Nevis-Ind. or Princess? SunsetBeachGal?

PescadoAmarillo

Carole, I saw where you asked a question about this on the St. Kitts board a year ago, so I've included you in the title, but would very much appreciate anyone's input.

We were scheduled to do an excursion last January through Princess that was a 6 hour boat trip to Nevis, some snorkeling and then beach time and lunch on Nevis. The excursion was cancelled due to hurricane damage on Nevis. I see that it is back on the schedule this year. However, we really are more independent types and will not stress about missing the ship if we go it alone.

First, has anyone done the excursion through Princess, and did you think it was worth the fairly steep price (about $120 to $130pp)? Where did you snorkel (was it reachable by land or only by boat)?

Has anyone taken the ferry from St. Kitts to Nevis? I found the schedule online...they run regularly (weather permitting) and the price is certainly good (US$16 round trip per person). Where do we go once we exit the cruise ship terminal to get to the ferry dock?

We are debating doing the excursion through Princess or going it alone. Once there, I think we would be most interested in visiting Alexander Hamilton's birthplace and perhaps the botanic gardens.

Thanks!

We did the Princess one in March 08 from the Emerald. The snorkel site was remote but in St Kitt's waters, not Nevis. The cat was too crowded for my liking, but the main problem was the Nevis beach and lunch...in addition to sharing lunch with passengers from another ship, the lunch area was filthy, and did not come close to looking like the "remote" beach shown in the photo....the photo shows what that beautiful lunch beach looked like. I complained to the tour desk, and showed them the photo. To their credit, they returned 30% of the fee.

IMG_6968.jpg

We are debating doing the excursion through Princess or going it alone. Once there, I think we would be most interested in visiting Alexander Hamilton's birthplace and perhaps the botanic gardens.

Thanks!

We took the Nevis Botanical Garden excursion through Princess last March (Which includes a brief stop to Alexander Hamilton birthplace) and loved it.

If you want to do it yourself the ferry terminal was to the left of the main cruise terminal. You can walk to it, but it is a bit of a hike. I can't remember how long the ferry ride was, it was such a beautiful day and I was just enjoying riding up top (which is open). Once you get to Charles Town, Nevis and you walk off the pier, the Alexander Hamilton Birthplace is to the left down the main road. There were no sidewalks if memory serves me right, and the road was surprisingly busy. There were taxis for hire at the pier. To get to the botanical garden you would have to get a taxi as it was quite a ways from Charles Town. It was really beautiful; one of the prettiest places I have ever been to.

Back to the Alexander Hamilton Birthplace, unless you have an interest in American Revolutionary history, and/or are an admirer of Alexander Hamilton you might want to skip the museum. My DH was bored stiff, I enjoyed it, but then Alexander Hamilton is one of my favorite of the Founding Fathers.

I've been to Nevis twice, but via a 30-pax tall ship. We anchored off-shore and "tendered" in on small motor boats. We were able to use the beautiful beach at the Four Seasons - very nice and very large, and outrageously priced drinks and food! Second trip, we hired a taxi van to do some sight-seeing. One of the most interesting things we saw was a small hotel atop a hill with a gorgeous view! It was originally a sugar mill plantation, and had original buildings. We did a tour, and learned that reservations had to be made a year in advance! We then spent about an hour in Charles Town, and - not surprisingly - there were very few "tourist" shops. The shops and businesses were pretty much geared toward the local population, and it was very busy. Nevis, with its British history, has left-lane driving, and the roads aren't that great. Nevis is where Princess Diana vacationed with her boys. One of our crew members was from Nevis, and told us that the best and prettiest beaches were privately owned and not accessible to the public. Kind of like Mustique. Nevis is small and hilly, and the only nice beach we saw was at the Four Seasons. These are just my experiences, but I don't think I'd spend that kind of money for a ship's tour.

Thanks very much for the thoughts. Chrysalis, I totally agree with you. The photo that you posted is not one of a picturesque beach....more like a construction zone. And if that equipment was being operated while you were dining, even worse.

Thanks for the ferry directions. That's exactly what I needed to know. I read it was about 600 yds. from the pier in St. Kitts, but I was uncertain of which way to turn as we exited. The botanic gardens sound wonderful, and DH is a die hard history buff and will enjoy Hamilton's birthplace...I think we'll mimic that one tour on our own (part walking, part taxi) for about 1/4 the cost.

Jeannie,

We went on the Nevis tour that you are asking about a few years ago. It was with Princess and it was crowded. It was the only snorkel tour I've been on where they were serving drinks way before we started snorkeling. It was fun and the beach was ok at the time and the lunch was ok. But I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Jeannie,

We went on the Nevis tour that you are asking about a few years ago. It was with Princess and it was crowded. It was the only snorkel tour I've been on where they were serving drinks way before we started snorkeling. It was fun and the beach was ok at the time and the lunch was ok. But I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Thanks Cathy...I'm definitely leaning towards the independent route based and your and everyone's responses. I think we'll play it by ear and see what the weather is like that day. Either Cockleshell Beach or Nevis...can't go wrong with those options.

Thanks Cathy...I'm definitely leaning towards the independent route based and your and everyone's responses. I think we'll play it by ear and see what the weather is like that day. Either Cockleshell Beach or Nevis...can't go wrong with those options.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Cockleshell this past March. Wilbur, the pig is a great host! :D

IMG_9610.jpg

Archived