Is it crazy to consider this?

Would I be crazy to consider a quick 3-4 day Bahamas cruise in September? I am worried about the weather/hurricane season. Has anyone ever traveled down there during hurrican season? I am looking for cheap cruises!

Opinions, advice?

Thank you!

I've sailed in September before (and October, February, and June). Is it a risk? Sure. But, the good news is that rarely is a cruise canceled all together. The itinerary may change or be delayed, but you'll likely still cruise. Go for it! And, definitely get insurance.

For me and my family - it's not worth all it takes to travel for only a 3-4 nighter. But for people who travel sans kids or travel a lot in their job, they may have it down to a science. And by day 3 or 4, I've just figured out where everything is on the ship, and then they'd make me get off? Nah, we like longer cruises (7+ days).

We love sailing the Caribbean during the fall months. Much better prices and have been fortunate never to experience an itinerary change due to the weather. Even if they would switch the destinations on us, we are of the mind that the ship is the actual destination for us:)

I have been "chased around" by hurricanes on cruises and on land and can tell you that you can be very close to a hurricane and have great weather but also feel the effects hundreds of miles away. Living in the southeast you get used to them and if you have a trip to the coast planned you can go north or south and get away from them. Usually the weather is beautiful right after one passes.

So, it is a risk but chances are you will have a least some good weather for your trip. As has been pointed out, the cruise is not cancelled or postponed and the ship will head away from the path of the 'cane.

The fall is a great time to cruise, Kids and spring breakers are back in school and prices are great!

I have been "chased around" by hurricanes on cruises and on land and can tell you that you can be very close to a hurricane and have great weather but also feel the effects hundreds of miles away. Living in the southeast you get used to them and if you have a trip to the coast planned you can go north or south and get away from them. Usually the weather is beautiful right after one passes.

So, it is a risk but chances are you will have a least some good weather for your trip. As has been pointed out, the cruise is not cancelled or postponed and the ship will head away from the path of the 'cane.

The fall is a great time to cruise, Kids and spring breakers are back in school and prices are great!

I agree, we were badly damaged by a hurricane last year, but that is the 1st in many years.

BUT, 3-4 days is too short a time to learn the ship and become relaxed.:eek: A week or two is much better! :)

I must be crazy because I booked a 4 day cruise 9-14-09 with my girlfriend. She can't always get away for longer cruises so the short ones come in handy. I have been in some really bad storms when I was in the Navy, I don't worry about them. Go for it.

I would book it also.

Was it in New Orleans last year that a hurricane came past the port and the salt water shorted out all the cars parked at the pier causing their windows to roll down? Everyones car was ruined, they came back to a big mess!

That would worry me more than anything if I drove...

Would I be crazy to consider a quick 3-4 day Bahamas cruise in September? I am worried about the weather/hurricane season. Has anyone ever traveled down there during hurrican season? I am looking for cheap cruises!

Opinions, advice?

Thank you!

Yes we have traveled if the ship gets into a storm the ride will be very bumpy and I have traveled when there was hurricane charlie in the south caribbean it was no joke, the ship anchored off the coast of Venezeula and rode it out. till it was calmer seas... IF there is a big storm pending, then they will re route you.

They will not put us in harms way ever. so enjoy yourself...

How was the Freedom we leave in 15 more days

Red:D

I would book it also.

Was it in New Orleans last year that a hurricane came past the port and the salt water shorted out all the cars parked at the pier causing their windows to roll down? Everyones car was ruined, they came back to a big mess!

That would worry me more than anything if I drove...

It was Galveston.

With New Orleans it was hurricane Katrina that got cruisers cars - not by flooding, but by looting.

One of these was our 1st cruise. We weren't sure we'd like crusing & I was worried about feeling "trapped" on the ship. There was a hurricane coming up the east coast while we sailed. the storm went one way; we went the other way. The waves were rough at the private island but not rough enough to prevent us from going. We didn't get to see a friend in Key West b/c he was a navy air traffic controller & he was a bit busy. We also got stuck at the Miami AP going home b/c of the weather but if you are flexible it's a nice "taste" of a cruise.

Opinions, advice?

Thank you!

I think your flight would cost you more than the cruise...and I'd worry about that more than the hurricane upsetting your cruise!

Just ensure your insurance is exactly what you need for such a trip.

Living in Florida, I cruise annually in Sept - great prices!

Opinions, advice?

Thank you!

A quick 3-4 Bahamas cruise in September would be fine. A slow 3 - 4 day Bahamas cruise in September would be crazy. :)

Even if there is no hurricane remember Aug-Sept are some of the most peak times for tropical rainstorms and it wouldn't be unusual to have a down pour late in the afternoon or at some other part of the day. Just typical weather. Some days you'll be lucky, some not. It's a crapshoot the way it is in Florida.

Opinions, advice?

Thank you!

I went down there about 8 years ago on a cheapy Bahamas cruise, it was over September 11 (9/11/01.) I believe that was the only cruise I have never gotten sea sick on. It's a great time to travel! A lot of kiddos back in school, a lot of people just wanting to enjoy the final days of Summer. I highly recommend!

Archived