Soda Card Question That I Can't Find the Answer

teacher2cruiser

So the cup needs to be purchased additionally if you want it, and is not included in the cost of the soda card/sticker, correct? Sailing with my 12 year old for the first time, so we may be purchasing our first soda package. Thanks!

The thermal cup is totally optional.

They will serve the sodas in a clear glass at the bars or a clear plastic cup on the Lido Deck.

We never bought the Thermal cup, the bar glasses are just fine for my kids.

Catrin

Kids keeping up with the thermal cup:eek:, mine never did....quit buying them;)

I totally agree! Don't waste your money on the cups for kids--they will lose the cup as soon as the soda's gone.

One cruise we decided to bring those Motorola walkie-talkies. Stupid idea! On the first day, I was called to Guest Services multiple times to pick up my kids' walkie talkie that they left all over the ship. (Hint--put a piece of tape on the walkie talkie with your name and cabin number on it)

• 1 month later...
This poster didn't give false information. They do charge sales tax if you buy it at the table set up before sailaway. Wait until 2nd day to buy it and it saves you the first days' fee plus you won't have to pay tax. Or at least wait until you are in international waters to buy it or expect to add sales tax.

We just got off NCL and their "fine print" said that the soda card fee is not pro-rated. ie, if you are on a 7 day cruise and buy it 2 days in, you still pay for 7 days. Just wanted to confirm Carnival actually sells them cheaper on day 2???

I am trying to prepay as much of my expenses for my cruise. Can the soda cards be purchased in advance?

Not that I am aware of- But you can place an onboard credit for the amount of the soda card.

I buy funship dollars to cover my sign and sail card.

http://www.carnival.com/bonvoyage/addtocart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=fsd

(i also prepay my tips with final payment

I am trying to prepay as much of my expenses for my cruise. Can the soda cards be purchased in advance?

You can call Carnivals Bon Voyage Department and pre order/prepay them. My husband and I did this before our last cruise because like you we were trying to prepay as much as possible.

When you get to your room on embarkation day there will be the voucher on the table and you have to take it to the coffee shop ( on the ship we were on anyhow) and they will put the sticker on your SS card.

I bought a soda card on the carnival ecstasy in PC.

I bought it the first day, and was charged tax =/ Not a big deal to me, it's just a few dollars it's not going to make or break the bank.

I did purchase a thermal cup, they will fill it at the bars but you have to take off the top which is good because that's where your mouth goes! Don't want someone else's fingers on it.

I loved having the cup. The soda stayed cold, I didn't mind carrying it with me because of the lid and it was green!

If you or your kids can keep up with it I would definitely recommend it! Nice souvenier, I use it at home and remember my cruise.

We just got off NCL and their "fine print" said that the soda card fee is not pro-rated. ie, if you are on a 7 day cruise and buy it 2 days in, you still pay for 7 days. Just wanted to confirm Carnival actually sells them cheaper on day 2???

Yes they did discount my DS on day 2 but I believe they only do that the first 2 or 3 days of a 7 day cruise. They wouldn't let you buy a soda card on day 5 of a 7 day cruise.

I take my soda cup from Royal Caribbean on all my cruises regardless of the cruise line. I have a whole collection of them but that's the one I like best because it has a screw-on lid. I get some "looks" from the bar tenders on Princess about the "competition's" cup but they always fill it. It will be on my cruise in January and I won't need to buy one from Carnival.

And Carnival DID charge me tax on my soda card last January while we were in the port of Galveston.

Has anyone tried buying a 12 pack of soda in port and bringing it onboard? Just wondering if they would confiscate it as they do liquor.

I do this on Princess cruises sometimes if my supply from home is running low.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting the soda card. Does anyone know the cost of buying one soda? I don't drink soda very often... and can't really fathom spending $42/person for soda for the week.

And if I could bring a two litre on board, that'd be more than enough for me. Are we allowed to bring soda on board?

Has anyone tried buying a 12 pack of soda in port and bringing it onboard? Just wondering if they would confiscate it as they do liquor.

You are allowed to bring on a 12 pack of soda in your carry-on (not checked bags).

From Carnival FAQs:

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

Yes Carnival lets you bring soda onboard including from ports. We usually carry on a 12 pack of soda and some bottles of water (I prefer bottled vs deslinated from the ship) and we often stop midway thru the cruise to get some in one of the ports of call.

You are allowed to bring on a 12 pack of soda in your carry-on (not checked bags).

From Carnival FAQs:

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

I know that we can bring on a 12 pack of soda per person in our carry-on at embarkation. I did that.

My question is: can you REPLENLISH your supply from the ports of call and bring it on through out the cruise? without it being confiscated.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting the soda card. Does anyone know the cost of buying one soda? I don't drink soda very often... and can't really fathom spending $42/person for soda for the week.

And if I could bring a two litre on board, that'd be more than enough for me. Are we allowed to bring soda on board?

$1.95 is the cost per can on the ship...Unless you drink four or more per day, the soda card doesn't help you.

I know that we can bring on a 12 pack of soda per person in our carry-on at embarkation. I did that.

My question is: can you REPLENLISH your supply from the ports of call and bring it on through out the cruise? without it being confiscated.

yes you can but remember= the pepso or whatever product you get in mexico- or whereever might not taste what you are used to.

You can carry on 12 of any beverage- I am not sure about a 2 liter bottle as the rule states 20 ounces each.

remember that there is free ice tea and lemonade.

You can carry on from ports according to numerous ports on this board...but I don't remember seeing that spelled out in the cruise contract or the posted rules.

Thanks! I'll try that next time.

I know the products vary some in taste in foreign ports, but they'll do in a pinch ;)

Archived