Thomson News release

Majesty to replace Destiny in Thomson Cruises' fleet

Mar 06, 2012 09:00AM GMT

comment.png0 Comments

Thomson Cruises is replacing one of the four ships in its fleet this summer as part of the line’s modernisation plans.

Larger and newer vessel Thomson Majesty is coming in this summer in place of the 1982-built Thomson Destiny.

Currently operating as Louis Majesty, the 20-year-old ship is being chartered for an indefinite period from Louis Cruises with Thomson Destiny returning to the Greek firm.

The 1,462-passenger new addition will operate four itineraries originally scheduled for Thomson Destiny from May 4 calling at ports such as Corfu Town, Venice, Sanatorini, Dubrovnik and Split in the Eastern Mediterranean as well as Atlantic islands sailings to Santa Cruz, Funchal, Las Palmas and Agadir in Morocco.

The company said: “Thomson Cruises understands that some customers due to sail on Thomson Destiny in summer 2012 may be disappointed by this news - and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

“But would like to reassure customers that Thomson Majesty is a great addition to the fleet and will give customers a fantastic cruise experience.

“All customers set to travel on Thomson Destiny are being contacted directly by our dedicated customer service team to arrange their transfer to Thomson Majesty.”

Thomson Majesty offers more ocean view cabins, a spa with 17 treatment rooms, and five restaurants.

The line’s managing director Fraser Ellacott said a “significant” number of passengers who had booked Thomson Destiny were being contacted about the switch of ships.

But he said Thomson Majesty, which offers 12 additional berths, had a range of facilities which would appeal to those transferring vessels including more modern cabins, an a la carte restaurant and a couples’ massage room.

“Majesty is a fantastic ship with great onboard facilities, more outside cabins and the same first-rate service you'd expect from Thomson Cruises,” said Ellacott.

Enjoy :D

Going to lengths that customers know it's not new!!! They learned that lesson!

“Majesty is a fantastic ship with great onboard facilities, more outside cabins and the same first-rate service you'd expect from Thomson Cruises,” said Ellacott.

Same service - not same entertainment! Same mistake Thomson - not telling the whole story. The sin of omission! Be prepared for the complaints!!

P.S. No mention of possiblity of refunds either - perhaps a can of worms they's rather not open but they underestimate their customers if they think they're not going to ask the question!

Going to lengths that customers know it's not new!!! They learned that lesson!

Same service - not same entertainment! Same mistake Thomson - not telling the whole story. The sin of omission! Be prepared for the complaints!!

P.S. No mention of possiblity of refunds either - perhaps a can of worms they's rather not open but they underestimate their customers if they think they're not going to ask the question!

Surely the have to offer refunds after all you can hardly spin this other than a major change. The ship is different, the cabins are smaller, the dining is open seating rather than fixed. The shows may well be not what people thought they would be. I will see what happens when my TA contacts me. I wonder how long I should give them as I am not cruising until next February.

For me the cabin is the most important part of the ship, no more noisy singles back by the engines. I booked a starboard midships on Destiny and would expect a cabin at least as good on Majesty. when I booked I told the TA I would not pay the deposit until I had the cabin booked. they were OK about it and phoned Thomson straight away.

Dave..going on past experiences ... I wasn't given much in the way of compensation (£50) OBC also had AI but was told you can have it @ a reduced cost (half price) take it or leave it?

This has happened twice now when they shelved the Island Escape over the last 2 winters.

Dave..going on past experiences ... I wasn't given much in the way of compensation (£50) OBC also had AI but was told you can have it @ a reduced cost (half price) take it or leave it?

This has happened twice now when they shelved the Island Escape over the last 2 winters.

I have a free AI for my Destiny cruise so I will expect the same for Majesty.

In the Thomson cruise brochure under Major changes to your holiday it clearly states that you can

- accept the new arrangements

- accept a replacement holiday of equivalent or closely similar standard....

- cancel and receive a full refund of all monies paid

Our Dave is Famous :D

Cruise Critics own news letter.

-- Thomson Cruises has announced today that it's introducing a ship swap for the forthcoming summer season. The 37,773-ton, 1,450-passenger Thomson Destiny will return to its owner, Louis Cruises, and Thomson will take out a long-term charter of the ship that's currently sailing for Louis as Louis Majesty, which will be renamed Thomson Majesty.

From May this year, the 40,876 ton, 1,462-passenger ship (which NCL fans may remember as the old Norwegian Majesty) will sail exact replicas of Thomson Destiny's summer itineraries: Adriatic Explorer, Pearls of the Aegean, Colourful Coasts and Canarian Flavours.

Exact reasons for the swap have not been given but Thomson Cruises' managing director, Fraser Ellacott, told Cruise Critic: “We've been discussing modernisation of our fleet, and this is the first part of the story. We feel this ship suits our customers both now and in the future.”

Majesty, which is currently laid up in Piraeus, Greece for the winter, is being re-branded with Thomson signage and a lot of the crew from Thomson Destiny are being brought over to the new ship, but there are no immediate plans for refurbishment, Ellacott said.

Thomson Majesty is ten years ‘younger' than Destiny, built in 1992, although while sailing under Louis Cruises, it has scored an average of three stars in Cruise Critic's member reviews, as opposed to Destiny's four. What's bothering members on our message boards is that passengers already booked on Destiny are being transferred between two ships on which the cabin grades don't match exactly. Member Davecttr's comment is typical of the concern being expressed: “I have a midships inside booked and reserved on Destiny for next winter so will be expecting a call from my travel agent about transferring the booking. If I don't get a cabin to my satisfaction I will not be pleased.”

No compensation is being offered to passengers affected, Ellacott said, as the ship change is a straight swap.

There could even be benefits. Thomson Majesty has more outside cabins than Destiny, as well as an a la carte restaurant, Le Bistro, and a larger spa.

But Thomson Cruises will no doubt be careful about using the word ‘new' when describing its recent acquisition; there were many misunderstandings in 2010 when Thomson Dream joined the fleet and passengers were disappointed not to find a brand new ship.

Our Dave is Famous :D

Cruise Critics own news letter.

I am famous

:D:D:D

must sit down

I can understand the reasoning behind no compensation but surely Thomson have to offer money back if you just don't want to cruise on Majesty and would not have booked that ship.

Whatever spin Thomson put on it, The Majesty is basically a different ship designed for a different market and seems to have difficulty in matching existing Thomson cruisers expectations.

I hope Thomson are reading this as how they handle this situation for me will have an enormous impact on how many of their cruises I take in the future. Sadly I am now looking for an alternative for next winter and note that P&O have just doubled their Caribbean capacity. Plus I know I can get a cabin of choice :)

As, logically, they are dealing with customers on a cruise date basis it seems I will have a considerable time to wait before they get to next February.

From what i can gather Majesty would be better suited to Island cruises offering a completely casual no waiter experience?

From what i can gather Majesty would be better suited to Island cruises offering a completely casual no waiter experience?

Perhaps this is part of the bigger plan?

Have they another ship ligned up next year? leave the Island Escape alone this year and replace the Island Escape next year with the "Majesty" and have another ship come in next year to take on "Majestys" work..clear as mud :D

Complete Upgrade ;) or is that to complicated.

I rang Thomson and they told me no they wouldn't be refunding deposits. This is a disgrace! How do you know that when you book a holiday with them you are actually going to get what you booked?

I don't want to go on the Majesty thank you. We booked the Destiny for a special anniversary and if we can't go on that one will choose something/where else!

it doesn't matter that that they say the Majesty is better. if I had booked and old jalopy for my daughters wedding because that's what she wanted and was then told sorry that's unavailable because it's broken down but we'll give you a Rolls Royce instead, I would expect to be able to say no thank you I'll have my money back! And get it !

I rang Thomson and they told me no they wouldn't be refunding deposits. This is a disgrace! How do you know that when you book a holiday with them you are actually going to get what you booked?

I don't want to go on the Majesty thank you. We booked the Destiny for a special anniversary and if we can't go on that one will choose something/where else!

it doesn't matter that that they say the Majesty is better. if I had booked and old jalopy for my daughters wedding because that's what she wanted and was then told sorry that's unavailable because it's broken down but we'll give you a Rolls Royce instead, I would expect to be able to say no thank you I'll have my money back! And get it !

Well, if that turns out to be true it will be typical of Thomson HQ's total indifference to the needs of their customers.

'We have got your deposit so you can S** Off'

I too have been told there will be no refund or any type of compensation as the new ship is classed as a minor change !!!

well I for one will fight this all the way . we booked the holiday for my 40th birthday its cost over £1000 each we pre booked a cabin so we could get it just where we wanted and now I have no idea where we will be . over all Thompson have spoilt any excitment I had for this holiday I will not book with them again

It is not a minor change! I too intend to fight this and I think the more public it becomes,the more people will protest.

Some people will be happy with the change but I am not!

Some people picked this holiday for a special reason!

What I will be losing out on is a suite on the Eagle Deck with 25sq and a balcony in exchange for - at best - 23 sqm and a bay window and less privacy - because the Destiny's 9th Deck only had something like 10 cabins.

Ive been told - off the record [ so how true this i we dont know ] that I will be offered either

Full refund - which flies in face of things posters have been saying OR

Equivelent Holiday - Yeah? in little under 3 months time?

Reduction in final balance - ok, how much? I would want the difference between what I was going to pay [ about £2700] and what the cost is in the new cabin so, if that would cost £2000 then I want £700 and not some measly gesture.Time for negotiations.

In the meantime the Thomson shop have suggested I pay the final invoice - they would say that wouldn't they? and wait and see what I'm offered...in my opinion that could be construed as giving approval to the switch.

I'm due to pay on Friday 9th so there's 48 hours to see if they can make me a reasonable offer in compensation, otherwise we're into a whole new ball game thats not going to be compensated for "open dining".

Archived