships such as Princess, which berth at Vung Tau, at the mouth of the Saigon River. Don't stay in bed for the 3 to 4 hour sail up the river.

From the port should be a simple 10 to 15 min walk into the centre.

BUT there's development work, including re-vamping a bridge (not "the new bridge"), just outside the port gate, which means walking in the heavy constant motorcycle & truck traffic along the road & over the bridge (no sidewalk). We did it - its ridiculously dangerous, Heath & Safety would have a fit !!!!

Therefore you really need transport. You can wait by the port gate & hope to hail a metered cab for less than 2 dollars, or take a cab from inside the port - the drivers will want to negotiate a fee, $5 wouldn't be too much in the circumstances.

You can easily do the main sights (Ho Chi Mihn museum, Reunification Hall, War Remnants museum, Notre Dame & Post Office) all on foot or by pedicab. And try to get in a performance of the Water Puppets, about a mile from the centre, with live band, brilliant.

Make sure you have a map to show taxi drivers, few speak english. They're very cheap, the flag drops at about 50cts & metering is solely by distance, not time. Make sure the meter is operating from the start!!

I'd be inclined to do your own thing, cheaper & more fun. If you do book ahead independently, do not part with any money or card details, Vietnam is full of fly-by-nights.

We had a great day going to the Cu Chi tunnels by hiring a speedboat. Compared to the drive by taxi at about $40 for the car, it cost us about $60 each but was great great fun & included a couple of stops. Fuller details is you wish.

Mention has been made of a new bridge over the Saigon River. Our ship (Discovery, 650 pax, 21,000 tons) just squeezed under. This will be an obstacle for many many cruise ships.

Crime - our ship also had a couple of bag-snatching casualties.

John Bull

We are on Seabourn Pride and just left HCMC today. We booked a 2 day private tour for 2 with Smile Tours and had a wonderful time. Yesterday, we went on a Mekong Delta trip and it was very nice. We had a very comfortable ride in an SUV type vehicle. Others on the ship sponsored excursion were in minibuses which were quite uncomfortable . Today we had a city tour. We also had tours in Hanoi and Hoi ann with Smile tours- and I have to agree with all the other positive comments about them on these boards. Now - off to Bangkok.

Kathy

We are on Seabourn Pride and just left HCMC today. We booked a 2 day private tour for 2 with Smile Tours and had a wonderful time. Yesterday, we went on a Mekong Delta trip and it was very nice. We had a very comfortable ride in an SUV type vehicle. Others on the ship sponsored excursion were in minibuses which were quite uncomfortable . Today we had a city tour. We also had tours in Hanoi and Hoi ann with Smile tours- and I have to agree with all the other positive comments about them on these boards. Now - off to Bangkok.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

To repeat a leaflet I saw in a Bangkok hotel, "Bangkok, you're welcome to it" :D

Would be useful to folk on this thread if you could confirm your HCMC location. Was it Ben Nha Rong ? (on the left, some way past the new Saigon River bridge? roadworks right outside the port? lots of dead bodies where pedestrians had to walk amongst the motorcycles & trucks to access the city centre? :eek::)

John Bull

Hola keltic, te conozco

un beso

mallorca:D

Just back from the Quest.

It was great. The port is about 10min. from the center of Saigon.

We had a guide for one day, but realy its not necesary, you can do everything in Saigon on your own.

Watch when you want to cross a road :eek:

It is not danger there. I would wish we had another day to spent there.

A very good trip on our 2º day, the delta mekong river tour. Greattttttttttttttttt it was one of the best day.

Any questions?

Hey there,

I recently returned from a multiple month trip overseas with 5 back to back cruises that were all over Asia (starting in Japan). I remember how hard it was to find out information about ports, transportation and cities. I was on the Volendam, which is a bigger HAL ship and we docked at "Phu My", but I think the smaller ships dock close to Saigon. I have posted a lot about Vietnam with photos on my blog if you want to see more. I didn't love Vietnam and was in multiple areas. However, some people do love it. If you want to read about some of these places, then you can go to http://www.LutherBailey.blogspot.com There are lots of of other countries on there and I am constantly updating. I love to travel. Anyway, I hope this helps. There is a drop-down menu on the sidebar of the blog where you can select whatever country you want to read about.

Luther

Just back from the Quest.

It was great. The port is about 10min. from the center of Saigon.

We had a guide for one day, but realy its not necesary, you can do everything in Saigon on your own.

Watch when you want to cross a road :eek:

It is not danger there. I would wish we had another day to spent there.

A very good trip on our 2º day, the delta mekong river tour. Greattttttttttttttttt it was one of the best day.

Any questions?

What town did you go to on the Mekong Delta. We are leaving today for our Quest cruise. We will be going to My Tho.

Archived