Passengers Sailing From Vancouver

ceilidh1

I just wanted to give everyone on cc the heads up about the process of leaving from Vancouver, as I work shoreside at Canada Place (can't speak for Ballantyne, sorry!)

First off, you will drop your luggage with the longshoremen just outside the main terminal entrance. Make sure it is tagged - don't worry if you don't have a room assigned yet as they will have a list, so as long as your name and ship are on the tags you are good to go.

Next step is to go through security. This is where your bags are screened to make sure you're not carrying any dangerous things, such as explosives and guns. You will pass through a metal detector, much like at the airport.

Following security you will go through US immigration. This pre-clears you for entry into the United States so that you do not need to do it at your first port of call. This process had one line up for Canadian and US passport holders and US permanent residents and a separate line up for any International passengers. International passport holders will be directed to a lounge area where they will sit and fill out the necessary paeprwork before being calle dup to immigration officers.

By this stage, you may have already waited in two very long lines - you are not yet at your cruiseline so please, please do not get angry with the cruise staff. These lines are completely beyond the control of the cruise line and the process is mandated by the US govt. You would not believe the number of passengers that get angry with us over the lines, yet surpisingly no one ever complains to an immigration officer (hmmm.....strange that!)

Following immigration you will go to your cruiseline and fill out a short health questionnaire. You will then check in with the cruiseline and receive your cruise cards. Providing the ship is ready for you, you are able to walk on and board at this time. Once you have your cruise card you may get back off the ship if you wish. However, you will have to complete all of the above steps (other than check in) to get back on again....

Hope this helps everyone out and lets you into what to expect when you get to Canada Place. Yes, there are likely to be lines. But you're going on vacation.....

ceilidh1,

Thankyou for answering my question about visas. My next question is We are Sailing on the Carnival Spirit 9/7/2010 from Seattle to Glacier Bay back to Vancouver. The Spirit then on the same day sails Vancouver to Hawaii on the 9/14/2010 we want to be on that cruise also. But some people are saying we can not do it due to the Passenger services Act. Carnival say we can. If I understand the Act that is why the Spirit is stopping in Vancouver because it is a foreign port. Is this so.

We are Sailing on the Carnival Spirit 9/7/2010 from Seattle to Glacier Bay back to Vancouver. The Spirit then on the same day sails Vancouver to Hawaii on the 9/14/2010 we want to be on that cruise also. But some people are saying we can not do it due to the Passenger services Act. Carnival say we can. If I understand the Act that is why the Spirit is stopping in Vancouver because it is a foreign port. Is this so.

Yes, you can do this back to back itinerary :D.

Your understanding is correct. The first cruise ends in Vancouver and the next one starts from there because it is the foreign port ships must stop at in order to pass muster with the Jones Act. As an aside, when the ship heads back from Hawaii to spend the winter homeported in San Diego (and vice versa) the point of disembarkation is Ensenada for the exact same reason.

This has been discussed before and I don't believe that it is the Jones Act that applies but a different piece of legislation.

I say this because a couple of years ago some friends and I took the one day dinner and dance cruise from Seattle to Vancouver and they wanted to stay on for the Repo to Los Angeles but were told they couldn't - so they booked a different ship and cruise line leaving Vancouver the same day.

There was also some confusion at that time about whether the cruise line or more importantly there sales rep were aware of the problem.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I don't know the official answer to this question, but logically I see no reason why you could not do the back to back - especially if the cruise line are saying you can. You are making a foreign port stop, so it should be fine. We have passengers do back 2 backs from Whittier to Vancouver and back to Whittier regularly. I don't see that it is any different in your case, but I could be wrong!

I would trust the cruise line on this one. As long as the ship stops in Vancouver it is OK.

Exactly correct, but make sure you ask the cruise line...I booked us on the Pearl in September, out of Seattle, to Vancouver and then back down into the U.S. (Astoria, Oregon), NCL took the booking, I booked my own air, now after questioning them about the Jones Act, they informed me I could not do that, they first said they would help with our transfer up to Vancouver, but being we're flying into Seattle the day before, they will do nothing except refund the one-nighter from Seattle. So to make a long story short, we're stuck sailing on a different line on the one nighter, and then transfer over to the Pearl...:o

I'm afraid it's gonna be a nightmare with Customs before we board the Pearl...:mad:

"we're stuck sailing on a different line on the one nighter, and then transfer over to the Pearl...'

exact same scenario that my friends encounter two years ago on the Pearl to Vancouver and then they had to take Princess south to SF or LA.

Cheers

Dennis

We will be sailing on the Veendam from Vancouver on August 9th. My 80 yr old mother is very excited and wants to get on the ship as soon as possible. I believe that embarkation begins at noon. What time should we arrive at the pier to begin the process? Also, we will be staying at the Pan Pacific. I think I read somewhere that they would send our luggage to the pier for us?

Any suugestions on when to arrive?

Thanks!

The Pan Pacific is right above Canada Place - they will have no problem getting your bags down there for you. If your mother is 80, I would suggest requesting a wheelchair at the pier - that way she won't need to worry about standing in line for a long time and they will fast track you through and wheel her right to the ship! Holland America usually begin check in before Princess (not sure if your date is a Saturday, if so both lines will be in port) so you might want to get there very early (around 11am) or much later (around 3:30pm) if you wish to avoid the crowds. Alternatively, get a wheelchair and try to get fast tracked! Good luck!

If you're arriving around midnight then you won't be doing the US Direct program so you will clear Canadian immigration and customs, collect your luggage and make your way to your hotel. You will find cabs right outside the main terminal but I would think that the shuttle bus will have finished by that time.

Once again, we saw very long lines at Canada Place today (Saturday) for security screening and US customs/immigration. Please be prepared if you are sailing on a Saturday and either arrive very early (before 11) or much later (after 3) if you want to avoid the worst of the lines!

thanks for the advice. However, I have a british passport from what I understand I now have to fill in, on line, a VWP form before I arrive at the port. Is this correct.

Also, am I right in thinking that I do not need a visa to enter Canada. I shall be flying direct from the UK to Vancouver.

Yes, you do need to fill in the visa wiva form online (ESTA). Basically, this pre-authorises you for the visa waiver program. However, it does not replace having to fill out the green visa waiver paper form when you arrive at the pier. You are correct in thinking you do not need a visa, but you will need to go through the International processing, fill out the green form, and get a set of fingerprints taken. This is why International passports take SO LONG! Even though you are flying into Canada. at the port before getting on the ship you will pre-clear US customs/immigration. So you will do Canadian customs at the airport and then US at the pier. I would suggest arriving as early as poassible if leaving from Canada Place (before 11am) or much later in the day (around 3:30pm) to avoid the longest lines!

So, I will need to fill in a green form and have finger prints taken when I arrive at Vancouver airport.

When I get to the pier I will have to fill in the green form for the US. This afternoon I went on line and filled in the VWP form.

I will be staying at the Fairmont waterfront hotel so it will not be a problen getting to Canada place before 11am.

Thanks for your advice, it was much appreciated.

So, I will need to fill in a green form and have finger prints taken when I arrive at Vancouver airport.

When I get to the pier I will have to fill in the green form for the US. This afternoon I went on line and filled in the VWP form.

I will be staying at the Fairmont waterfront hotel so it will not be a problen getting to Canada place before 11am.

Thanks for your advice, it was much appreciated.

I honestly have no idea what happens at the airport in order for you to enter Canada - they may/may not do the fingerprints, etc. At the pier, you are pre-clearing for entry into the US so they will definitely do the fingerprints and the green visa waiver form. At the airport, Canada customs may be a little different......

Wait time very much depends on the day and time. If you ae sailing on a Monday you will have about a half hour wait as only one ship is in port. On Saturday, we have both Princess and HAL, which means all passengers need to clear through the samr security and US customs lines. Security generally opens at 10:45am - get there between then and 12:00 and your wait time will be about 45 minutes or less. Between 12 and 3, we see the longest lines and you are looking at over an hour - it hasn't been over 2 hours, but it probably seems like it when standing in line! Having said that, International passport holders routinely have waits over 2 hours at the busy times! Arrive after 3pm and there will be less line ups and you may not have to wait at all. My advice - come very early or very late!

ceilidh1, thanks very much for your offer to answer questions.

We depart this Wednesday (July 8th 2009) for a cruise aboard the Spirit. We arrive the night before and want to maximize the time we can spend seeing Vancouver before boarding the ship.

Can we drop of our bags early in the morning (hand them to the porters, with a tip) and leave (to see the city) and come back much later to check in? How early would they accept our bags?

The Spririt departs at 5:30pm. What is the latest time that we can return to checking and miss most of the lines but not "miss the boat"? In this context it is important to note that my wife and one of my kids are not a US or Canadian citizens (they have visas to enter the US) and so might take more time to go through immigration.

Thanks for your advice!

Ron

Archived