QM2 Fails Inspection

VTSKIandCRUISEGUY

Check out the CDC website

wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

and you'll see that the QM2 failed it's inspection on June 10.

Some pretty disgusting things found.

You'd think for a premium price, they'd do better.

-----

Have you been on the QM2 recently?

Have you been on the QM2 recently?

I was on board into NYC on June 10th and was aware that evening that some serious problems had been identified. I believe that the local USPH office has not inspected the QM2 for over 8 months. There was no feeling on board that standards had slipped at all but obviously there were areas that concerned the USPH inspectors.

LONG LIST!

I breezed through it and found many were rather technical and minor. There were a few "four fruit flies observed" and a "couple cockroaches scurrying" warnings. All it did for me was make me glad I don't work in restaurants anymore.

LONG LIST!

I breezed through it and found many were rather technical and minor. There were a few "four fruit flies observed" and a "couple cockroaches scurrying" warnings. All it did for me was make me glad I don't work in restaurants anymore.

Here here..... I think those who have never worked in restaurants would be horrified to know what lurks in the kitchens of even the finest of establishments.

Not wishing to minimise this matter, I had occasion in the 1970s to visit the kitchens in the Cafe Royal in London, which at that time was a top spot. I was standing waiting with my back to a tiled wall and sensing something amiss I looked around and saw that this wall was totally covered with hundreds, perhaps thousands of cockroaches wriggling around. I had eaten there before but could never bring myself to return.

there is more there then a few fruit flies. a pool with no persons in it but lots of dirt and HAIR!!! Sounds pretty gross..... Family has been in the restaurant business many years and this report grosses me out!!!! Not a proper report on a luxury ship!! Hopefully all is addressed quickly and the ship will be extra cautious now that they are on the hit list!!!!Watching for a correction report!!!

LONG LIST!

I will never forget a health and hygiene inspection that my Battalion was subjected to in Shackleton Barracks in Ballykelly, Northern Ireland in 1981. The report on A Company accommodation made fascinating reading. There was only one major complaint and the Commanding Officer called me into his office and said "Read this Mr Christie! It's disgraceful". The paragraph he wanted me to read ended with the immortal words "...and traces of human faeces were found in one of the toilet bowls".

He said "That's in your area - what you have you got to say?" . To which I replied "Well sir, I suppose it's better than finding it in the sink!". He wasn't amused.

J

i will never forget a health and hygiene inspection that my battalion was subjected to in shackleton barracks in ballykelly, northern ireland in 1981. The report on a company accommodation made fascinating reading. There was only one major complaint and the commanding officer called me into his office and said "read this mr christie! It's disgraceful". The paragraph he wanted me to read ended with the immortal words "...and traces of human faeces were found in one of the toilet bowls".

He said "that's in your area - what you have you got to say?" . To which i replied "well sir, i suppose it's better than finding it in the sink!". He wasn't amused.

J

lol

there is more there then a few fruit flies. a pool with no persons in it but lots of dirt and HAIR!!! Sounds pretty gross..... Family has been in the restaurant business many years and this report grosses me out!!!! Not a proper report on a luxury ship!! Hopefully all is addressed quickly and the ship will be extra cautious now that they are on the hit list!!!!Watching for a correction report!!!

Hair in a swimming pool, whatever next.

... I was standing waiting with my back to a tiled wall and sensing something amiss I looked around and saw that this wall was totally covered with hundreds, perhaps thousands of cockroaches wriggling around. I had eaten there before but could never bring myself to return.

In the early 80s I worked in a Woolworth's Harvest House restaurant (do they have those in Britain?) cafeteria. Lucky that people focused on the food, which many thought divine, because the wall behind them in the line often had major roach traffic. That place was nicknamed the "Harvest Hole" by staff and executives. There was no way to kill off the roaches. We got rid of everything, but the roaches would appear in ever-increasing numbers. Disgusting! ... the food was awesome, well, some of it. Maybe the roaches were a secret ingredient. j/k

The paragraph he wanted me to read ended with the immortal words "...and traces of human faeces were found in one of the toilet bowls".

He said "That's in your area - what you have you got to say?" . To which I replied "Well sir, I suppose it's better than finding it in the sink!". He wasn't amused.

haha True, though.

This is a very disappointing score for an upscale ship with a fine reputation like the QM2. Looks like some officers and crew are not doing their jobs properly, and I hope Cunard will hold them accountable. We are doing our second crossing on the QM2 in August, and hope the ship will have addressed most if not all of these issues by then. If not, we will not be returning.

I was also on 10th June crossing, and, heard nothing and saw nothing.

My cabin was kept beautifully, wherever I ate the food looked good and tasted fine, similarly in the bars.

How did I miss all these problems?

A lot of the citations were for "back of the house" problems--kitchen ventillation, food storage, dishwasher temperature, etc.

Just did a search on the CDC site for all ratings below 85 and I was surprised it appears that being below 85 is really rare (Only saw 6 listed since 2007)... Hopefully they fix all of the violations :)

And QM2 is in very bad company -- the other 5 failed ships are no where near a premium or upscale cruise line status like Cunard. With this kind of poor performance, some officers aboard the QM2 may be walking the plank very soon.;)

Not wishing to minimise this matter, I had occasion in the 1970s to visit the kitchens in the Cafe Royal in London, which at that time was a top spot. I was standing waiting with my back to a tiled wall and sensing something amiss I looked around and saw that this wall was totally covered with hundreds, perhaps thousands of cockroaches wriggling around. I had eaten there before but could never bring myself to return.
Quote from a famous episode of a famous 1950s TV sitcom "It's so tasty too.Just like candy" :D But seriously folks the CDC reports of those ugly critters crawling around the QM2 does NOT help the QM2 in the passengers making bookings dept :eek: Hopefully the problem will be cleaned up very soon if it has not been cleaned up yet already. Regards,Jerry

Quote from a famous episode of a famous 1950s TV sitcom "It's so tasty too.Just like candy" :D But seriously folks the CDC reports of those ugly critters crawling around the QM2 does NOT help the QM2 in the passengers making bookings dept :eek: Hopefully the problem will be cleaned up very soon if it has not been cleaned up yet already. Regards,Jerry

I hope they get it fixed soon as well. What concerns me is that the list of violations include many items that indicate a poorly trained crew that has a disregard for proper sanitation. The word "filthy" was used in a number of instances. There were repeated cases of food being kept in unsanitary conditions. And it would appear that some of the issues were created over a long period of time. This suggests poor management.

I hope they get it fixed soon as well. What concerns me is that the list of violations include many items that indicate a poorly trained crew that has a disregard for proper sanitation. The word "filthy" was used in a number of instances. There were repeated cases of food being kept in unsanitary conditions. And it would appear that some of the issues were created over a long period of time. This suggests poor management.

Commodoredave, I agree with you 100%.For the money they are charging to go aboard QM2, us passengers do expect a very clean and tidy ship.You did say that if they did not clean-up their act you would not be returning to the QM2 and I don't blame you.Though it would be very hard for me because there are no other Ocean Liners crossing the North Atlantic anymore :( Maybe I can sneak food from home aboard the QM2 :) Regards,Jerry

A lot of the citations were for "back of the house" problems--kitchen ventillation, food storage, dishwasher temperature, etc.

Its those " back of the house " issues that CDC looks for because those are the ones that will make you sick and often very seriously sick. These failing scores do have an effect on bookings .

Can we get some perspective on this matter, since 2005 the scores have consistently been in the 90s with 3 recent scores of 100 followed by 98, 97 and 98. It is clearly a glitch which they will obviously be taking very seriously and working hard to remedy the situation. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Can we get some perspective on this matter, since 2005 the scores have consistently been in the 90s with 3 recent scores of 100 followed by 98, 97 and 98. It is clearly a glitch which they will obviously be taking very seriously and working hard to remedy the situation. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Cap'n, Maybe the problem with the rodents is that the warehouse that stores the food that is trucked to the QM2, that maybe these warehouses are infested with rodents and then when the food is trucked to the QM2 those ugly disgusting rodents come along for the ride hidden in the food containers :eek: Regards,Jerry

I am sure they will take care of it and I would expect that over the course of the next few months the ship will be in its best form!! The bigger concern is that they should have some type of internal checks system that prevents this from happening, it is very surprising that they let this go... My guess is that some of the officers on the Queen Mary 2 have been "spoken" to!!

Archived