Private Tour for Stonehenge & Bath or Stonehenge & Windsor

kmezz

If it were me, I would do Bath and Windsor. Stonehenge was a big flop as far as we were concerned. You look at the stones and that is it. Windsor Castle is fantastic and Eton is right there also. Bath is a very pretty town in itself besides the Roman Baths. Of course if you are into Druids and must see Stonehenge, that's your choice.

Carol

Does anyone know of a good private tour of Stonehenge and Bath or Stonehenge and Windsor? Which is better to include Bath or Windsor?

If its a private tour you want the I'd check out Harry Norman who charges about 300 GBP for a private tour of up to 6 without admissions. For 6 or over FCMBS will provide a small bus, typically 475 GBP for up to 10 people.

Bath v Windsor is a difficult one without knowing where your interests lie.

I would point out that Windsor is by London's Heathrow Airport and easly visiited independently from London. For someone to show you around Windsor Castle itself they need a special licence from Windsor Castle, most private tour people including Harry don't have this so you'l end up with the audio tour like everyone else.

Stonehenge is worthwhile but you need a good guide to build it up prior to arriving. A lot of people are left underwhelmed if they turn up cold expecting to be 'entertained' by a rtaher ordinary audio tour device.

Personall I'd opt for the Stonehenge and Bath itiinerary if only as a chance to get off the well trodden tourist track and see a little of the 'real England' between Stonehenge and Bath, perhaps hving a pub lunch in a country inn.

There is also a scheduled tour by Anderson that does just Stonehenge & Bath for 49 GBP per person including admission. Unlike most tours you get the whole afternoon in Bath on this, one time to take in Georgian Bath and not just be shuffled around the Roman baths within the 90 minutes standard you get with the Windsor, Stonehenge & Bath tours

not sure how much time you have in London - it is very easy to do Windsor yourself by train - very short walk from the station to the Castle/and town - we took a guided free tour upon entering that gave somebackground info - and lelft us by the entry to Queen mary's Doll House and/or entrance to Windsor Castle tour itself...since the line was short to Queen mary's dollhouse, we opted to get that done, then on to the audiotour of the castle itself then we went to the Chapel and walked around - very nice town to walk around in, crossed the river to walk around in Eton, but it was later in the day and not much was open.

We took a weekend tour with International Friends which was very good - Oxford, Cotswolds, stayed over in Bristol, and then the next day we went to Bath and then Stonehenge...we covered a lot of ground - were given quite a lot of time in Bath after touring the Roman Baths, got to see a lot of Cotswold villages (down narrow one lane dirt roads).....highly recommend it if you have the time.....

We booked the THREE in one day, Bath, Windsor and Stonehenge. To the poster that said Stonehenge was just a pile of rocks. Maybe that it is, but that was one of the places I have always wanted to see, and I enjoyed the experience immensely. If you think it was just a pile old stones, why did you pay money to go??> The entire experience was great, and if you know the history of Stonehenge, and believe the stories, it is a unique experience.

It is very possible to do all three in one day, and they give you about 2 hours in each place, except Stonehenge, which is about one hour. I felt it was more than enough time to see what there was to see.

One piece of advice, if you book with Evan Evans (we did the tour with them), they have a sort of cut rate web page, using a different name, but the same company, Evan Evans. If you book thru that company you can save at least $20-30. If anyone is interested, I'll look it up and post it here tomorrow.

Giantfan, I would appreciate the information you have. I would really like to do all three tours. I know there is not much to really "see" at stonehenge, but have been interested in it since I was really young so it would be great to be able to go there. Tia for the info, have a good one,

Sue

We booked the THREE in one day, Bath, Windsor and Stonehenge. To the poster that said Stonehenge was just a pile of rocks. Maybe that it is, but that was one of the places I have always wanted to see, and I enjoyed the experience immensely. If you think it was just a pile old stones, why did you pay money to go??> The entire experience was great, and if you know the history of Stonehenge, and believe the stories, it is a unique experience.

It is very possible to do all three in one day, and they give you about 2 hours in each place, except Stonehenge, which is about one hour. I felt it was more than enough time to see what there was to see.

One piece of advice, if you book with Evan Evans (we did the tour with them), they have a sort of cut rate web page, using a different name, but the same company, Evan Evans. If you book thru that company you can save at least $20-30. If anyone is interested, I'll look it up and post it here tomorrow.

I would also like the cut rate web page of Evan Evans. Love to save money since we have to exchange Canadian $ to GBP.

the site is Select Sightseeing Tours

http://www.selectsightseeing.co.uk/?gclid=CL_L7JXTrp0CFdFL5Qodsho6hQ

They ARE Evan Evans tours, just using a different name and a cheaper price. We emailed them before we took the tour, and they confirmed that they were indeed Evan Evans, and when we took the tour it was an Evan Evans tour, just a cheaper rate. Why, I can't tell you. We also got picked up at a nearby hotel. They all leave from Victoria Coach Station, but they have 'satellite' buses that pick up all passengers at local hotels and bring them to Victoria where you will catch the tour bus for whatever tour you booked.

We used Astral Tours which we found on the internet 2 years ago. It was a small bus and there were 11 of us including the driver and guide (and guide in training). We did Stonehenge, Bath, and the Cotswolds as we had done Windsor several times before (easy train ride). Astral offered many combinations of tours and they picked us up about a half of a block from the hotel. We had a great day with them and it was almost a private tour as there were so few of us. The guide was a history professor and he was very interesting. I would say we enjoyed the Cotswolds the least as they were filming a movie while we were there and things were blocked off. However, we really enjoyed Stonehenge and Bath. I would recommend Stonehenge and Windsor first and second and Bath last, unless you are really into the Roman ruins. Good luck!

Last fall we took Anderson tours to Bath & Stonehenge & really enjoyed the tour, the town, & the stones! I agree that Stonehenge is just 'rocks', but then, so is Grand Canyon, mountains, some ancient ruins, etc. and the ocean is just water.....get my point? It is what you make it. We are not druids, not into the folklore of Stonehenge, & we still wanted to go, & it was very cold at Stonehenge last November when we went, but we still enjoyed. The one photo I have on my fireplace mantle is of my husband & son in front of the 'stones'. Everyone recognizes the stones behind them - elicits great conversation & brings back good memories.

We also liked Bath. Great little attractive town - good for walking. We enjoyed seeing the baths & the Roman history.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Archived