Soda Card Question That I Can't Find the Answer

teacher2cruiser

I read on the Carnival website that the Unlimited Soda Card is $6 per day. Here's my question: On a seven day cruise, I understand the card would be $42, but can you wait until there are are 3 days left and get it for $18 if you choose to do so? (I will take my coke zero, but I may deplete my supply :()

Thanks for anyone that has info. on this particular question.

On our Freedom 8 day last year, there was a sign at the bars stating that they would stop selling the sticker on day 3. It was the first time I'd seen them state there was a limit on how late you could buy them, but it was also the first time they'd used the stickers instead of the separate card.

You cannot wait past the first full day, i.e. pay for 6 days X $6 a day. (plus 15% tip)

You are correct here!

:confused: :confused: Are you sure??

They used to prorate the cards based on the number of days still left in the cruise. But I do not recall when they stopped selling them :o.

I am very sure, Just off the Elation for a 7 day. It was in the FUN times. Only available on day 1 (embarkation) and Day 2 (first full day). No more sold after that. It is cheaper the second day.

They do not charge tax no matter when you purchase this.

Stop giving out this false information?

They will charge you tax if you are in a US port. Two weeks ago while still

in port they had a table set up selling the stickers. I asked them directly if

the were charging tax. She told me they will be charging tax until they are

15 miles from any Florida land.

In Long Beach the tax is almost 10%. We got hit with it once. Then we realized we could buy an embarkation soda and the full price will be reversed when we buy the soda package after sailaway.

The tax only seems to be collected at the embarkation port. When we do the 4day from Long Beach the first stop is Catalina. '26 miles across the sea' and still in Los Angeles County, no tax is collected.

This poster didn't give false information. They do charge sales tax if you buy it at the table set up before sailaway. Wait until 2nd day to buy it and it saves you the first days' fee plus you won't have to pay tax. Or at least wait until you are in international waters to buy it or expect to add sales tax.

If Soda is taxable in the state you are in when you purchase the card, then they must charge the state/local tax. While the ship is in a US port (be it an embarcation port or port of call) it is, for lack of a better term, a floating restaurant as far a soda purchases are concerned.

It's the same reason the bars have a limited selection while in port at Galveston until you hit international waters. While at port, you're subject to whatever arcane state laws exist in that state. If you think keeping track of what state taxes what is a pain, try the alcoholic beverage codes of some states.

We have purchased many soda cards for our kids..... most recently on the Dream in August.

• Soda Cards ARE Taxable ( we have cruised out of NYC and Florida) if you buy them while still in port. We always purchase them the first night, or the next morning to avoid taxes.
  • On our most recent cruise, Soda cards were ONLY OFFERED on the day of embarkation and the first FULL DAY.
  • They were not offered any other day.
  • You are charged PER DAY... so if you purchase the second day, your price is $6.00 cheaper (for the adults).
  • Thermal Cups were also sold as an addition to the Soda Card Price.

Hope that helps!

Catrin

We have purchased many soda cards for our kids..... most recently on the Dream in August.

• Soda Cards ARE Taxable ( we have cruised out of NYC and Florida) if you buy them while still in port. We always purchase them the first night, or the next morning to avoid taxes.
  • On our most recent cruise, Soda cards were ONLY OFFERED on the day of embarkation and the first FULL DAY.
  • You are charged PER DAY... so if you purchase the second day, your price is $6.00 cheaper (for the adults).

Hope that helps!

Catrin

Is the thermal cup similar to what you get at the coffee station, and will they fill the thermal cup throughout the week if you have it with you?

MAYBE somebody will post a picture for me. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!

We just got off the Fantasy, 10/ 22. You can only buy them the first day and the second day. We waited until the second day. Our friend got one the first day and had to pay the taxes. She tried to get another on the third day and they were not offering them anymore.

now man up and say sorry LOL..

OK, sorry. As Fonzie says, I was RRRRRR, RRRRRRRR, WRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRR

WRong.....

But I did call Carnival and spoke with 2 seperate people before I made that statement and they swore that there was never tax charged to the beverage packages.

Then I searched the website and found that they do charge in some ports.

I am finding out the Carnival employees really have no idea about what they really do....LOL:)

Hope that helps!

Catrin

So the cup needs to be purchased additionally if you want it, and is not included in the cost of the soda card/sticker, correct? Sailing with my 12 year old for the first time, so we may be purchasing our first soda package. Thanks!

Archived