More Cloud A/C problems

Triviabunny

After the a/c problems on the Cloud t/a to Barbados it looks as though bad luck has struck twice. The a/c has failed again and the Cloud is making haste to Manaus, skipping ports, in the hope that it can be fixed before the next cruise starts.

This must be getting a little expensive for SS, some $400,000 in future cruise credits for the first blip and heard its >$600,000 and counting on the current one.

Thoughts cross my mind, when was the last dry dock, can SS really afford to have postponed the next dry dock to October, and just how much of this is down to bad luck or has the money saving that is going on with staff reductions etc impacted maintenance as well

My guess is that they are missing the talented maintenence personnel that they once had aboard. The difference is today's talent might take 3 days to diagnose a problem where the former would take hours. Huge difference when you need to order proper parts. But hey, the ships run fine all by themselves. The Amazon without A/C sounds like a thrill. Maybe they're trying to get rid of the remaining European crew.

One of the 4 compressors has been down since ~ 4+ days before reaching Barbados. Multiple attempts to repair were attempted with parts ordered and installed. Unfortunately the repair route has been unsuccessful and the Cloud will depart Manaus in a day with a modified itinerary similar to the trip from BGI TO MAO. What will occur next is uncertain.

We have just joined Cloud in Manaus for the 22nd return trip to Barbados. The itinerary has been changed with several ports dropped to enable the ship to get to Barbados 3 days earlier than scheduled to allow time for a repair. Everyone has been offered a full refund and help getting home - or a full refund and the altered trip. Most appear to have accepted the high on-board temperatures and reduced dress code and will accept the full refund as compensation. Seems a fair offer - although we have still to have confirmation that the OBC's will be honoured!

It would be economic sense to dry dock asap and compensate for 1/2 lost cruises rather than compensating every cruise whilst trying to fix a major problem.We have 6 cruises booked on our favourite Cloud in 2012 so would appreciate updates from on board as to whether the problem is solved.

It would be economic sense to dry dock asap and compensate for 1/2 lost cruises rather than compensating every cruise whilst trying to fix a major problem.We have 6 cruises booked on our favourite Cloud in 2012 so would appreciate updates from on board as to whether the problem is solved.

Agreed, just paid my final balance for the return t/a crossing next March, and although it will be a cooler trip, just hope that this isn't going to drag on and on.

Agree with Noggins that the current voyage offer seems fair.

Would be interested in seeing SS putting out a statement that acknowledges the problems and a plan for a permanent fix. All the current drip drip of information must be worrying a number of booked and future guests.

Sailing in the tropics with malfunctioning A/C. Not my idea of a holiday:mad:

Yep, totally concur with philipb:D

When I was on the Cloud last November going through the Panama Canal, I noticed air con probs in my original suite (445). It seems that the poor old Cloud really needs her dry dock.

I luv all things Silversea but the Cloud is at the bottom of my list. I just didn't like her bathrooms and now the air con...:( The Shadow is next for me and then hopefully something on the Wind.

Cheers

Jennifer

Having been on the Cloud when the a/c started to breakdown after 2 days into the crossing I pity those who have decided to stay on. Try dressing for dinner and putting make up on - its just impossible - with the sweat running from one's scalp down one's face and onto the damp evening gown. I bought talcum powder in Antiqua but never felt dry. Not just the passengers but the crew having to work in the galley with all ovens blasting. A huge problem for Silversea with the logistics. Maybe it's time they sold the Cloud, it is looking tired and now a broken old lady. We shall wait a while before booking with our two thousand dollars each credit, we need to see just where Silversea are heading. Service first class but weary ships.

Day 3 and no one seems to be suffering too much. It is not that the a/c does not work - it is just not at full tilt. Suites are fine as are most of the public areas. There are some fans to supplement things too. Dress code is casual / as you want.

As an extra little fillip we had confirmation last night that the on-board credits stand too. They could hardly do more. (and word has it that the repair would have happened in Manaus if the engineers could have got visas quickly enough...)

The crew is the Face of Silversea and they continue to smile and and not utter a complaint about the heat on decks 2 & 3, the galley and laundry. They are working under difficult conditions.

Unlike those of us who departed the Cloud in Manaus perhaps you are not aware that those of us who basically mirrored your changed itinerary between Barbados and Manaus and endured not only the same conditions, but also the anxiety of not knowing if the AC would be fixed - only received a $2500 pp future cruise credit with an expiration date of June 2013.

So congrats to those of you who embarked on Nov. 22!

I don't begrudge the newly embarked Guests their "special treatment" by Silversea, but you now have an opportunity to make a difference and perhaps an incentive to support your crew.

I think it would be nice and certainly appreciated that you consider making a contribution to the Crew Fund to share some of your "lottery winnings" with them.

Archived