Looking for Asia suggestions

Poconolady

Looking for suggestions on cruise itineraries that would visit locations where there is little air pollution. I know that no one can predict nature, etc, but looking for helpful suggestions. DH has asthma and will refuse to wear a mask, so I dont want to leave him in the cabin all off the time. I‘ve searched the air pollution websites and China is definitely out, probably Japan and Hong Kong also. What about Vietnam and Cambodia river cruises? Any experiences? Tia for your helpful suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We spent a month touring Vietnam. When we came back DW went to her hairdresser. The hairdresser asked if DW had taken up smoking.

Lots of air pollution in Vietnam. Not so much in the hills toward DaLat but if you are cruising it will not matter. Definately lots of pollution in the south. Halong Bay was a mess with floating garbage. We though Phi Phi in Thailand was bad until we went to Halong. Vietnam's economy is growing hence the pollution. We did not notice the pollution as much in Hoi An, Hue, Da Nang, etc but they are close to the sea and have less industry and a higher percentage of trees and folliage. Cannot recall how it was in the Mekong Delta.

We were only in Cambodia for 10 days. Air was fine in Anghor and south towards Kampot and the Viet border. Cannot recall any pollution issues in Phnom Penh.

Having said that, we really enjoyed our time in Vietnam and we plan to return.

Edited by iancal

Looking for suggestions on cruise itineraries that would visit locations where there is little air pollution. I know that no one can predict nature, etc, but looking for helpful suggestions. DH has asthma and will refuse to wear a mask, so I dont want to leave him in the cabin all off the time. I‘ve searched the air pollution websites and China is definitely out, probably Japan and Hong Kong also. What about Vietnam and Cambodia river cruises? Any experiences? Tia for your helpful suggestions.

You are correct. China and Hong Kong are definitely not for you.

Most of south Asia is also a no-go for your husband.

But Japan???

Your post says you are in St. Louis.

I just checked a global real time air index website.

Metro Tokyo (with 42 million people) has some of the worst air in Japan.

Today it is showing cleaner than St. Louis.

Most of Japan is far cleaner than most US cities.

You should also be aware that cruise ship ventilation systems typically mix 30 to 50% outside air into their systems, 24/7.

The ventilation to your cabin cannot be turned down or turned off.

The air filters in the system are very ineffective.

Leaving your husband in the cabin will not protect him from outside air pollution.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have decided to go for a cruise around Japan, bring the masks just in case, and have a great time! This isn’t exactly what we set out to do, but hopefully it will be okay, at least we get to see some of Asia. Thanks for the help!

I‘ve searched the air pollution websites and China is definitely out, probably Japan and Hong Kong also.

I have allergies and asthma and spend half my time in Los Angeles and half my time in Japan. Japan's air quality is MUCH better than that of China's. I don't have any issues there.