Aft rooms on the Coral Princess

twobopps

Thinking about book a room on the Coral Princess and was wondering about the two aft rooms on deck 9 (dolphin deck). There are two big pieces of equipment mounted to the back of the ship right next to the aft rooms. Does anyone know what this equipment is and if it runs on tracks or makes a lot of noise during the night? The room numbers are D626 and D725. I've attached (I hope) a photo of the aft of the ship. Any information would be very appreciated.

photo-e.jpg.ea239443305aef768133e9d5eb00b46f.jpg

Thinking about book a room on the Coral Princess and was wondering about the two aft rooms on deck 9 (dolphin deck). There are two big pieces of equipment mounted to the back of the ship right next to the aft rooms. Does anyone know what this equipment is and if it runs on tracks or makes a lot of noise during the night? The room numbers are D626 and D725. I've attached (I hope) a photo of the aft of the ship. Any information would be very appreciated.

They are window washers and they run in port not at night. A crewmember will get in them as they move up the side of the ship.

They will block your view abit. We had a mini just a little further up from 725 and just walked back to the viewing area for a different perspective.

Thank you so much for the information. We are considering this room for a Panama Canal cruise. Looks like it may be a little better view than the normal balcony view - would you say so?

We did a Panama Canal cruise (partial Transit) on the Coral Princess a few years back and undoubtly the best place to be as you enter the locks in on one of the promenade decks forward. You really appreciate the elevation change from that vantage point.

We were just on the Coral and had a balcony room on Baja (B703). This was a great cabin: just 3 doors from the rear elevator, next to B630 which was the dividing line between cabin categories -- B630 was more expensive, balcony was partial shade at times (a huge plus for me) and the balcony was private -- could not be seen from top or side, and this cabin was just steps away from the laundry. PERFECT:D

We loved going to the "back porch" (aft deck) and went several times a day to watch the wake and see the stars and just hang out. NEVER crowded only a few people wandered back there. I did notice that the rear most cabins you could see everything on the balcony -- no privacy at all. I could even name the book they were reading which was on the little table.

I would advise picking a balcony (or inside if cost major factor) past the rear elevators and using the "back porch" as your own huge balcony.

Loved the Coral and the Panama Canal.

For the Canal locks we enjoyed the Patissere lounge -- especially the seats in the windows. Air conditioned, drinks available, Great elevator effect from the window and very NOT crowded. the first locks we did with people on deck and in Horizon Court. After that we moved around.

Bring something really bright to wear on balcony going through the locks. The photographers were on port side (our cabin on port) and they were taking photos with zooooms and they made a great souvenier.

Enjoy

The equipment is pretty big.

After seeing it firsthand I personally would not book it. I would move 4 or 5 cabins forward. We had 719/721 and it was nice to have access to that aft viewing area.

Hi Colorado Cruiser...

I just booked our first ever cruise on the Coral Princess, Baja deck Rm 719. Would it be similar to the one you stayed in? Did you like it? I am SO excited...we are headed to Alaska!

Hi Colorado Cruiser...

I just booked our first ever cruise on the Coral Princess, Baja deck Rm 719. Would it be similar to the one you stayed in? Did you like it? I am SO excited...we are headed to Alaska!

Yes! Check out the aft viewing area justs steps from your cabin door, its the deck right above the large piece of window cleaning equipment. I have fallen asleep out there many times (lots of loungers). That cabin would be on the opposite side of the ship.....

photo-e.jpg

First - you and especially your DH will love the full transit thru the canal. We have done it twice and will very definitely do it again. There is an excursion that allows you to transit half of the canal in a small vessel. You can actually reach out and touch the walls - a very different perspective from the day you transit on the large ship. Last year we did this trip on the Coral and were in cabin D716 with other family members in D718. Loved the location - was easy to just step out on to the large aft viewing area, was convenient for the laundry (which I utilize on a 15 day cruise - helps with being able to pack light). We got some vibration in those cabins - but nothing that deter me from choosing that location again. The large balcony was fabulous and having it fully covered offered quite a bit of protection from that hot tropical sun. If you can't already tell - this is our favorite ship, our favorite itinerary and our favorite cabin location. Have a great trip whichever cabin you select!!!!

We've been on her sister ship, the Island Princess, to Hawaii which was our favorite cruise ever but don't remember finding the aft viewing decks. I wonder if the Island had those decks?

We've been on her sister ship, the Island Princess, to Hawaii which was our favorite cruise ever but don't remember finding the aft viewing decks. I wonder if the Island had those decks?

Yes they are identical. Except the upper aft area now has the Sanctuary.

My DH is a civil engineer who is retiring in a few months. A full transit cruise is his dream retirement trip so we are going to try to make it happen.

It's definitely worth it -- he'll love it! I can't wait to do it again, that's how awesome it is. The whole experience is so nifty I had goosebumps for nearly the entire transit -- and that's saying something given the heat and humidity!!

Also, although I didn't have a balcony so can't contribute to that part of the discussion, I will just recommend that you don't miss the matching observation decks that are forward on Baja and Caribe. They're especially terrific vantage points for watching the first pre-dawn approach to the locks and you can see the guys in rowboats coming out with the lines to attach to the mules.

What a wonderful suggestion, thank you. I just don't see how any cruise can outdo Hawaii but I'm sure it will be great. What time of year did you cruise rdsqrl? I am hoping that late January or early February will not be suffocatingly hot.

We sailed March 7, 2010 and it was hot in Cartagena (humid/85degrees) and a couple of other stops but mostly it was tolerable. I do get overheated pretty easily and I would just suggest that you stay out of the torture museum's 2 nd floor where little air flow and lots of people. I thought March was pretty good and lots of people have enjoyed this trip in January and February.

What a wonderful suggestion, thank you. I just don't see how any cruise can outdo Hawaii but I'm sure it will be great. What time of year did you cruise rdsqrl? I am hoping that late January or early February will not be suffocatingly hot.

We lived in Panama most of our lives. January and early February is the best time to go. It's dry season so less humidity. My husband's grandfather went down there in 1908 when they were building the Canal. It's a fantastic achievement Americans can be proud of. Have a wonderful cruise!

We lived in Panama most of our lives. January and early February is the best time to go. It's dry season so less humidity. My husband's grandfather went down there in 1908 when they were building the Canal. It's a fantastic achievement Americans can be proud of. Have a wonderful cruise!

What an exotic place to live! Yes, my DH is thrilled to see one of the engineering marvels of the world. Thank you for the advice on the weather.

We sailed March 7, 2010 and it was hot in Cartagena (humid/85degrees) and a couple of other stops but mostly it was tolerable. I do get overheated pretty easily and I would just suggest that you stay out of the torture museum's 2 nd floor where little air flow and lots of people. I thought March was pretty good and lots of people have enjoyed this trip in January and February.

I would probably feel as you do about the heat. We were in Hawaii in late February/Early March and I thought I was going to melt from the humidity. Surely the trip through the canal is worth the discomfort?

Archived