A cruise for Titanic fans!

Not for me I think the overwhelming sadness remembering those tragedy that was the Titanics passengers and crews fate would spoil any enjoyment of the cruise.

I felt the same in Saipan last year...I cant comprehend making a tourist attraction of a site where hundreds of women and children jumped to their deaths.

For the record I am a softie, any trip to the War Memorial here in Canberra reduces me to tears as well!

Not for me I think the overwhelming sadness remembering those tragedy that was the Titanics passengers and crews fate would spoil any enjoyment of the cruise.

I felt the same in Saipan last year...I cant comprehend making a tourist attraction of a site where hundreds of women and children jumped to their deaths.

For the record I am a softie, any trip to the War Memorial here in Canberra reduces me to tears as well!

Me too, Rugby - it's bad enough when they play the Last Post at the RSL!

But sometimes I think it brings things into perspective and makes us realise how lucky we are.

I too would find these tours very sad.My daughter was the Captains Valet for the HMAS Sydney Memorial so was helping with the families of the lost sailors.She said the Memorial was very moving.

I am glad I am not the only blubbering mess out there..last post gets me too..four generations in the armed forces must be in the blood.

I always feel sad and have respect when I hear it, but the one that got to me was the visit to the Commonwealth Cemetry at The Bridge on The River Kwai.

It was so moving and emotional I found myself crying.

It did not help that just before ,we had stood on the Bridge and a party of Japanese tourists sailed under, on a party boat.:mad:

A cruise for Titanic fans!Sunday Mail this morning:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/t...-1225869586531

Thanks for pointing that one out Sandi.

Fred Olsen put on some wonderful cruise itineraries. If anyone is thinking of a cruise up that way, they are a good line to keep an eye on. The ships are not new, but I have read some excellent reports about them.

A few years ago I visited the El Alamein War Cemetery in Egypt.In the Australian section there were headstones for boys aged 15 and 16 years of age .The boys had given false names so that they could enlist.Quite a few of us had tears in our eyes.

The Egyptians keep this cemetery beautifully and it is well a visit if you are ever in that part of the world as the Museum is very interesting.

Elaine.

A few years ago I visited the El Alamein War Cemetery in Egypt.In the Australian section there were headstones for boys aged 15 and 16 years of age .The boys had given false names so that they could enlist.Quite a few of us had tears in our eyes.

The Egyptians keep this cemetery beautifully and it is well a visit if you are ever in that part of the world as the Museum is very interesting.

Elaine.

Apparently one of my great-uncles put his age up to get into the army. They found out when he was in Egypt and contacted his mother. She just told them that as he was over there he might as well stay there!!!

How cool was she (and I don't mean the modern meaning of 'cool'). Whewww!

Kiwi I cried through that cemetary too....this is reading like places we have bawled our eyes out! On the same trip our next stop was "Hellfire Pass", the ignorance and rudeness of the Japanese school children in the museum made me run for the bus before I set a very bad example of intolerence...I am sure they did not realise the significance of the place they were visiting but the laughing and the posing was just too much for me. I was hoping some of the tigers at the temple might give them a bit of a nip!

I howled through the Atomic bomb museum in Nagasaki as well, as someone said I suppose our remembering and sadness about these tragedies while we visit is respect for those who have suffered.

I does pay to understand the places you are visiting so as not to behave in a way that causes offense.

I always feel sad and have respect when I hear it, but the one that got to me was the visit to the Commonwealth Cemetry at The Bridge on The River Kwai.

It was so moving and emotional I found myself crying.

It did not help that just before ,we had stood on the Bridge and a party of Japanese tourists sailed under, on a party boat.:mad:

Thanks for pointing that one out Sandi.

Fred Olsen put on some wonderful cruise itineraries. If anyone is thinking of a cruise up that way, they are a good line to keep an eye on. The ships are not new, but I have read some excellent reports about them.

We had an overnight stay up the river kwai, and went on a train over the river, which was very emotional, even though that bridge has gone, but to travel on that train track was something. We also had the privilige of going to Hell Fire Pass where Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop's ashes are scattered.

The next day when we returned we visited the war cemetry. What upset me most was that their was a large group of passengers who didn't even bother to get off and pay their respects.

Capitalising from a catastrophe is tacky to say the least. It's almost 100 years since the event , so we may see more focus on this.

I believe there's a Titanic relics exhibition in Melbourne now or soon. That would bring tears to my eyes.

Cheers,

Anna

Archived