"Don't Try The Ice Cream...Awful"

garykool81

I happened to stumble upon the review of Oceania's Regatta on CruiseCritic, and noticed that whoever reviewed the ship made a point of telling readers not to try the ice cream because it was "awful."

What in the world ship were they on?!

I'm pretty picky about my ice cream, and I would say that Oceania hands down had the BEST ice cream of any cruise I've been on. My partner agreed. We loved getting sundaes, etc., daily.

Was the review done years ago, perhaps before a switch to the "homemade" ice cream that they serve now?

Confused...

Just try the ZERO ZERO Ice Cream which is available in a few flavours. No fats and no sugars.........Still better than nothing for us diabetics.

BUT BEWARE...............dont do as I did....eat them after lunch and dinner in place of desserts.......after 2 days they can have a very powerful after effect !!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

I can still taste the Black Raspberry Sorbet on Regatta; the best I have ever tasted -- the flavor was really intense. On the other hand, I had a hilarious experience one evening with sorbet. I asked the waiter in the Polo Grill what flavor of Sorbet he had available, and he replied, "Lemon." Since lemon is one of my favorites, I ordered a double portion. When it came, it was very brown! I took a bite, and discovered that it was really Lemon Tea flavor. I'm not a tea fan, so it was quite a shock! But, that shows the imagination that goes into their home-made, and excellent, flavors.

Glad to see that everyone is on the same page. Who in the world wrote that review?!

I have definitely had bad ice cream on MANY cruise ships (half melted, bad texture, poor artificial flavors, etc.), but Oceania easily was the best we've tasted.

They should delete that sentence from the review :-) I know cuisine tends to be rather subjective, but I think I am safe saying that it is a fact that the ice cream is NOT "awful."

As my travelling partners know, I travel with a Vanilla Ice Cream fanatic. "What would you like for dessert sir? . . .A scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. . . Is that all Sir; yes. . . would you like chocolate sauce, no just plain vanilla, thank you." A discourse at each and every meal and lunch.

If the vanilla is wonderful, then certainly all of the other flavors must be good as well (at least I thought they were). Once we discovered the Ice Cream Cart at Waves Grill - we were in 37 Flavor heaven.

Enjoy the ice cream . . . it is the best. I think the OP got their cruises confused.

Happy Presidents Day:D

I happened to stumble upon the review of Oceania's Regatta on CruiseCritic, and noticed that whoever reviewed the ship made a point of telling readers not to try the ice cream because it was "awful."

Gary -

My apology for inferring that "OP" (in this case you) was the person critical of the ice cream. . . and I accept your apology for inferring that I didn't read the entire first post.

Now, off to the freezer . . .:p

Rich (SFBear)

Gary -

My apology for inferring that "OP" (in this case you) was the person critical of the ice cream. . . and I accept your apology for inferring that I didn't read the entire first post.

Now, off to the freezer . . .:p

Rich (SFBear)

haha no worries...sounds good to me :-)

I've hesitated to write this...I fear this story will be pooh-ed!

Husband and I sitting out on the deck by the pool on Regatta and chatting with a small group of people. Most of us were enjoying a dish of the afternoon ice cream. When I asked the server what it was he had told me it was vanilla fudge. The ice cream was delicious as usual, but but the "fudge" tasted a little strange- I was pretty sure it was not fudge. There was yummy smooth vanilla, but those "swirls"...what the heck were they?

Someone else in the group was questioning what the strange taste of the ice cream was too- she was told it was "chocolate ripple." Her husband sampled some and swore the brown swirls were PRUNES. He went back to the server and questioned him- and yes indeedy, it was prune ice cream. Very different, very delicious, very efficacious. :)

I've hesitated to write this...I fear this story will be pooh-ed!

He went back to the server and questioned him- and yes indeedy, it was prune ice cream. Very different, very delicious, very efficacious. :)

Yes they had "prune Ice cream" on our last cruise!

They also had Cinnamon which was quite tasty

We had a problem with the renowned Zero-Zero ice cream on the Nautica this summer. The texture was lumpy and granular, as if there wasn't sufficient emulsifiers in the mix or the batter was frozen too quickly before it had properly blended. I was served from the same batch in the GDR for a couple of days (returning the ice cream each time) before they finally mixed a new batch that didn't have the lumps. Perhaps the reviewer experienced a similar problem.

Archived