Seattle Food Choice-- Help

MrsHeart

Have never been to either of the places you mentioned but we were just in Seattle on Saturday the 2nd and we had dinner at Ivar's Acres of Clams. It is on the waterfront pier 54. We visited friends who said this is one of their favorite places. The food was great and we had a table overlooking the water where the boats come in. Very enjoyable.

Matt's in an instant. Are those your only two choices?

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I've been to Cutter's, it's fine, but nothing spectacular. On the other hand, the buzz about Matt's is awesome--it's one of the most highly-recommended places in town on the foodie discussion boards. I'm dying to go there!

Glad to hear the good review of Ivar's! We are having our pre-cruise, pre-vow renewal Roast and Toast dinner there. They have been SO helpful in planning for our group of 10. And the food sounds wonderful and now we know that it is! Thanks for the info!

Don't mean to hi-jack your post but I've heard great things about Anthony's Pier 66. Can anyone confirm this is a good place for dinner?
It's very good. Note there's a less expensive, more informal place right downstairs, the Bell Street Diner, which many of us actually prefer to "big" Anthony's.

I also do not want to hijack the thread, but since we are talking food...we were considering eating in the needle restaurant. Is it a tourist trap with its only attraction the view or is the food really good? The prices are a bit horrifying, but we've never been to Seattle. :confused:

How far in advance do you need reservations for Matt's?

I also do not want to hijack the thread, but since we are talking food...we were considering eating in the needle restaurant. Is it a tourist trap with its only attraction the view or is the food really good? The prices are a bit horrifying, but we've never been to Seattle. :confused:

The word from the local food critics and foodies about the Space Needle is pretty much what you said--an overpriced tourist trap whose main value is the view (which is spectacular on a clear day). I did have a pretty good Christmas dinner there a few years ago, but it was a set, limited menu. If I were going for a regular meal, I would probably do lunch--less of an investment. If you're careful, you won't spend that much more for a lunch there than you would on a ticket to the observation deck (which is included with lunch) plus a reasonable lunch somewhere else.

Matt's gets MUCH better reviews, if you're more interested in the food than the view (although the one from Matt's is very nice). Not sure about the reservations--you might want to just call them.

We've eaten at the Space Needle restaurant (Sky City) a couple of times in the past year or two (had a nephew on staff, hence a discount.) Personally I think the food is quite good, with some of the dishes (e.g. crab mac 'n cheese) very good indeed. It IS expensive, but when you net out the cost of the elevator (which you don't pay if dining) the remaining price is not terribly high compared to other restaurants. Note there is a minimum, $35 at dinner last time I looked, but the lunch minimum is less ($25 IIRC) and in summer sunset is so late that unless you want to have dinner at 9:30 the view will be the same as at lunch. So splurge - lunch at the Space Needle, dinner someplace around the market like Matt's (or, IMO, an equally nice, but less well-known restaurant, 94 Stewart.)

I'm not a foodie so I'll leave that to the experts, like gardyloo and casgordita. You can also do a search on this forum for past comments.

But .... if you're looking for views, the Space Needle isn't the only place in town. The Columbia Tower or Smith Tower will give you a view of the Needle for an interesting twist. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1406647&highlight=smith

We ate lunch at Sky City Space Needle a month ago on a clear day so the view was good. Since the price of the ride up is included, the price is not so sab. Food was very good and service excellent but we were there at 11:30AM. Make your reservations online in advance to get the time you want. They have you check in 1/2 hour ahead, take you up in the elevator so you are not waiting in line with those only going to the viewing platform.

We too prefer the Bell Street Diner downstairs to the Anthony's upstairs at Pier 66- Anthony's is a little pricey for what you get. The berry cobbler at the Diner is out of this world. Good dessert to split.

Thank you SO much for the wonderful info....Gardyloo, you make a great point...we want to go up into the Space Needle and that will cost us $36 already..might as well get your money's worth and eat. I hear good things about the Bell Street Diner and Pier 66 is where our cruise starts...CANNOT WAIT, so, we might need to check it out. We also considered Salty's, but like you said, some say it's the best thing since sliced bread, others say...stay clear. The view for us will sell us. We have waited years to visit Seattle and I'm sure, wherever we are, we will not be disappointed. Thanks again for the advice and the information. I am so very thankful I found this great place!!!:D

Archived