Haines Landing - Travel to Skagway?

brattitoo

Traveling in July on Westerdam, landing in Haines. We understand that Skagway is only a 45 minute ferry ride. Anybody have an problems with traveling by ferry from Haines to Skagway? We think we want to do it, but just want to see if others have done that and are there any issues we need to know about. The ferry schedule seems pretty regular. Also, if anyone has perspective on Skagway or Haines excursions?

I’ve done the ferry several times and I am booked for it in 3 weeks from the Noordam.

I suggest you look at their website and reserve now if interested.

They do sell out ,especially the last departure back to Haines.

They do have a train package which is much cheaper than the ship excursion.

There are many other excursions in Skagway .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for quick reply. What excursion did you do? We couldn't really find any that includes both Haines and Skagway except the train ride.

I docked in Skagway and wanted to go to Haines. We booked the 4x4 Takshanuk Trail in Haines. It included the ferry ride and a very good meal of fresh halibut and chicken. The scenery in Haines was amazing.

IMG_0271.JPG.f937bf57d42fa4d8faad5984f92b78a5.JPG

Traveling in July on Westerdam, landing in Haines. We understand that Skagway is only a 45 minute ferry ride. Anybody have an problems with traveling by ferry from Haines to Skagway? We think we want to do it, but just want to see if others have done that and are there any issues we need to know about. The ferry schedule seems pretty regular. Also, if anyone has perspective on Skagway or Haines excursions?

Yes, it's easy but check what ships are in Skagway that day, if there are none, you have a ball, if there 2 biggies, it's a zoo.

Why in the world would you want to spend the day in Skagway when you can spend it in Haines? We have completed 14 cruises of Alaska and this is our favorite port.

We have completed 42 cruises overall and Haines has the best shore excursion that we have ever experienced:

Kroschel Films Wildlife Center

Look at the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Haines only allows one (small) ship at a time. It is a beautiful place to explore. Don't miss it!

Why in the world would you want to spend the day in Skagway when you can spend it in Haines? We have completed 14 cruises of Alaska and this is our favorite port.

We have completed 42 cruises overall and Haines has the best shore excursion that we have ever experienced:

Kroschel Films Wildlife Center

Look at the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Haines only allows one (small) ship at a time. It is a beautiful place to explore. Don't miss it!

I agree that Haines is a great port and should be taken advantage of if your ship stops there, since most don’t. We rented a car and drove to Chilkoot Lake, Chilkat State Park and Kroschel Wildlife Center. Beautiful scenery, easy drive and more traditional Alaska - no Diamonds International, T-shirt shops, etc. Very different, and refreshing, from the more commercialized ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love reading all the positive remarks about Haines! We are on noordam in 5 weeks, and I was a little disappointed that we were stopping in Haines not Skagway. Only because I’d never heard of Haines before. We are in port from 6:30am to 9pm. We have the glacier point wilderness safari booked. We will have the several hours in the later afternoon and evening to explore. Any other suggestions? Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums