Choice AIr- How are the Fares Calculated?

johhnnyt

I know there are some wise people on here, and was hoping the collective intelligence might help

About a year or so ago someone explained the mechanics of how choice air works. How it's NOT simply charter fares, but instead how the algorithms it uses work (the calculations it uses compared to normal fares you might find elsewhere). I tried searching through a dozen threads but couldn't find it.

I know how to book it, use it, and the pluses and minuses

Any info from one of you who really understand the mechanics of airfare would be greatly appreciated

Hi JohnnyNT

Not sure of the algorithms that are used by ChoiceAir or whether there are any. I can tell you from personal experience that they are not fixed and vary from week to week and from Air Line to Air Line.

As an example I purchase Business Class Flights from Venice to San Jose, CA in October for $1,072 pp on Delta. At the time they had fares listed by different airlines between $1,072 (1 Stop) to over 5,000 (United). I just checked and the lowest fare for the same date $1,399 (2 Stops) and the same flight I booked on Delta is now $2,511 (1 Stop).

The fares are generally limited to a certain number of seats and the prices raise as the capacity is filled. I usually try to book right after the flights become bookable (11 months in advance).

I would recommend that you also check air fares on other sources first. Once good source is Google Flights where you can set up a alert to monitor the air fares daily.

Last week I was booking a flight from San Francisco to Anchorage and found that the rates were substantially cheaper booking directly with Delta than through Choice Air.

I'd be interested to know this info as well, being somewhat of a fare geek!

Last year I purchased Premium Economy on BA from AMS-SFO (via LHR) for $600 through Choice Air. At that time there were no reasonable Business Class fares available. A few weeks later, Business Class for $850 popped up AMS-SFO nonstop via KLM and we switched to that. So I'm curious how it all happens.

Johnny, it may also benefit to post this on the Cruise Air forum as there a number of educated air fare geeks that hang out over there!

Hi JohnnyNT

Not sure of the algorithms that are used by ChoiceAir or whether there are any. I can tell you from personal experience that they are not fixed and vary from week to week and from Air Line to Air Line.

As an example I purchase Business Class Flights from Venice to San Jose, CA in October for $1,072 pp on Delta. At the time they had fares listed by different airlines between $1,072 (1 Stop) to over 5,000 (United). I just checked and the lowest fare for the same date $1,399 (2 Stops) and the same flight I booked on Delta is now $2,511 (1 Stop).

The fares are generally limited to a certain number of seats and the prices raise as the capacity is filled. I usually try to book right after the flights become bookable (11 months in advance).

I would recommend that you also check air fares on other sources first. Once good source is Google Flights where you can set up a alert to monitor the air fares daily.

Last week I was booking a flight from San Francisco to Anchorage and found that the rates were substantially cheaper booking directly with Delta than through Choice Air.

Thanks Jim, I know that's a big part of it "fares are generally limited to a certain number of seats and the prices raise as the capacity is filled", but I remember somone went into more details on it (which in hindsight, I should of saved) that gavefurther details on how to take advantage of the Choice Air setup

Last year I purchased Premium Economy on BA from AMS-SFO (via LHR) for $600 through Choice Air. At that time there were no reasonable Business Class fares available. A few weeks later, Business Class for $850 popped up AMS-SFO nonstop via KLM and we switched to that. So I'm curious how it all happens.

Johnny, it may also benefit to post this on the Cruise Air forum as there a number of educated air fare geeks that hang out over there!

That's a good idea to post over on Cruise Air forum, I'll do that. I'd like to understand it better as well. I know I watched for a good fare on a one way Rome---->New York for a TA , and played around with the major airports in the NYC area and dates, found average price of about $2000 in biz class, then one day it popped up $1100 so I grabbed it

This is a 10 year old thread but actually explains it really well

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322