Glacier Bay and Government Shutdown

dan1618

I contacted Glacier Bay National Park by phone today (The office number is listed on their website). I asked if Glacier Bay would be closed to cruise ships in the event of a government shutdown. I was told that Glacier Bay would be closed to all activity, including cruise ships. If you are booked on an Alaska cruise for the next few months, I strongly encourage you to contact your representatives and tell them to resolve this issue.

I agree although think that there are a couple of other things that won't be open or working that might be even more concerning. But I would doubt that it will last more than a couple of weeks max anyway.

It depends on when you are going. The last government shutdown lasted about 3 weeks. With the rhetoric now, it's hard to say what this one will do.

What other things would you be more concerned about that would affect an Alaska cruise? It won't affect customs or anything similar, so I believe this would be the only thing to directly affect a cruise.

I agree, but this is a cruise website. If I am dropping a few thousand dollars for a once in a lifetime Alaska cruise, it matters to me.

Absolutely- and you are right. I think people should call and demand that a compromise be made for these and many many other reasons. I am pretty sure that by cruise season (nearly a month from now) the government will be back in business. If it isn't, missing glacier bay may be the least of our worries.

What other things would you be more concerned about that would affect an Alaska cruise?

Passport applications (new and renewals) will not be processed. My renewal is at the Department of State right now....

I contacted Glacier Bay National Park by phone today (The office number is listed on their website). I asked if Glacier Bay would be closed to cruise ships in the event of a government shutdown. I was told that Glacier Bay would be closed to all activity, including cruise ships. If you are booked on an Alaska cruise for the next few months, I strongly encourage you to contact your representatives and tell them to resolve this issue.

I find it odd that 3 of your 4 posts are regarding the government shutdown that most likely will not affect any cruises this season. The other was about the eagle webcam in Iowa. The most valid concern on this thread comes from Capriccio and the passport issue.

Kind of looks like you’re here just to stir the pot.

I find it odd that 3 of your 4 posts are regarding the government shutdown that most likely will not affect any cruises this season. The other was about the eagle webcam in Iowa. The most valid concern on this thread comes from Capriccio and the passport issue.

Kind of looks like you’re here just to stir the pot.

Or Chilkoot, maybe it's a case that it is the first time I posted.

What exactly did I do to stir the pot? My post was polite. My replies were polite. And it is a valid concern as others have noted. What is your point in attacking me just because I happen to be new? Thanks for the nice welcome to the site!

Let me back up here.

Welcome to the Alaska Board Dan1618! Nice to have you as a part of this group.

You are certainly correct. It would be awful if your Glacier Bay experience was disrupted by a shutdown. You should also be prepare for other issues with this as all national parks would be closed as well as non-essential federal offices that you may encounter in Alaska. Alaska has one of the highest percentages of federal employees so there would be a lot of disruption. Hope this helps with your dilemma although I’m not quite sure what the dilemma is. Are you considering canceling?

I was on one of the first cruise vessels to enter Glacier Bay last May and we didn’t arrive until May 11, over 4 weeks from now. When are you scheduled to be in Glacier Bay, Dan1618? Maybe we can hash out some alternatives for you that might help.

I was on one of the first cruise vessels to enter Glacier Bay last May and we didn’t arrive until May 11, over 4 weeks from now. When are you scheduled to be in Glacier Bay, Dan1618? Maybe we can hash out some alternatives for you that might help.

I'm on the NCL Pearl which is scheduled for GB on Thursday May 19. What alternatives can there be if the ship is between Skageway and Ketchiken?

This is my first and maybe only Alaska trip and I specifically picked this one and paid more because of GB. It would be a real bummer if we were locked out.

Let me back up here.

Welcome to the Alaska Board Dan1618! Nice to have you as a part of this group.

You are certainly correct. It would be awful if your Glacier Bay experience was disrupted by a shutdown. You should also be prepare for other issues with this as all national parks would be closed as well as non-essential federal offices that you may encounter in Alaska. Alaska has one of the highest percentages of federal employees so there would be a lot of disruption. Hope this helps with your dilemma although I’m not quite sure what the dilemma is. Are you considering canceling?

I didn't post it as a dilemma as much as information. When I was trying to find out if it would be closed in that event, I did a Google search. Multiple results came up from Cruise Critic where people had asked the question in the forums, but when I went there, it was an invalid link. I decided to post what I had discovered as information and as an additional motivation for people to contact their congressional representatives. There was no dilemma. It was just information because many people in this particular segment of the message board might be affected by it. I know it is 4 weeks away or more for most. That's why it seemed like now, rather than later was the time to post it. Now something can be done. In 4 weeks, those of us that will be on cruises scheduled for Glacier Bay could just commiserate that we won't be seeing it.

Thanks for the info about additional potential federal disruptions in Alaska. I don't know that we had plans for any other Alaska federal parks, but that will let us know to prepare in advance.

Forgive my ignorance, but what constitutes a "shut down"? I'm on Statendam leaving Vancouver on 22 May.

If Congress does not approve a new budget, then all non-essential government services would be shut down because the government would not be legally able to pay their employees. That would include national parks like Glacier Bay, so it would be closed to the public and ships would not be permitted to enter.

Welcome, Dan, and thanks for the note. I'll be keenly more aware of how this might affect our cruise. Hopefully things will be resolved before our May 21 cruise.

On another note, I just spoke with my son who is an Air Traffic Controller at Detroit Metro Airport. He is lucky as he will continue to report to work as scheduled. He will be unlucky on another level, as of after tomorrow, he will be working without pay until the shut-down is resolved. Correction - he will be working for pay - but not getting paid - until everyone goes back to work because the office personnel will not be there to cut the paychecks or initiate direct deposit.

I'm sure he is one of many American Government employees in the same situation.

Yesterday we had a very large delivery of government paperwork that we assume was being rushed out to get ahead of a shut down. It appears that a lot of people were trying to clear off their desks.

None of it was passports.

I hope the passport issue will be resolved soon for those who are waiting.

Yesterday we had a very large delivery of government paperwork that we assume was being rushed out to get ahead of a shut down. It appears that a lot of people were trying to clear off their desks.

None of it was passports.

I hope the passport issue will be resolved soon for those who are waiting.

While this will not do anything for anyone waiting for passports if the shutdown extends past their departure date, it could help if the government reopens but they are concerned about getting it in time: it is possible to expedite an application once it is sent in, but you have to visit the regional passport agency in person. Here is a link to the list of regional passport agencies for anyone so affected:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

Also, there is an article about the impact in and around Juneau. The title says there won't be much, but if you read the article, it could definitely affect plans.

http://juneauempire.com/local/2011-04-07/little-immediate-local-impact-seen-if-feds-shut-down-government

My dh and I applied for our passport cards 3 weeks ago and yesterday they emailed saying that they are in progress.. I'm hoping they get here in time as I only got them to drive into the Yukon.

Where are you sailing from and what is your itinerary? Even if you are sailing from Seattle, if there are any stops at Canadian ports, you will need the passport to board the cruise.

Where are you sailing from and what is your itinerary? Even if you are sailing from Seattle, if there are any stops at Canadian ports, you will need the passport to board the cruise.

It's a closed loop cruise so technically I do not need a passport. I'm renting a car in Skagway to drive into Canada. Yes, we stop at Victoria but I still don't have to have it, they just recommend it.

Since this thread is about highly unlikely scenarios consider that it was not too long ago that US airspace was shutdown. Having a passport gives you more flexibility for transportation should it happen again. Not that the shutdown is highly unlikely but the chance of it affecting cruise travel is. The bigger issue is still passport processing. If you’re developing contingencies for travel, a passport is a must even though it may not be necessary for your intended trip.

Dan,

Thank you for the heads up. National Park closures would definitely affect our cruisetour to Denali National Park and Glacier Bay. We do not leave until June 2, so I will hope for a swift budget resolution.

The sooner the better for the mental health of all those leaving for Alaska in the next few weeks!

Julie

First of all, I very seriously doubt they will close Glacier Bay to vessel traffic, including cruise ships. What is more likely to happen is that the rangers will not be able to board and give their program, although even that may happen. The government shutdown is for services that aren't funded by outside sources. The cruise ships pay a fee per head for Glacier Bay, so it is funded by an outside source. However, if you are in Bartlett Cove and really, really need to use the bathroom.....

Of more concern are passports, as previously mentioned, and other national park and forest-service funded areas. I don't think people realize how many of the tours and excursions are on public lands. While the shutdown could possibly affect any number of tours from helicopter landings on Mendenhall Glacier (Forest Service) to tours in Skagway (park service) what could be closed down remains to be seen. Most certainly all the park service stuff in Skagway would close and the Mendenhall visitor center. Some concessionaires that don't yet have permits in place may not be able to operate tours. The possibilities are almost endless, but also very unpredictable. I for one am not going to worry about it, although I will be on a ship in early May.

Archived