A couple of Boston questions

vavasmom

We will be in Boston on Tuesday August 28th (Enchantment of the Seas). We are due to dock at 8 so I am assuming we can go ashore 8:30 - 8:45.

There are three of us 2 mid-40's adults and my almost 17 yo DD who enjoys history

I am planning on taking a cab from the ship (Black Falcon) to Bunker Hill.

I am trying to get an idea on how much this will cost and the approx time

We want to see the monument and probably the Constitution (first tour at 10 the web site recommends being in line by 9:45).

The plan is to then walk the Freedom trail from there to the Granary Cemetery straying off the trail so DD can see the Holocaust memorial and the "Blackstone" Block. I like historic cemeteries and the 2 adults walked the Coops Hill to Granary last year during the record heat wave. In addition to Bunker Hill/Constitution I hope to tour Paul Revers's house.

My lunch plans are Quincy Market.

Plan on a cab back to the ship (all aboard will be 3:30 so I was planning on heading back at 2:30 to allow for traffic - is that enough time). I know there is also a public transportation route

I have a couple of other questions:

Will it be difficult to find a cab back to the ship?

Would we save time catching the water taxi to Long Wharf and then walking back to the Old North Church (we would miss Copps Hill but I saw that last year)

Thanks in advance

I use this taxi fare finder for Boston. Not sure if it is correct or not.

http://boston.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

I put in Black Falcon for a starting point, and USS Constitution as destination. It came up with a taxi fare of $19 plus tip for a total of roughly 22. I have no idea if that is actually correct. It says 4.7 miles.

Sorry I can't help more. We've only been to Boston for a cruise once. But we're gearing up for a repeat in a few weeks. Have fun!!!

I have been to the Constitution before. After the security line, there were 2 lines. Be sure to get in the line for the free navy tour. Then a navy person conducts the tour. I think the other line they just allow those folks to walk around and see it and leave. Then you can walk across and also see the Cassin Young too.

Have fun on your trip!

I doubt you'll have much trouble finding a cab to the pier if you are along the Freedom Trail. If you figure to walk all the way to Boston Common, you will probably spot a number of cabs near the Common.

If for some reason you are completely stranded with no cab in sight (doubtful), remember you can take the T back to the pier via the S2 Silver Line. I think the cab is the better way to go, but it's good to have a backup plan.

I think your plan sounds pretty good! I think taking a cab to Charlestown to the Constitution is your best bet. The water taxi might be a bit faster (morning traffic in Boston can be "fun") but it's also more expensive. Walking the Freedom Trail from there to Faneuil Hall is a great walk! Definitely worth fighting the crowds at lunch time for some clam chowder in a bread bowl (no matter how hot it is outside!) :) The cemetery is a little further but it's definitely worth walking to to see a bunch of historical headstones. You should have no problem finding a cab in that area to get back to your ship. They're always around the Common and Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. If all else fails, walk into one of the many hotels and ask them to call one for you (I've done that before and I live here ha!)

Yes, sounds like you have a great and full day planned. The Holocaust Memorial was very moving to me. Also, enjoyed the Paul Revere house and walking the Freedom Trail. And, yes, I live here.

One thought re: lunch. The Paul Revere house is in the North End. You might want to try one of the great Italian restaurants in this area which, IMHO, are much better than anything in Quincy Market. ONe exception is the Union Oyster House which is pretty good and pretty cool. It is literally right across the street from the Holocaust Memorial.

One more thing; don't go near Durgin Park, it is horrible.

Almost forgot, cab from Black Falcon to Bunker Hill area would be 30 mins max, almost any time of day.

And, when there, the Charlestown Naval Yard, site of "Old Ironsides", is right around the corner. Good thing to see

I wanted to say thanks to everybody for their inputs. The plan is defiantly what we are going to do. We will play lunch by ear.

We have had such a busy summer that I haven't planned anything for cruise - and we depart in 2 days!

In Boston (8am - 4pm), I am hoping to do the Freedom Trail. Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

How to get to the trail... and which end to start at?

Is a tour with Freedom Trail.org a good idea?

If we want to lunch in the Italian section... where is it? And where is a good spot?

Should we add on another activity? Or will that be a full day, including travel time?

Many thanks, Cruiznuts

Did you try using Google for some quick answers? There is an excellent dedicated Freedom Trail website, http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/. There is also a thread devoted to this topic a few topics under this one. For restaurants in Little Italy, try http://www.northendboston.com/ or just do a search for restaurants in little Italy. Yelp is also a good source.

We have had such a busy summer that I haven't planned anything for cruise - and we depart in 2 days!

In Boston (8am - 4pm), I am hoping to do the Freedom Trail. Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

How to get to the trail... and which end to start at?

Many thanks, Cruiznuts

I went to Boston last October and being a good tourist I walked the Freedom Trail. There are 16 recognised sites/sights. They are all covered by the 3 videos below. Parts 1 & 2 are all within a square mile of the traditional start point, Boston Common but you can join in wherever you want.

Part 1 Boston Common to King's Chapel

The Freedom Trail destinations in this first one are Boston Common, Massachusetts State House, Park Street Church, the Old Granary Burying Ground and King's Chapel.

Part 2 Boston Latin to Paul Revere's house

Boston Latin public school, Benjamin Franklin Statue, Old Corner Bookstore, Old South Meeting House, Old State House, Site of Boston Massacre, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market and Paul Revere's house.

Part 3 Old North Church to the Bunker Hill Monument

Old North Church, Copp's Hill Burying Ground, the U.S.S. Constitution and finally the Bunker Hill Monument (on Breed's Hill )

That last part is the one that requires most walking as you go out to Charlestown, a neighbourhood of Boston. The penultimate stop (i.e. no 15) is a real highlight - the

USS Constitution

The 20-minute tour of the great ship is free and takes place every 30 minutes but you need photo ID to get past the security check so take your passport with you. While you have a walk around the Cassin Young, which is in the adjacent dry dock. If you go to the Bunker Hill monument you can climb to the top (293 steps) for a great view the Constitution.

The whole thing is about 3 miles, and there's plenty of other things to see along the way, like the New England Holocaust Memorial which is a few yards from Fanueil Hall. A guide is not a must here - I used a fantastic free podcast by Ben Zotto (look for Ben's Boston Freedom Trail in iTunes) which did me very well and you can do it all at a leisurely pace in the time you have.

All the best, Tony

My advice is to do the Freedom Trail backwards. Take a cab to the Constitution first and do the first tour at 10 am. If you go earlier the Bunker Hill monument opens at 9 am if you want to climb it. Then take the mbta water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf and walk along the waterfront into the North End where you can have lunch. Pick up the Freedom trail in the North End and walk it backwards to the Boston Common. At Park St you can take any T subway train direction Braintree two stops to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL 2 bus (do not go though an exit gate) back to Black Falcon Terminal.

My advice is to do the Freedom Trail backwards. Take a cab to the Constitution first and do the first tour at 10 am. If you go earlier the Bunker Hill monument opens at 9 am if you want to climb it. Then take the mbta water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf and walk along the waterfront into the North End where you can have lunch. Pick up the Freedom trail in the North End and walk it backwards to the Boston Common. At Park St you can take any T subway train direction Braintree two stops to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL 2 bus (do not go though an exit gate) back to Black Falcon Terminal.

Why bother taking the T from Park Street to South Station? Just walk down Winter St, which becomes Summer St all the way to South Station. It's a ten minute walk.

Why bother taking the T from Park Street to South Station? Just walk down Winter St, which becomes Summer St all the way to South Station. It's a ten minute walk.

Walking is always an option, even all the way back to the pier. However, at the end of a long day walking the trail, it could be appealing to just pop down into the T at Park St. and ride all the way back to Black Falcon. IMO there's nothing that interesting between Park St. and South Station - just downtown stores and office buildings.

If you aren't familiar with the area, its easier to just take the T.

As an example, I spent a week at a customer in Downtown Crossing. I would take the commuter rail into South Station, then take the subway to Downtown Crossing. On the way home, I would walk to South Station. Why did I take the subway? I don't work in Boston daily, so rather than having to figure out where I am going to walk, I just take the subway. On the way back, the first time I was usually walking with the guy I worked with all day.

I would do the hop on hop off trolly. Also if you visit the Constution its like air port security. Nothing sharp is allowed on board. No small nail files, clippers, scissors, nothing. Why because people just have to carve thier name on the ship.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Archived