Port Vila Wharf Photos

At least they seem to be doing something about improving the port facilities I wonder what exactly the building will be used for...wouldn't be Vila without the minivan negotiations on price for a ride into town and the ruts in the roads.:D

yes they have finished the wharf i was there on the 9th of may and i heard they were officially opening the wharf the next day i have some pics but don't know how to add them as yet

yes they have finished the wharf i was there on the 9th of may and i heard they were officially opening the wharf the next day i have some pics but don't know how to add them as yet

That's great news. Where were the market stalls? Were they in the yard where they used to be or are they inside the new big building. The stallholders were hoping they might be located under cover.

the stalls were at the time just out side the little gate on the left out side the fence on the road , they might let them back in once the wharf has opened

Was there 2 weeks ago and this is how it currently looks.

Markets were still outside the gate

Thank you. I'm hoping they will let the stallholders set up inside the yard the way they used to. It is so difficult with the stalls lining the narrow road and taxis jockying for position and customers.

Thank you. I'm hoping they will let the stallholders set up inside the yard the way they used to. It is so difficult with the stalls lining the narrow road and taxis jockying for position and customers.

Yes it was chaos as usual. Vans and taxis trying to do u turns and horns going.

Much more civilised on the dock itself.;)

Was there a few weeks ago on Dawn Princess after last being their 20 odd years ago in my Navy days.

Couldn't help notice the sign indicating that the funding for the new wharf was aid from Japan. Hopefully nothing to do with "buying" votes in the International Whaling Commission or access to other natural resources for next to nothing.

I was really looking forward to visiting Vila again, the last time I was there was only a couple of years after independence and the place had a "good vibe" and main drag was relatively pleasant. Unfortunately things seemed to have gone downhill a fair bit since then.

The markets outside the gates were pretty ordinary - we did purchase some items there, but did hear that they are owned by Chinese business interests and that prices are set and the "stall holders" do not get much out of it. Don't know how true that was though, but the goods on sale all seemed pretty much the same from stall to stall.

Still enjoyed the port visit and was very much an eye opener to my 80 year old mum who had never been out of Aust before. She is still enjoying her duty free Johnny Walker she bought there!!

I also liked the unique sound of the family group singing just outside the gate and gave generously.

Was there a few weeks ago on Dawn Princess after last being their 20 odd years ago in my Navy days.

Couldn't help notice the sign indicating that the funding for the new wharf was aid from Japan. Hopefully nothing to do with "buying" votes in the International Whaling Commission or access to other natural resources for next to nothing.

I was really looking forward to visiting Vila again, the last time I was there was only a couple of years after independence and the place had a "good vibe" and main drag was relatively pleasant. Unfortunately things seemed to have gone downhill a fair bit since then.

The markets outside the gates were pretty ordinary - we did purchase some items there, but did hear that they are owned by Chinese business interests and that prices are set and the "stall holders" do not get much out of it. Don't know how true that was though, but the goods on sale all seemed pretty much the same from stall to stall.

Still enjoyed the port visit and was very much an eye opener to my 80 year old mum who had never been out of Aust before. She is still enjoying her duty free Johnny Walker she bought there!!

I also liked the unique sound of the family group singing just outside the gate and gave generously.

I noted the funding sign too and the fact that only local labour was employed (it looked very labour-intensive). The stalls were very ordinary (so many carrying the same stock), plus it was't very pleasant walking up and down the busy road outside the port gate. I hope the stallhoplders will be allowed inside the gate.

It would have been a lovely trip for you, showing your grandmother this part of the world.

Anna:)

Archived