Coral Princess Southbound retuned June 19, 2013 --any questions?

world_traveler_et

Thank you to all who answered my questions prior to sailing. We had a an fabulus time and the weather was perfect!

This is what we did:

1. Pre-cruise --We stayed at the Captain Cook Hotel and used the princess transfers to the hotel and to Whittier. Walked around the city and dined at the Glacier Brewhouse for dinner. The ribeye was excellent as was the Halibut special.
  2. Hubbard Bay (cruising)--due to fog & a large amount of ice in the water we were unable to get very close to this glacier.
  3. Glacier Bay (cruising)--spent most of the day out on the top deck taking pictures and videos.
  4. Skagway--Chilkoot Charter & tours booked their Scenic Bennett Journey. Had a great time and would highly recommend this company. Our train consisted of four rail cars and we returned in a small van that held around twenty people. The advantage was that we were able to pull over when ever we saw any wild life or water falls. The cruise ship used large buses and there was no room in some places for the buses to stop do to there size.
  5. Juneau--Booked the Pilot's Choice double helicopter landing with Temsco. This was the only excursion booked through Princess. After we returned we took the "blue" bus for $8.00 each way to the Mendanhall glacier and walked to the falls and than went to the visitor's center.
  6. Ketchikan--We booked a float plane ride to the Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. This was another fabulous excursion.

I went through four SD cards and brought two cameras--a Canon Rebel 4ti and a Panasonic Lumix TS3 point and shoot camera. I would suggest bringing an extra set of batteries for each camera you bring and keeping them charged every night.

If you have any questions--- I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Did ou have an inside or balcony/outside cabin? We've done the balcony cabin in the past, but would like opinions on doing an inside cabin. (to save money! now that we are on a fixed income!)

Thanks in advance

T.R.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Did ou have an inside or balcony/outside cabin? We've done the balcony cabin in the past, but would like opinions on doing an inside cabin. (to save money! now that we are on a fixed income!)

Thanks in advance

T.R.

TR,

We had booked cabin D214 which was a balcony cabin on the port side towards the front section of the ship. This cabin was a fully covered cabin and would have been useful if it was raining during our cruise. It was nice to be able to look out our balcony as we were getting dressed for breakfast and dinner.

It was nice to have a balcony but if the extra expense would prevent you from taking the trip or some of the excursions I would go with an inside cabin. I have previously stayed in balcony cabins, ocean view cabins and an inside cabin. If it is important to you to have a dark room in order to sleep I would go with an inside cabin. On our trip the sun only set for a few hours each day.

You will enjoy your trip to Alaska no matter what cabin you book have fun!

Glad you had a great time.

Did you have a favorite port?

Keith

Hi Keith,

That's a tough one to answer. I really enjoyed the scenery on the scenic Bennett journey which was an 8 hour excursion via the white rail & a van, but we only had a little time to visit the city.

I would have to say Juneau was our favorite port in terms of our excursions. We were able to land on two glaciers and than spend some time walking to the falls. We didn't have a lot of time to explore the city because we were only in the port until 4PM.

If shopping for gifts was a priority than I would have to say Ketchikan. I found some great pricing in Anchorage before we sailed on our cruise and as well ask in Ketchikan. I thought Alaska didn't have a sales tax but there was a city tax in Ketchikan. I don't recall this being the case in Anchorage but I wasn't paying attention at that time.

Thanks

We did Alaska in 2012, Radiance OTS, with an aft balcony. We would like to do Alaska again, but now we are retired, and have contemplated trying to book closer to sailing date. Hoping this would save us $$, but we would most likely have an inside cabin.

Thanks

T.R.

Monarch OTS '98'

Mercury '00'

Grandeur OTS '02'

Majesty OTS '03'

Jewel OTS '05'

Radiance OTS '12'

Thank you to all who answered my questions prior to sailing. We had a an fabulus time and the weather was perfect!

This is what we did:

1. Pre-cruise --We stayed at the Captain Cook Hotel and used the princess transfers to the hotel and to Whittier. Walked around the city and dined at the Glacier Brewhouse for dinner. The ribeye was excellent as was the Halibut special.
  2. Hubbard Bay (cruising)--due to fog & a large amount of ice in the water we were unable to get very close to this glacier.
  3. Glacier Bay (cruising)--spent most of the day out on the top deck taking pictures and videos.
  4. Skagway--Chilkoot Charter & tours booked their Scenic Bennett Journey. Had a great time and would highly recommend this company. Our train consisted of four rail cars and we returned in a small van that held around twenty people. The advantage was that we were able to pull over when ever we saw any wild life or water falls. The cruise ship used large buses and there was no room in some places for the buses to stop do to there size.
  5. Juneau--Booked the Pilot's Choice double helicopter landing with Temsco. This was the only excursion booked through Princess. After we returned we took the "blue" bus for $8.00 each way to the Mendanhall glacier and walked to the falls and than went to the visitor's center.
  6. Ketchikan--We booked a float plane ride to the Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. This was another fabulous excursion.

I went through four SD cards and brought two cameras--a Canon Rebel 4ti and a Panasonic Lumix TS3 point and shoot camera. I would suggest bringing an extra set of batteries for each camera you bring and keeping them charged every night.

If you have any questions--- I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Sounds like you had a great time. We are leaving in a couple of weeks on the Coral and was wondering what time muster was held on the first day with sailaway at 8:30. We have personal choice dining and are trying to figure out what time to have dinner. Also, what time is the show on the first night? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a good trip. Looking forward to my turn. Do you know if the laundry rooms were open? We have heard some ships did not open them.

Thanks

I am an over packer so I didn't need to use the laundry. The Coral Princess does have laundries towards the aft decks and yes they were open.

How were the temps when you were there? Leaving this week and land portion temp look really hot - but was wondering what the temps where like on the ship?

We were on the cruise when it was in the mid eighties. We were never hot within the ship. We did need jackets in the early morning because it was some what windy & chilly. The outdoor pools were heated to around 80-87 degrees depending on what pool you were swimming in on the ship. The indoor pool was nice as well and you didn't have to worry about the outside air temperatures. I am glad we took the advice of others to bring layers. We brought shorts and used them on several days.

Sounds like you had a great time. We are leaving in a couple of weeks on the Coral and was wondering what time muster was held on the first day with sailaway at 8:30. We have personal choice dining and are trying to figure out what time to have dinner. Also, what time is the show on the first night? Thanks for your help.

MAT,

I just checked my Princess Patter for our cruise and the muster drill was held at 7:45PM and our sail away was at 8:30PM from Whittier.

We had traditional dining and choose the second seating (7:45PM each night) for our cruise. The traditional dining room for the cruise was the Provence dining room. The anytime dining room was the Bordeaux dining room on deck five.

As we boarded the ship on the first day we were handed a slip of paper that told us what time and where we would eat because of the Muster drill. We were among the first passengers to board the ship and our dinner was scheduled for 5:30PM. I know some other passenger who selected anytime dining and boarded when we did and they also received a slip of paper for the Bordeaux dining room with the same 5:30PM dining time. Sabatini's was closed for the day. The Bayou Cafe was open from 1PM to 9:30PM. The buffet was open for dinner from 5:30PM-11PM. The Grill and Pizzeria were open until 9:30PM.

We never ate in Sabitini's or the Bayou Cafe--we found the food and service in the main dining room to be good.

I hope this helps with your planning. Enjoy your cruise!

Welcome Home

Glad you had a wonderful Alaskan cruise.

Sorry that you had fog and ice and missed Hubbard Glacier.

We have eaten at the Glacier Brewhouse a few times when we have been in Anchorage. Great food every time.

I selected the Coral Princess just for the fact that we were cruising past to main glacier areas and this would ensure that we would see at least one of the glaciers. Although we didn't get that close in Hubbard Bay it was still neat to see all the ice and ice chunks floating in the water. The fog made for some neat pictures.

I am an over packer so I didn't need to use the laundry. The Coral Princess does have laundries towards the aft decks and yes they were open.

Thanks 3 weeks would be hard to pack for.

MAT,

I just checked my Princess Patter for our cruise and the muster drill was held at 7:45PM and our sail away was at 8:30PM from Whittier.

We had traditional dining and choose the second seating (7:45PM each night) for our cruise. The traditional dining room for the cruise was the Provence dining room. The anytime dining room was the Bordeaux dining room on deck five.

As we boarded the ship on the first day we were handed a slip of paper that told us what time and where we would eat because of the Muster drill. We were among the first passengers to board the ship and our dinner was scheduled for 5:30PM. I know some other passenger who selected anytime dining and boarded when we did and they also received a slip of paper for the Bordeaux dining room with the same 5:30PM dining time. Sabatini's was closed for the day. The Bayou Cafe was open from 1PM to 9:30PM. The buffet was open for dinner from 5:30PM-11PM. The Grill and Pizzeria were open until 9:30PM.

We never ate in Sabitini's or the Bayou Cafe--we found the food and service in the main dining room to be good.

I hope this helps with your planning. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, that's a help. We are supposed to be on the ship by lunchtime so we'll see what time we are given for dinner.

MAT

These were some of the movies that were being show on board during our cruise: Life of Pi, Les Miserables, Skyfall, Safe Haven, Back to the future, Oz The Great and Powerful, Identity Theif, Lionel Richie (live in Paris)-concert, Silent movie-Gold Rush, Jack Reacher, and Silent movie-Metropolis.

The silent movies are shown pool side while we were in port. Princess can show movies while we are in port but because of sound ordinances they are unable to broadcast with sound.

These were some of the movies that were being show on board during our cruise: Life of Pi, Les Miserables, Skyfall, Safe Haven, Back to the future, Oz The Great and Powerful, Identity Theif, Lionel Richie (live in Paris)-concert, Silent movie-Gold Rush, Jack Reacher, and Silent movie-Metropolis.

The silent movies are shown pool side while we were in port. Princess can show movies while we are in port but because of sound ordinances they are unable to broadcast with sound.

Thanks for sharing your experiences & we sail the Coral in less than 3 weeks roundtrip 14 days from Vancouver in an inside cabin. Hopefully we'll get good views of College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier & Glacier Bay. :)

Do you know if they offered the wine package? We're hopeful but based on input from others it may not be available on 7 day cruises.

Did you bring wine onboard? If so were they enforcing their recent policy changes by allowing 1 free bottle per person in cabins & $15/bottle for additional bottles to be consumed anywhere onboard?

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experiences & we sail the Coral in less than 3 weeks roundtrip 14 days from Vancouver in an inside cabin. Hopefully we'll get good views of College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier & Glacier Bay. :)

Do you know if they offered the wine package? We're hopeful but based on input from others it may not be available on 7 day cruises.

Did you bring wine onboard? If so were they enforcing their recent policy changes by allowing 1 free bottle per person in cabins & $15/bottle for additional bottles to be consumed anywhere onboard?

Thanks!

Astro Flyer,

This is one area I don't have the answer for but perhaps you can post it on the Princess site and others will be able to answer this question.

I am an over packer and didn't have room in my luggage for any bottles of wine. In Anchorage we could have purchased some bottles of wine at a liquor store across from our hotel (Captain Cook). I am not a big wine drinker but I did buy the Ultimate soda and more package offered on the ship. The other person in our party did buy two bottles of pinot noir in the main dining room. Any wine that was remaining in the bottle can be re-corked and served at the next meal, or brought to another bar on the ship.

Astro Flyer,

This is one area I don't have the answer for but perhaps you can post it on the Princess site and others will be able to answer this question.

I am an over packer and didn't have room in my luggage for any bottles of wine. In Anchorage we could have purchased some bottles of wine at a liquor store across from our hotel (Captain Cook). I am not a big wine drinker but I did buy the Ultimate soda and more package offered on the ship. The other person in our party did buy two bottles of pinot noir in the main dining room. Any wine that was remaining in the bottle can be re-corked and served at the next meal, or brought to another bar on the ship.

Thanks for replying & for your suggestion...there's a Coral discussion on the Princess board & I'll check again for info & ask if none is available.

We are on the Coral Princess next May so thanks for your overview. I am just starting to research excursions so your frecap gives me an idea. Hope we picked a good time to go - May 24.

Maragret,

You will have a great time visiting Alaska! If you want to see more snow capped mountains and more water falls I have heard doing this earlier in the season is better. If you want to see more bears I have heard later in the season is better for that type of viewing.

I am not sure which cruise line you will be using but I would make sure that your ship is visiting Glacier Bay. Our trip included both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Bay so if the viewing was bad for one day hopefully the next day would be better.

You have plenty of time to book independent shore excursions. I booked my tours in Ketchikan and in Skagway six months in advance to make sure I was able to book the excursion with the companies that I wanted. The helicopter excursion was booked two weeks before we sailed on our cruise. This was the only excursion booked through Princess.

Enjoy your planning and of course enjoy your cruise next year!

Let me say-- the Princess transfers worked like clock work and I would purchase them for future cruises.

Transfers from the airport to the hotel and to the Pier:

We met a Rep from Princess at the base of the escalators prior to entering the baggage claim area. She instructed us retrieve our luggage and bring it a short distance to a check in desk. At the desk we were given luggage for our Hotel (Captain Cook) to put on our bags. Travelers cruising on HAL were also using the same check in desk but their luggage tags were for another hotel.

The next time we saw our luggage was inside of our rooms at the hotel. Since the Captain Cook Hotel is not owned by Princess we had to wait until 3PM for the hotel's check in time in order to obtain our room keys.

You could store your hand luggage with the Bellman until check in time. At 3PM you received a package with your room keys and instructions for the next day. Basically, you were instructed to put your uggage tags for the cruise on your luggage and have the bags ready by 8AM. The Princess Reps would pick up your bags inside your room and the next time you see your luggage is inside your stateroom on the ship.

The bus ride took around 90 minutes. For best views on the coach/bus sit on the right hand side. We were among the first to arrive on the ship. The check in process went very quickly and we were on board the ship in fifteen minutes.

Transfers from the ship to the airport:

For those of you who haven't cruised before--your luggage needs to be prepared and outside your cabin door by 9PM the last night of the cruise.

After we disembarked in Vancouver our luggage was waiting for us at the airport. We just had to retrieve our luggage from the secure area and head to the check in desk. The luggage carts were free to use at this airport. The check in desk was kind of strange. There was no place to weigh the luggage. After you received your luggage tags for the flight you than took your bags to another area to scan for security. This was the last time you saw your luggage until you arrived to your finial destination. Than you cleared US Customs prior to boarding your flight.

Archived