Carnival Freedom July 8 Review (unscheduled stop @ Cozumel) Time-Lapse Camera & more

BigZfan

Our 10th Anniversary Cruise Review

Carnival Freedom July 8 – 14

Miami/Key West July 14 - 16

Key West, FL; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Ocho Rios, Jamaica = Cancelled due to broken Generator, Cozumel, Mexico = instead of Jamaica (too bad we have already been there twice…but we put on our happy faces)

Link to the Time-Lapse camera view from the aft balcony 7444 =

If you look at the Time-Lapse video you can see that the ship sways A LOT more right after we leave Grand Cayman…they announced the generator broke right before we left Grand Cayman. This starts to happen at 4 minutes and 10 seconds in the video.

Link to some of our best pictures with background music

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/8/12 Link to photos from 7/8/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106442332836009.13228.100004107282839&type=3&l=c1d0e41356

We explored the ship and found the fish and chip restaurant. I had fried octopus, it was great - went back for seconds. We unpacked but Mr. BigZfan’s suit case was really late so he almost had to go to the steakhouse in his shorts and t-shirt but it arrived just in time. The steakhouse was amazing. I had the Grilled Portobello Mushroom, Classic Caesar salad, Broiled Filet Mignon, and the Chocolate Sampler. Mr. BigZfan had New England Crab Cake, Classic Caesar salad, Broiled New York Strip Loin Steak, and the Chocolate Sampler. Bought my souvenir spoon from the ship store, so that I got that out of the way. Only negative thing was that our neighbors kept their light on their balcony all night even though they were not out there. They were the only ones with the light on while the rest of us were star gazing. Losers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/9/12 Link to photos from 7/9/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106445922835650.13239.100004107282839&type=3&l=525fd7b934

Key West = We walked to the southern most point of the continental US. Then we went to Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville and had conch fritters and conch soup. Then we walked to mile marker 0 on route 1. Finally we had Pirates punch at Captain Tony's. When we got back to the ship Mr. BigZfan tried to win a ship on a stick by playing name that tune and artist 80s version. He lost, but had fun. For dinner he had steak, scallops, mussels, and pasta. I had stuffed peppers and Sicilian chicken. Then we both had chocolate melting cake. Wow, that was wonderful.

Link to a pier runner in Key West

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/10/12 Link to photos from 7/10/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106453266168249.13262.100004107282839&type=3&l=4b00d07bca

Today was a fun day at sea…no port of call. I started the day off with room service at 6am so I could sit on the balcony and eat breakfast and watch the sunrise and the ocean. Mr. BigZfan didn’t want to get up so it was just me. It was very peaceful. I had the whole pot of coffee and he still wasn’t up so I opened up the champagne and started making mimosas…it was a good morning. We went to the Fish and Chips restaurant on deck 10 and had fried oysters. Then Mr. BigZfan took a nap. I read a book. It was elegant night so he wore a tux and I wore a gown for dinner and he had lobster and shrimp. I had pasta and steak. We also tried the alligator fritters…surprisingly good. I tried to convince Mr. BigZfan to go to the bow of the ship and put our arms out like we were flying but he looked like he was going to push me overboard…We went to the Lido deck and watched the all-star game on the big screen. They turned it off in the bottom of the 9th inning so we had to run to the sports bar to see the end. GO NL!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/11/12 Link to photos from 7/11/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106454822834760.13264.100004107282839&type=3&l=a18426d6fb

Grand Cayman = Today we played with stingrays. We got to pet them and then they gave us kisses. Then one gave me a back massage. Mr. BigZfan got to feed one. These stingrays were about three feet in diameter. Then we snorkeled for about an hour. We bought some rum cake and drank some shots at Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. I wanted to go down their waterslide but we didn’t have enough time. Plus I figured the Margaritaville’s waterslide in Jamaica goes into the ocean. So I could do that tomorrow.

Boy was I wrong. We were looking forward to Jamaica but one of the generators broke and the ship was cruising too slow to make it and have enough time in port and then also make it back to Florida in time for most people to make their flights. So we headed to Cozumel instead. I wouldn’t have been as upset if I hadn’t already been to Cozumel twice. Nor would I have been upset if we were changing plans due to weather. But the ship broke. I’m not going to lie, that bummed me out. I put on my happy face, but man, the ship broke. I am used to sitting on the side of the road throwing ice on my overheating engine. I saved for years for this trip and the ship broke. I know it happens but the only reason I had gone to Cozumel twice before was because my brother has a time-share and I got to tag along, not because I’m rich. I really don’t see Jamaica in my future. Maybe it will happen, but I doubt it. I have a few more years of camping and saving before I could even think about cruising again. I know I will get flamed for not being 100% happy about the change, but I did put on my happy face and found something to do in Cozumel that we never did before. But I see no reason to lie and say how happy I was and pretend that I would rather see Cozumel then Jamaica.

If you look at the Time-Lapse video we posted you can see that the ship sways A LOT more right after we leave Grand Cayman…they announced the generator broke right before we left Grand Cayman. This starts at 4 minutes and 10 seconds in the Time-Lapse video.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/12/12 Link to photos from 7/12/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106457862834456.13270.100004107282839&type=3&l=240de6492a

We were the 3rd and 4th person off the ship this afternoon and we raced to the excursion center, but we were the fourth cruise ship to dock including the Oasis of the Sea, which is a huge ship. Therefore the Xrail was already totally booked—It was not offered via Carnival the night before and the excursion desk on the ship. However the people at the Xrail pointed us to another excursion center that had go-carts on steroids. We rode these around the island with two other couples, along with a tour guide. These were not off road carts. We were on main roads with 90 KM/PH. Our parents never would have allowed this—we are 34/37 years old. Don’t worry I have video so they can yell at us later. It was scary and fun at the same time. I wouldn’t drive in an actual car on Mexican roads, what were we thinking driving in a go-cart / dune buggy hybrid? I was actually thinking, what happens if we don’t get on the ship? Who would ever know what happened to us? No one knows what tour we took? Hell most people think we are in Jamaica. We went to see some Mayan ruins, then we went to a tequila museum, then we went snorkeling at two different beaches. I would say we drove around 1/2 of the island.

After we returned to the ship we dressed up in our tux and gown for the second elegant night and enjoyed a great dinner even though over half of the MDR was empty. Don’t know if they ate in Cozumel, on the Lido, or if the ship was just too rocky for them. But the service was great.

7/13/12 Link to photos from 7/13/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106460749500834.13282.100004107282839&type=3&l=bf82f55475

This was our actual 10th anniversary. It was a fun day at sea. We relaxed and played some of the trivia games but we never won a ship on a stick. We even went down the waterslide a few times just so we could say that we went down a waterslide in the middle of the ocean. After dinner we enjoyed the musical Ticket to Ride.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/14/12 Link to photos from 7/14/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106461802834062.13290.100004107282839&type=3&l=c78d575a1a

Disembarking was a breeze. We put our 3 suitcases out the night before and ate breakfast in the Posh dining room while we waited from them to announce #8.

After we were off the ship we took a taxi to Thrifty Car rental and rented a convertible mustang since we were not flying home until Tuesday 7/17/12. We then drove to Miami and found a McDonalds and got some coffee and used their free Wi-Fi and we went to Priceline to get a hotel room for the night. We did a name your own price and got a 3 ½ star hotel neat Miami Airport for $54. We also got a 2 ½ star hotel room in Key West for the next night for $70. After that we went to a Miami Marlins game. The new park is really amazing. It isn’t nearly as gaudy as it appears on T.V. It is like a baseball game happening in the middle of a huge party. Plus the outside of the Park really does look like it was designed after a cruise ship, and the inside has the same feeling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/15/12 Link to photos from 7/15/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106463962833846.13295.100004107282839&type=3&l=7907446260

We attended another Miami Marlins game in the afternoon, and then we drove down route 1 to Key West with the convertible top down. What fun!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/16/12Link to photos from 7/16/12 = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106465836166992.13301.100004107282839&type=3&l=03ebae0c7a

We got on a 10 passenger sea plan in Key West and it took us to Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas National Park. It was awesome. I saw 8 sharks, 3 sea turtles, 3 sunken ships all from about 500 to 900 feet up in the air. What a great view.

Link to the Sea Plane taking off from Key West going to Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas

Link to the Sea Plane landing at Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas

Link to the Sea Plan taking off from Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas going back to Key West

Then we drove back up route 1 to Miami to watch another Miami Marlins game because my favorite player, Carlos Zambrano AKA Big Z, was pitching. He got the win!!! After the game we were walking around the park and guess who walks out of the park with a bunch of camera crew from the Showtime’s show The Franchise? That’s right…Big Z. Guess who has an autographed Jersey? I do!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Packing List for Florida Keys and Jamaica – Everything fit in 3 suitcases all 35 pounds or less, and two backpacks. If I didn’t bring the two formal gowns & shoes everything would have fit in two suitcases well under the 50 pound limit. But since this was our 10th anniversary we went all out.

General

Airline tickets (2)

Baja Bob’s Powdered Daiquiri mix (4)

Carnival cruise documents (2 sets)

Clothes pins (4) (to hang up wet swimsuits)

Contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards (2 copies)

Digital Camera (2)

Disposable rain ponchos (2)

Extra AA batteries for the cameras and battery chargers (4)

Highlighters (2)

Insulated large coffee mugs (2)

Kindle Fire (2)

Laptop (1)

LL. Bean travel bags (2) (to hold souvenirs we buy in port)

Memory Cards for the Camera’s (16- 1 per day, per camera just in case something happens to the camera we don’t lose the pictures)

Miami Marlins game tickets

Night-light / battery powered tea candles (2)

Passports (2)

Pens (2)

Phone (2)

Portable fan – 5 inch (1)

Post-its (1)

Power strip (1)

Purex 3-in-1 laundry detergent strips (2 – in case of emergency and we have to do laundry, plus keeps clothes smelling fresh if you just place them in the drawer)

Reusable water bottles (2)

Rum runners (2) (empty – to be used to mix Bon Voyage rum with Baja Bob’s Powdered Daiquiri mix and water. Easier to pack then a larger container/pitcher. We did not smuggle – but these are great space savers in luggage)

Snorkels (2)

Travel Clock (1)

Wallet (2) (driver’s license, medical insurance cards, credit cards, cash…)

Watch (2)

Zip loc bags of all sizes and garbage/laundry bags (15)

The Mrs. BigZfan

Short sleeve shirts (3) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Tank Top (2) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Marlins Jersey to wear to the baseball games

Shorts (2)

Formal dress (2)

Nice dresses (3)

Scottevest (1)

Formal shoes (2)

Water shoes (1)

Fancy shoes (2)

Regular crocs (1 or 2)

Swimsuits (2)

Swimsuit cover up (1)

Nightgowns (2)

Underwear (10)

Bras (3)

LL Bean hanging travel toiletry bag (1 – all travel size items)

a. Shampoo

b. Conditioner

c. Toothpaste/Toothbrush

d. Brush

e. Hair bands and clips

f. Sunscreen

g. Bug Spray

h. Make-up

i. Medications

j. Sunglasses

k. Glasses

l. Contacts / Solution

m. Ear plugs

n. Small first aid kit

o. Hand sanitizer

p. Blister spray

q. Deodorant

r. Razor

The Mr. BigZfan

Short sleeve shirts (3) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Tank Top (2) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Zambrano Jersey to wear to the baseball games

Shorts (2)

Formal outfit (rent a Tux)

Nice outfits to wear to dinner (3) (polo shirt/dress pants)

Dress shoes to go with the formal and nice dinner outfits (1)

Regular Shoes (1)

Water shoes (1)

Scottevest (1)

Swim trunks (2)

P.J’s (2)

Socks (5)

Underwear (10)

LL Bean hanging travel toiletry bag (1 – all travel size items)

a. Shampoo

b. Conditioner

c. Toothpaste/Toothbrush

d. Brush

e. Hair Gel

f. Sunscreen

g. Bug Spray

h. Medications

i. Sunglasses

j. Glasses

k. Contacts / Solution

l. Ear plugs

m. Deodorant

n. Razor

Happy anniversary and thanks for the review! Any chance you still have your fun times and plan on posting them? Who was your cd and did you like him?

Our cruise director was Brad and we liked him. I have all of the fun times and I plan on scanning them into the computer and posting them either tonight or tomorrow.

Only negative thing was that our neighbors kept their light on their balcony all night even though they were not out there. They were the only ones with the light on while the rest of us were star gazing. Losers.

QQuestion about the light on the balcony. On our last cruise, I told our room ssteward our light was broken because it wouldn't come on and was told that no balcony lights work at night to not interfere with the captain/navigating, something I didn't totally understand and the steward's English was not that great. But I did understand that nothing was broken. Sure enough, once we were docked, I flipped the switch and the light came on. So is it possible to have a balcony light on while the ship is cruising at night?

I scanned in the FunTimes and added the pictures into daily albums for those that are interested. You do not need a Facebook page to view these pictures. I just find adding them this way much easier for me.

Sunday July 8 (Ft. Lauderdale)= http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106442332836009.13228.100004107282839&type=1&l=c1d0e41356

Monday July 9 (Key West)= http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106445922835650.13239.100004107282839&type=1&l=525fd7b934

Tuesday July 10 (Sea Day) = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106453266168249.13262.100004107282839&type=1&l=4b00d07bca

Wednesday July 11 (Grand Cayman)= http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106454822834760.13264.100004107282839&type=1&l=a18426d6fb

Thursday July 12 (Cozumel) = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106457862834456.13270.100004107282839&type=1&l=240de6492a

Friday July 13 (Sea Day) = http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106460749500834.13282.100004107282839&type=1&l=bf82f55475

QQuestion about the light on the balcony. On our last cruise, I told our room ssteward our light was broken because it wouldn't come on and was told that no balcony lights work at night to not interfere with the captain/navigating, something I didn't totally understand and the steward's English was not that great. But I did understand that nothing was broken. Sure enough, once we were docked, I flipped the switch and the light came on. So is it possible to have a balcony light on while the ship is cruising at night?

My understanding is it all depends on where your balcony is located and the captain of the ship. We had an Aft balcony and the lights worked all the time. I wouldn't have minded so much if our neighbors had their light on at night if they were outside reading or something. But they were no where in sight. They just left the light on and left. We did catch our Steward the second day and they turned it off and talked to the neighbors. They were a bunch a teens that were very loud and drunk when they were around, mainly around 3am. I was glad I brought earplugs so I could sleep. I didn't let them ruin my trip. I did hear the people below them complaining that they were always getting cigerette butts thrown on them, so I did feel bad for them. But after that first day their light was off when they were gone and I had my ear plugs so they weren't a bother for me. I would suggest packing ear plugs just in case....they don't take up a lot of room and can be useful.

My understanding is it all depends on where your balcony is located and the captain of the ship. We had an Aft balcony and the lights worked all the time. .

Oh, that makes total sense and now I understand what the steward was telling me. Thanks for the clarification.

I was just reading another thread "Freedom Engine Trouble" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1671428 and found out that they were having problems on the 6/30 sailing of the Freedom. This really irks me. They were having issues with the engines and problems with cruising speed weeks before our sailing and didn't fix the problem. We missed Jamaica because of a broken ship that they knew about and didn't fix. This really irks me. We didn't miss Jamaica because of Mother Nature, or even of an unknown issue. I was bummed before, but now...

we sail on the freedom august 11th and i am so nervous reading about the "engine trouble" that there's going to be problems with our sailling. im not mentally prepared to deal with an itinerary change after all the planning ive done.

i know we'll have fun regardless, but i chose this cruise because i've never been to any of the ports....

i too have already been to cozumel, so if that was me i'd definitely be very upset!

Archived