Tarquinia and the Etruscan tombs from Civitavecchia

edpacecar

Would like to go to Tarquinia and the Etruscan tombs from Civitavecchia. We are do some back to back cruises and will be in Civitavecchia on Mon. 10/25/2010 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM. So time wise we should have plenty of time do it. Sailing on the Westerdam.

But if we take the bus how do we also get to the Etruscan tombs?

So for those who have done this by bus where do we buy the tickets (I assume round trip)?

If anyone has used a tour guide or taxi let me know who and rates if possible. Web links would be nice if you have them.

We went to Tarquinia from Rome on the way to our cruise ship in October. We used Rome Cabs which took us first to the Etruscan tombs - very interesting - I think we had about an hour there but if you are really into checking out every single tomb, you could spend more time looking around. They then took us into the town and dropped us near the museum so we could look around at our own pace and also we had time to walk around the quaint little town. Then we were taken to a beautiful location for wine and olive oil tasting and lunch....I am sorry I do not remember the name of the place but it was some of the best food I've ever had! Our group of 8 were the only English speaking folks there. They had to bring in their 1 English speaking employee just for us and she explained both the wine and olive oil making processes, did our wine and olive oil tasting, took our lunch orders, took us downstairs to where they made their liquers for sampling, and took us to their store. It was a grand way to start our cruise. It was 125 euros per couple for transfer from Rome to Tarquinia to the ship. Lunch (which was substantial and included wine) was only about 23 euros per couple---well worth the money.

Here is what we did last year.

Since we have been to Rome twice and it’s a long ride there we decided to go to the walled town of Tarquinia. We took the local bus to the walled city whose claim to fame is it’s painted Etruscan tombs. We took the free port shuttle to the port exit and crossed the street to the McDonalds. We continued past the McD to the next road where there is a newspaper stand. This is where we purchased our tickets. The bus was 2euros each way. We bought the return ticket also. A little further down the road across the street from the Church of Santa Fransisco is the bus stop. We caught the 10:04 bus which was right on time. It was an enjoyable 30 minute bus ride to the town where we stopped in at the IT just inside the wall to get a map. We first visited the Archaeological Museum which is in an old palace. The museum was 6 euros but in combination with the necropolis it is 8 euros. We then walked up the street to the plaza and turned right to exit the wall to get to the necropolis. About a half mile outside the wall is the Necropolis where there are about 20 tombs open underground to look at. The tombs have paintings on the walls that date back to 500BC. After seeing several of the tombs we walked back to town. We just missed the 1:30 bus so we explored the town a little and caught the 2:50 bus which was 5 minutes early. It was lucky we missed the 1:30 bus because walking around the town was very nice. There was a park on the far side with beautiful views of the valley. Both the museum and the necropolis have clean bathrooms.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do this in July!

Here is what we did last year.

Since we have been to Rome twice and it’s a long ride there we decided to go to the walled town of Tarquinia. We took the local bus to the walled city whose claim to fame is it’s painted Etruscan tombs. We took the free port shuttle to the port exit and crossed the street to the McDonalds. We continued past the McD to the next road where there is a newspaper stand. This is where we purchased our tickets. The bus was 2euros each way. We bought the return ticket also. A little further down the road across the street from the Church of Santa Fransisco is the bus stop. We caught the 10:04 bus which was right on time. It was an enjoyable 30 minute bus ride to the town where we stopped in at the IT just inside the wall to get a map. We first visited the Archaeological Museum which is in an old palace. The museum was 6 euros but in combination with the necropolis it is 8 euros. We then walked up the street to the plaza and turned right to exit the wall to get to the necropolis. About a half mile outside the wall is the Necropolis where there are about 20 tombs open underground to look at. The tombs have paintings on the walls that date back to 500BC. After seeing several of the tombs we walked back to town. We just missed the 1:30 bus so we explored the town a little and caught the 2:50 bus which was 5 minutes early. It was lucky we missed the 1:30 bus because walking around the town was very nice. There was a park on the far side with beautiful views of the valley. Both the museum and the necropolis have clean bathrooms.

We did it a couple of years ago with Italy Limousine and I would use them again. We were on a cruise and had 2 days in Civitavecchia. We spent the first day running around Rome but wanted to spend the 2nd day at a somewhat more reasonable pace. Our driver was great and took us to 2 places and let us spend the time we wanted at each place. It is a difficult walk for those with mobility issues but well worth the visit. My mother wanted to go along with us for the day but couldn't do all of the walking. Our guide bought her a cappuccino and practiced his English with her. She loved it...

I think Rome is a must for those that haven't seen it but Tarquinia and the Etruscan tombs is great for those that have seen Rome and want something else to see. I'd go there again!

Would like to go to Tarquinia and the Etruscan tombs from Civitavecchia. We are do some back to back cruises and will be in Civitavecchia on Mon. 10/25/2010 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM. So time wise we should have plenty of time do it. Sailing on the Westerdam.

But if we take the bus how do we also get to the Etruscan tombs?

So for those who have done this by bus where do we buy the tickets (I assume round trip)?

If anyone has used a tour guide or taxi let me know who and rates if possible. Web links would be nice if you have them.

Did you go and was it open? I thought that the site was closed on Mondays. We are going in August and ruled it out because of the Monday port arrival.

Email me at jmkaplan@ix.netcom.com

Thanks,

Jim

I haven't done it yet, but I've booked it. We're doing this tour on the way to the ship. Figured if I was paying that much for the drive and we've got the time, might as well see something along the way

http://www.romeinlimo.com/etruscan-tour.htm

We did the Rome in Limo tour of this last year. It was very good and we really enjoyed it:)

I haven't done it yet, but I've booked it. We're doing this tour on the way to the ship. Figured if I was paying that much for the drive and we've got the time, might as well see something along the way

http://www.romeinlimo.com/etruscan-tour.htm

I did this Rome in Limo tour last Feb. and really enjoyed it. We went to the tombs first and saw the wall paintings, etc. Gorgeous views from the Necropolis site.

Then we went to the museum to see the artifacts that were contained in the tombs. We found we benefited from having a guide on this tour. The Etruscans were quite advanced and you soon realize how much of they influenced in the later Roman style. I think you'll love this tour. Have a great cruise.

Martha

I did this Rome in Limo tour last Feb. and really enjoyed it. We went to the tombs first and saw the wall paintings, etc. Gorgeous views from the Necropolis site.

Then we went to the museum to see the artifacts that were contained in the tombs. We found we benefited from having a guide on this tour. The Etruscans were quite advanced and you soon realize how much of they influenced in the later Roman style. I think you'll love this tour. Have a great cruise.

Martha

Thanks for sharing Martha :)

Hi! Thanks for the information you have provided. We are considering doing Tarquinia and Ceri with Rome in Limo (we have used them before). they also state that they can add Tuscania to the day if you want. Did you do this? What did you think of Ceri? Worth it? Your comments would be really helpful!

Thanks, Peg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived