1 day in NYC

Renmar

Anybody have any suggestions how to spend 1 day in NYC. We arrive on the Prinsendam in the middle of May during our TA cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

We have never been there and are open to any ideas. We arrive at 7.00am and depart 4.45pm. I know, it's way to short a time to see a lot but any is better than nothing.

Theo

It is best to state your age, general health, number in party, interests. DH and I were in NYC for just a long weekend. We took one of those double decker tours and liked it very much. Also there is a harbor tour that takes you out around the Statue of Liberty and along the cost. That was great too. Also the Brooklyn Bridge has a dedicated passenger, bike second. You could walk it half way and come back. If it is not raining, it is spectacular views of the city from the water. Those city blocks are might big. Just going up and down the stairs to the subway is a challenge, IMO. Empire State Building and Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Plaza) have great city views. :) I'd like to go back someday soon to take in Central Park. We have a son who lives there.

The tour would help you see a lot in a short time. There is somesort of Tourist Information Place we walked into that sold us the tickets for that. Visiting the Statue would take too much time just getting thru security.

Hope this helps.

I just took my cousins in to the city a few weeks ago. I would suggest going to the Empire State Building, a quick cab ride for about 8 or 9 $, definetly go to the top floor but if you pay for the new Flight Simulator you won't have to wait on the long lines, you'll be on a couple but they move really quickly, it was really, really fun, you sit in rows with a bar infront of you and the platform you're on moves, a huge screen in front of you, you'll feel just like you're in a helicopter zooming over the city, only down fall was that it was around $47.00 each, so even if you don't do the rest of my suggestion, if you can afford this one it's a must see. When you're done go out to 5th Avenue and just start walking to the left. You can pick up a map, you'll find that you'll pass Rockefeller Center, Radio City, St Patrick’s Cathedral (visitors are allowed inside) then you’ll start seeing some of the high end stores, Trump Towers, The Plaza Hotel on your left, FAO Schwartz on your right, the Apple Store, and Central Park is right across the street, we did a horse and buggy ride for $50.00 and a $10 tip, or you can just walk thru the park, and make sure you get a dirty water dog while you’re there. Or a gyro from one of the carts, pick one with a long line, that’s how you can tell the food is good. What every you decide to do enjoy.

It's actually call the skyride, and you can do just that for around 25.00 pp, here is the website http://www.skyride.com/buytickets.html you'll have plenty of time to do it all, the skyride opens at 9am and the walk down 5th avenue to Central Park will take a couple of hours we stopped alot, so it depends on how slow and how many times you stop. Have fun!

We did a Canada/New England cruise on the Eurodam last fall which included NYC and this was the only port where we did a HAL excursion. It was an 8hour tour on a bus that included tickets to the 'Top of the Rock' and a stop at the South Sea Port (Great view of the Brooklyn Bridge) for lunch and a stop at the WTC site. We spoke many times with the trip adviser on board and this was the only port he actually recommended to take a HAL tour, I think it was pretty good value and we saw everything you could possibly see in 1 day. I can't wait to go back and explore in more detail!

• 5 months later...

Ok Theo, you started an interesting discussion between DW and I (we both know NYC very well). Assuming the weather is OK and you are capable of walking a few miles (the best thing to do in the city) here is her suggestion. Take a taxi from the port (located on 12th Ave and about 50th St) over to the Empire State Building. Then take the elevator to the top (you can actually go to the 86th and 102nd floor observatories. Now I personally have a problem with the Empire State Building since that elevator costs around $40 per person, but DW thinks a first-time visitor would think its worth it for the views, You can buy tickets on-line and you want to get there early (around 8). Once you are finished you should stroll over to 5th Avenue and head north (higher street numbers) all the way to 57th street. There is much to see along this street including some great stores, churches, Rockefeller Center, etc. When you get to 57th street turn left and walk over to Broadway. Then head south on Broadway until you get down to Times Square. Of course you should be browsing anything that tickles your fancy and of course stop for food. If you are planning to eat lunch off the ship, you probably should experience a great NYC Deli where you can spend about $18 to buy a sandwich that could feed an Army. We would suggest going to the Carnegie Deli (arguably some of the best Pastrami on earth) although the nearby Stage Deli is also fine (these are on 7th Ave near 55th Street). This is a long day on your feet, but its fun. Others might argue that you should do museums but we think just walking around mid-town is the way to sample NYC.

If you prefer museums (a good option if its a rainy day) we can recommend at least 6 or 7 but it can take a year to fully explore all the museums in the city.

Hank

P.S. When I was a kid my Uncle had an office in the Empire State Building and I was in the place every few months. In those days the elevators were free. How times change.

P.S. When I was a kid my Uncle had an office in the Empire State Building and I was in the place every few months. In those days the elevators were free. How times change.

Do people who work in the Empire State Bldg have to pay to take the elevator's to work? Excuse my ignoramous, but I've never been to NYC, and I've never heard of having to pay for an elevator ride!

• 3 months later...

Get a map for sure.......

I use the subway to get around NYC...it is the fastest way to get form one place to another. You can get a free map and follow the line to where you wish to go.

I might suggest going down to Battery Park (south) and taking the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and that same ferry goes to Ellis Island. If you get there when the run the first run (9am) you don't have to fight the crowds. (quick tour-1-2 hours for both)

You can walk through wall street and work up to canal street for some bargin shopping, china town, Little Italy....or

Shoot shoot up on the East Side to the UN Complex...(it takes about 1 hour.)

Then I would move up 34th street (Walk by Macys) and Times Square/Broadway area...zig zag up 5th Avenue to Rockefeller cntr, Trump towers, the plaza-ex & central park. You'll pass Tiffany's, Empire State Building and so many other famous places.

I have taken my visiting relatives on NYC tours so many times and each time we did a little different itinerary depending on what they wanted to see.

Archived