Hamburg - how far from cruise port to points of interest?

i am thinking of getting tickets for Miniatur Wunderland (as recommended to me) and I would like to know the best way of getting there from the cruise terminal please.

Also, I am contemplating Chocoversum but I have not yet located it on Google Maps. Is it far from Miniatur Wunderland?

It depends where you dock. We used Altona, which is outside of the town, but there is a ferry (62) that goes straight into town and drops you about ten minutes from the Miniatur Wonderland. There is some useful information and maps on this page. https://www.whatsinport.com/Hamburg.htm

I was expecting to be only half amused by the Miniatur Wunderland, since I'm not that big a fan of model railways, but I ended up spending four hours there.

There were queues, so you might want to try and pre-book.

cruise schedule for Hamburg here: https://www.hafen-hamburg.de/en/vessels/cruise-saillinglist

if you dock at ALTONA you are about 2 miles from MW'land

You can use the underground/subway to get close to MW'land ... but still have a bit of a walk to get to there. A taxi would get you to the front door.

if you dock at HafenCity you are only 1/2 mile away ... walk it.

if you dock at Steinwerder (the new terminal) technically you are only 1.5 miles away but you can't get there!!! You are on the other side of the river and there is limited (no) public transportation for a 5 mile ride .... a taxi may be your only option. (or so it was when we visited and what I read today)

As others have mentioned this place IS worth the stop BUT is also very popular. We arrived early (without pre bought tickets) and still had a wait of at least an hour before we could enter (there is an a/c'd snack area where you can wait with FREE soft drinks!). I expected to spend an hour or two at most. We stayed FIVE and could have stayed longer. Mrs was as amazed as I .... we spent over an hour JUST at the airport scene. It is AMAZING ..... If you spend less than 2 hours you can NOT do the place justice ... there's THAT MUCH to see even as a quick glance.

Edited by Capt_BJ

We have just left Steinwerder and am pleased to say that P&O had arranged for free shuttle buses from the ship to the Town Hall, which seemed to be right in the middle of stuff. The journey took about 15 minutes.

The return journey was from outside the Town Hall and also took 15 minutes

The town hall is easy to find as it has a very tall ornate spire, which is now, coloured green (may be it is brass) which can be seen from several blocks away.

MISTAKE - the P&O shuttle buses are NOT free, my apologies. The fare was £5 each way for adults and £2.50 each way for children. We had booked the cruise with a Saver fare.

Edited by Sue's Mom

Just back from Hamburg with Royal Caribbean. We docked at Steinwerder, but the cruise ship had shuttle buses, $18 return each. Very difficult to get to town otherwise.

The bus took about 30 mins.

It was no more than 15 mins walk to Miniatur Wunderland. You can book a slot via their website, to save waiting when you get there.

We did a one hour behind the scene tour in English, booked in advance, cost 15€ in addition to the 15€ entrance fee! but well worth it to see how it all works. There was no English tour on the day we were in port, but I emailed them in advance, and they organised us a time to suit. After the tour, we spent another couple of hours looking round, then an easy walk back to the Town Hall square for a little sightseeing and to catch the return shuttle.