Southampton hotels

Liz

I'm planning to spend one night in Southampton pre-cruise and have narrowed down my hotel choices - but am hoping some fellow CCer's can help with some recommendations. I've looked on TripAdvisor and several other sites and reviews are varied (as usual!).

I'm travelling solo so I feel more comfortable with a "traditional" hotel vs. a B&B - an elevator/lift (rather than schlepping luggage up and down stairs) and the convenience of a restaurant (if I'm too tired to venture out for dinner) are factoring in my choices. Can anyone provide pros and/or cons on the following: Holiday Inn (the one close to the cruise ship terminal); Novotel; Ibis; Jury's Inn; Southampton Park. My hope is to arrive in Southampton by 12noon, explore the area for the rest of that day as well as the morning we sail. I will not have a rental car so I would like to be central to the city centre.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Liz

Can anyone provide pros and/or cons on the following: Holiday Inn (the one close to the cruise ship terminal); Novotel; Ibis; Jury's Inn; Southampton Park.

THE cruise ship terminal = 3 terminals.

City Center Terminal for RCCL and NCL

ibis and Novotel are best location

Subject you have light baggage: it's walking distance from train station (service to Southampton and Gatwick airport), coach station (service to Heathrow airport) - each 8 minutes station - hotel and hotel - cruise terminal

close to shopping mall with food and shopping

Holiday Inn looks close but direct gate is closed so you must go once around to Gate 10.

Mayflower Terminal for Princess / P&O and QEII for Cunard

too long to walk so no matter which hotel you choose

Regards,

HeinBloed

I'm planning to spend one night in Southampton pre-cruise and have narrowed down my hotel choices - but am hoping some fellow CCer's can help with some recommendations. I've looked on TripAdvisor and several other sites and reviews are varied (as usual!).

I'm travelling solo so I feel more comfortable with a "traditional" hotel vs. a B&B - an elevator/lift (rather than schlepping luggage up and down stairs) and the convenience of a restaurant (if I'm too tired to venture out for dinner) are factoring in my choices. Can anyone provide pros and/or cons on the following: Holiday Inn (the one close to the cruise ship terminal); Novotel; Ibis; Jury's Inn; Southampton Park. My hope is to arrive in Southampton by 12noon, explore the area for the rest of that day as well as the morning we sail. I will not have a rental car so I would like to be central to the city centre.

Liz

Holiday Inn - adequate but dated. Very good location but can be very overpriced depending on the date. Easy walk to shopping and restaurants.

Jurys- In the middle of a roundabout, have read some very bad reviews on this one.

Have you looked at the DeVere? Depending on your dates it may actually be cheaper than the Holiday Inn.

There is a map showing the relative position of the hotels here:

Map of Southampton Hotels & Cruise Terminals

Most of the ones mentioned are chain hotels and rates can be volatile depending on your date. The De Vere arguably the grandest hotel of the lot often has very competitive rates at the weekend, sometimes less than the Holiday Inn opposite.

The modern Novotel, Ibis and ETAP hotels are all on the same plot and owned by the French Accor chain. If you are using the Mayflower or City Cruise Terminals these probably have the best location, walkable to terminals, bus/train stations and shopping centre.

There is a map showing the relative position of the hotels here:

Map of Southampton Hotels & Cruise Terminals

Most of the ones mentioned are chain hotels and rates can be volatile depending on your date. The De Vere arguably the grandest hotel of the lot often has very competitive rates at the weekend, sometimes less than the Holiday Inn opposite.

The modern Novotel, Ibis and ETAP hotels are all on the same plot and owned by the French Accor chain. If you are using the Mayflower or City Cruise Terminals these probably have the best location, walkable to terminals, bus/train stations and shopping centre.

You sound very knowledgeable! We are looking at a cruise that leaves from Harwich. I am thinking this is different than Southhampton, correct?

What would be a good way to get from London to Harwich cruise terminal? Thanks for any help offered

Yes, Harwich isn't Southampton (it's about 100 miles away on the east coast, not the south) and I haven't travelled there by train but it looks as though the train service runs from Liverpool Street Station (London) to Harwich International and takes about an hour and a half.

The train station at Harwich is very convenient though - it's adjacent to the docks so really couldn't be any closer to the arrivals hall for passengers departing on cruise ships. (Not even a road to cross!)

This is a link to see the schedules - but it only holds info up to 12 weeks ahead so you'd have to check times closer to departure but it will give you an idea - currently it looks like there is an hourly service during the day. (Pre-booking usually gets you cheaper fares.)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

I can't pick up a National Express coach service from London to Harwich - I think you'd have to travel to Colchester and then pick up a local bus service or train to Harwich. London/Colchester takes 2 hrs 10 on the coach - then you've still got to get to Harwich. Doesn't sound much like a plan! Unless other posters have other suggestions, I think the train sounds like your best bet.

You sound very knowledgeable! We are looking at a cruise that leaves from Harwich. I am thinking this is different than Southhampton, correct?

What would be a good way to get from London to Harwich cruise terminal? Thanks for any help offered

Of all the cruise terminals that service London, Harwich is the most awkward to get to from Heathrow being on the other side of London from Heathrow.

Unless you want to invest in a taxi, (about $250-$300) the only practical option are the trains from Liverpool Street Station in Central London.

Broadly they run hourly and as said above the railway platform at Harwich is adjacent to the cruise terminal. On some cruises a special Cruise Train is laid on. You'll find details at the url below but at the moment its just showing 2008 schedules

Harwich Cruise Train

There is no direct public transport between Heathrow & Liverpool Street either. It would be ideal if you overnighted in Central London the night before your cruise. Otherwise there are a myriad of ways of getting from Heathrow to Liverpool Street, basically the more you pay the quicker and more comfort you have.

If you can, flying into London Stansted is much more convenient - its about half way between Heathrow & Harwich and you don't have to touch London. Unfortunately, the North American scheduled flights into Stansted seem to have all been cancelled last year leaving mainly just European low cost budget airlines.

I've stayed at the Ibis a couple of times pre cruise and while pretty basic it's fine for a night or two. It's a 5 minute walk from either the National Bus terminal or the train station, not much farther is a large shopping mall and supermarket to stock up on stuff.

Althought not very adventurous there is a TGIF and a McDonalds right next door for food.

Cruise terminal is a short taxi ride away.

Harwich Cruise Train

There is no direct public transport between Heathrow & Liverpool Street either. It would be ideal if you overnighted in Central London the night before your cruise. Otherwise there are a myriad of ways of getting from Heathrow to Liverpool Street, basically the more you pay the quicker and more comfort you have.

If you can, flying into London Stansted is much more convenient - its about half way between Heathrow & Harwich and you don't have to touch London. Unfortunately, the North American scheduled flights into Stansted seem to have all been cancelled last year leaving mainly just European low cost budget airlines.

Thanks, for the replys. I do plan on an overnight in London precruise. Do you have a recommended way to handle the trip to Harwich with that being the case.

Thanks, for the replys. I do plan on an overnight in London precruise. Do you have a recommended way to handle the trip to Harwich with that being the case.

If you want to make the travelling as easy as possible, then stay either at the Hilton Paddington or at the Andaz Liverpool Street (formerly the Great Eastern Hotel).

If at the former, take the Heathrow Express to Paddington - the hotel is part of the station. The next day, just take a taxi to Liverpool Street for the train to Harwich.

If at the latter, take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a taxi to the hotel, which is right next door to the station. The next day, you can just walk into the station and get the train.

However, these suggestions maximise your travelling ease with no consideration being given to what you want to do in London during your 24 or so hours here, or to cost. If you want to do something else, you will have to work out for yourself whether the compromises as worthwhile.

I appreciate the help. It's gets a bit confusing since reviews seem to be all over the place - I think some people blame the hotels for things that are not within their control, then write a bad review.

I like the idea of being close to some shops, since I'll probably purchase toiletries when I arrive - they take up too much space (and weight!) in the suitcase and I enjoy doing that as one of my ways to explore a new city.

I'm sailing on Voyager of the Seas on Wednesday May 13, but I don't think they have assigned a dock yet - I do not see anything on my reservation or the RCCL site. She will be fresh from drydock when we board, so they may not know yet.

Thanks again!

Liz

To give you an idea of the various options open to you from Heathrow to Central London there is a useful reference table at the url below:

Heathrow - Central London Transport Options

Many of the public transport fares depicted go up slightly for their annual rise on January 2nd but it'll give you an idea.

As Globaliser says I think you need to do a little research on what is attractive to you in London and your budget so you can select appropiate accommodation making the usual cost v quality/comfort compromise.

I like the idea of being close to some shops, since I'll probably purchase toiletries when I arrive - they take up too much space (and weight!) in the suitcase and I enjoy doing that as one of my ways to explore a new city.

Liz

The West Quay shopping center is close to most of the hotels you're looking at. Boots the Chemist is a good option for your toiletries shopping. There's also an Asda grocery store in the neighborhood.

Julia

We stayed at the Novotel in July of 2008. Very good full-service hotel with a restaurant in the hotel in case you don't want to get out. There is also a McDonald's and TGIF within about a 3 US city block walk. As previously stated, there is a Boots which is like our Wallgreens or Eckerd's about 5 or 6 US city blocks away. You'll probably need to take a taxi to the port, but the front desk at the Novotel will take care of this for you.

I was overall very impressed with this hotel and would feel comfortable staying there as a single person. We prepaid our room, so when the pound skyrocketed against the dollar, we did quite well with our rate.

I'm sailing on Voyager of the Seas on Wednesday May 13, but I don't think they have assigned a dock yet - I do not see anything on my reservation or the RCCL site.

Another site to keep an eye on is the Southampton Cruise Ship Schedule on

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

They only go up to April at the moment:(

But it also lists the terminals & the there are links to maps of them.

You will probably go from Mayflower (106) or City (101) which are quite close to each other anyway.

Other sites of interest might be

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/

There used to be maps showing the shopping centres on one of them.

In regards to the train from Liverpool street station to Harwich.

I will be traveling with my DW and two sons ages 12 and 16.

We will be traveling with a large amount of luggage.

Are porters on site to assist with their luggage?

Do you check in your luggage, or do you carry it onboard?

I really don't know the system over there.

There's no system for checking-in luggage. You just get it onto the train and stow it in an appropriate space.

I don't have any recollection of seeing porters at any London mainline station, but then I don't think I've ever looked for any.

There's no system for checking-in luggage. You just get it onto the train and stow it in an appropriate space.

I don't have any recollection of seeing porters at any London mainline station, but then I don't think I've ever looked for any.

I've got serious planning issues.

We are doing a 12 nighter out of Harwich on the Jewel of the Seas.

We have 4 nights befor the Cruise and 5 nights after.

We just completed a 15 nighter on the Briliance of the Seas and we had 15 pieces of luggage. Go figure:confused:

I have got to figure a way to make this work.

We are doing a 12 nighter out of Harwich on the Jewel of the Seas.

We have 4 nights befor the Cruise and 5 nights after.

We just completed a 15 nighter on the Briliance of the Seas and we had 15 pieces of luggage. Go figure:confused:

With 15 pieces of luggage and 4 people you really need a private transfer.

A 'normal' private hire vehicle for 4/5 people won't be able to handle 15 luggage.

FCMBS do small 8 seat buses that can take a minimum 16 large cases. Price is a lot more than the train, but with 4 cases per person, travelling independently by public transport isn't really realitic. You would need at least 3 taxi's to transport your luggage from Southampton cruise terminal to the station with that amount of luggage and also between central London railway stations and your central London hotel.

Southampton to Central London Hotel Private Bus

Central London Hotel to Harwich Private Bus

handfordr is right: If you are travelling with this much luggage, then public transport is not for you.

But if I may say so, what you have is a serious over-packing issue. You do not need anything like this much luggage. You would, frankly, be significantly over-packing if you have more than 6 full-size suitcases between you. In fact, you ought to be able to manage with one suitcase per person. You have to remember that you're travelling, not moving house.

In regards to the train from Liverpool street station to Harwich.

I will be traveling with my DW and two sons ages 12 and 16.

We will be traveling with a large amount of luggage.

Are porters on site to assist with their luggage?

I really don't know the system over there.

I'm haven't checked my math all that recently but I'm pretty sure

"two sons ages 12 and 16" = "2 PORTERS"

You drag your suitcases on the train. At the Harwich end, the cruise terminal and train station are co-located.

• 2 weeks later...

Liz

One or two others have mentioned the De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton - I would definitely recommend it! Close to West Quay Shopping Centre and to the cruise terminals. Enjoy! :)

As a solo traveller, had you thought about maybe staying in London for some fab shopping then just travelling down to Southampton on the day of departure? It's not too far and there's some fast trains from Waterloo Station on the south bank. Failing that, personally would prefer somehere like the DeVere. But it's all a matter of taste.

Archived