paying it forward--review of northbound cruise 6/28-7/5 and DIY land 7/5-7/13

allisons

I am paying it forward. Everyone on this board was so helpful to me in planning our Alaska vacation over the course of the last year. I will review our trip in detail. I hope this information will be helpful to others.

Caveat: I have never written a cruise review before. This was our 21st cruise, and I'm not going to start now. I will not include any reviews of the cruise aspects of the vacation. However, I will review what we did in the various ports.

PRE-CRUISE:

Vancouver:

Hotel Moda – C - got a good rate on Hotwire, good location, good restaurant, clean, small room, small bed, small bathroom, no view

Downtown - hop-on-hop-off bus - C - bought a Groupon, not much to see in downtown Vancouver, busses are not double deckers, tour is pre-recorded

Stanley Park – hop-on-hop-off bus - B - included with the downtown loop, good driver/guide, good tour, good information, good stops

Granville Island - hopped off of the bus, walked to Granville Island market, hopped back on the bus - B - lovely market, interesting area, had planned to purchase food and picnic but the timing didn't work out, would like to do that in the future

Dinner – Hotel Moda Cibo Trattoria - A - we were surprised at how good it was, nice wine selection, good Canadian wines, delicious food, perfectly cooked fish, good service

Breakfast – Tim Horton’s - A - good food, healthy options, nice selection of hot teas, good donut with maple frosting, not as good as Krispy Kreme

Chinatown gardens - both public and paid - A - beautiful gardens, we took the guided tour, very interesting, our favorite thing in Vancouver, would do this again

CRUISE:

Ketchikan:

7:30-9:30 a.m. Taquan Air Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing Tour - A+ - exceeded our expectations, amazing experience, wonderful pilot, wonderful tour, breathtaking scenery, perfect take off, perfect landing, perfect flying weather, highly recommend

Self-guided walking tour of downtown Ketchikan (pick up at Visitor Center) - B - if you have some extra time, would like to see the town, and are walkers, this is a good option

11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show - B - good to do once while in Alaska, more scripted and hokey than I expected, interesting to watch and learn, only worth doing if you have the time and there isn't something better to do

Lunch – Alaska Fish House & Fat Stan's - A - we ordered our lunch and had it delivered to us at the bar, delicious food (fish and chips, chowder, corn bread), best Bloody Mary ever (house specialty), good selection of Alaskan beers, friendly bartender, fun environment

Icy Strait Point:

10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Teckk Outfitters Bear Viewing/Nature/Wildlife Tour - F - our biggest disappointment of the vacation, pictures on their website show people walking through the woods with the guide viewing bears, instead the guide drove us in a van on a road through the woods and back, we never got out and walked, we saw no bears, the van died during our rest stop, the driver had no tools, the radio did not work, I don't know what he would have done if it were not for the other customers (a farmer and a small airplane mechanic) fixing the battery and getting the van running again

Lunch – Grandma Nina’s Coffee Shop - B - good food, quick and convenient

2:00-5:00 p.m. Hoonah Travel Adventures Whale Watch Tour - A - good tour, good boat, good captain, saw many whales, Paul is experienced and knowledgeable, we got a little bit sick of hearing Paul talk about how great he is and all of his accomplishments, but this was amusing and did not diminish our experience on a great tour

Juneau:

Self-guided walking tour of downtown Juneau (pick up at Visitor Center) - B - if you have some extra time, would like to see the town, and are walkers, this is a good option

8:30-9:00 a.m. guided tour of the Alaska State Capitol - A - good tour, good guide, knowledgeable and interesting, a lot of good information about Alaska

9:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. TEMSCO Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter and Guided Walk - A+ - exceeded our expectations, amazing experience, wonderful tour, unique experience, 40-minute guided tour on glacier, still great even in awful weather, highly recommend

Lunch – Tracy's King Crab Shack - A+ - worthy of all the hype, worth the money, delicious food (crab legs, chowder, crab cakes, and rolls), Alaskan beer on tap, fun environment

Mount Roberts Tramway - B - good to do once while in Alaska, good view, interesting information, only worth doing if you have the time and there isn't something better to do

4:00-6:30 p.m. TEMSCO Summer Dog Sled Camp - A - one caveat is that even after doing this I still feel conflicted about the humanity of dog mushing and the Iditarod, putting that aside it is a very good tour, you learn a lot from your musher, you interact with the dogs, you get a long ride, and you get to hold the puppies

Dinner - Twisted Fish Co Alaskan Grill - D - both the salmon and halibut were overcooked and dry, the rest of the meal was good but I can't get past that, good menu, good service, convenient location right next to the ship, good selection of Alaskan beers

Skagway:

Self-guided walking tour of downtown Skagway (pick up at Visitor Center) - B - if you have some extra time, would like to see the town, and are walkers, this is a good option

8:30-9:50 a.m. Mountain Flying Service Glacier Bay Flightseeing Tour - B - the tour was good, we were not able to fly over Glacier Bay National Park because of the weather, we flew over the Juneau ice field instead, that was fine as we want to be safe, the reason I marked this down a little was the unprofessionalism of Paul, he was trash-talking about his competition (Drake), using bad language, and hitting us up for TripAdvisor reviews

Lunch – Skagway Brewing Co - A - good beer, good food (fish and chips, pulled pork sandwich, beer and cheese soup, chili, bread), good service, fun enviornment

12:45-4:15 p.m. White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad White Pass Summit Excursion - A - good tour, beautiful scenery, good narration, friendly crew, very informative, next time we would opt to take a motorcoach tour or rent a car and go all the way up to Whitehorse

LAND TOUR:

Seward:

Hotel Seward – A - nice hotel, good location, clean, large room, comfortable bed, good sized bathroom, partial view of the bay, restaurant was fine for breakfast

10:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Major Marine Kenai Fjords Full-Day National Park Tour - A+ - wonderful tour, up close to glaciers, lots of wildlife, excellent narration from US Park Service Ranger, good captain, friendly crew, comfortable heated cabin, good viewing on various outer decks, nice tablemates, awful weather didn't affect wonderful experience

Lunch – A+ - do not miss the lunch buffet if you do a cruise with Major Marine, exceeded our expectations, the food was delicious, the homemade salad dressing and cranberry horseradish were so yummy, the salmon was among the best we had the entire vacation

Dinner – Seward Brewing Company - A - good beer, good food (fish and chips, braised short ribs, beer and cheese soup), good service, good location

Breakfast – Hotel Seward - B - food was good, not great, good breakfast to start the day, good service, convenient, reasonably priced

8:30-11:00 a.m. Exit Glacier Guides - A - reasonably-priced transportation to and from Exit Glacier, short and easy ~3-mile hike all the way to the glacier, different experience than flying onto/over or cruising in front of a glacier, helpful rangers, well marked trails

Lunch – Christo's Palace - B - okay pizza, not the best pizza we had in Alaska, came with salad and breadsticks, excellent salad, good service, convenient location

Alaska SeaLife Center - A - nice aquarium, not as extensive as our national aquarium in Baltimore, definitely a must-visit while in Seward, definitely do one or more of the encounters if you can afford them, you can buy paintings made by seals and/or puffins

1:00-2:00 p.m. Octopus Encounter - A+ - you get to feed a couple of octopus and let them suction onto your hand, creepy at first but very cool experience, you learn a lot about octopus and about the Sea Life Center, very informative, behind the scenes tour

2:00-3:00 p.m. Puffin Encounter - A+++ - you get to sit on rocks in the bird enclosure and hand feed a bucket of fish to the puffins and other birds, the birds come right up to you on the rocks and eat right out of your hands, the birds fly over you and all around you, people are staring and pointing wondering why you're inside the enclosure, amazing experience, so unique, if you can only do one of the three then do this one, you learn a lot about puffins and about the Sea Life Center, very informative, behind the scenes tour

3:00-4:00 p.m. Marine Mammal Encounter - A++ - you get to observe a seal training session and pet the seal, if you're lucky like us you also get to observe a sea lion training session, people are staring and pointing wondering why you're in the fenced off areas with the animals, this is the second best one in my opinion, you learn a lot obout marine mammals and about the Sea Life Center, very informative, behind the scenes tour

6:00-10:15 p.m. Coastal Classic Train to Anchorage - A+ - we upgraded to Gold Star class (the upper-level dome car), excellent views, breathtaking scenery, comfortable seats with foot rests, bar service at your seat, wonderful outside viewing platform that is spacious and comfortable, dining room on lower level of car, lovely bathrooms that are clean and large, I highly recommend upgrading if you can afford it

Dinner – A - do not miss the dinner if you take an evening train with a dining car, exceeded our expectations, good food, limited menu but good variety, good service, Alaskan beers on tap, includes soup or salad, entree, and dessert

Anchorage:

Ramada Anchorage - D - reasonably priced by Anchorage standards, convenient to train station and Enterprise car rental, not the best location downtown, clean, average sized rooms, average sized bathrooms, no air conditioning, fans provided but don't help, sweltering, restaurant okay for breakfast, not great, shuttle service provided to train station and airport, friendly and helpful staff, very basic motel, nothing special, would not stay there again, would not recommend, not sure where I would stay in Anchorage

Breakfast – Ramada Anchorage - C - okay food, okay service

9:45 a.m.-12:05 a.m. Glacier Discovery train to Whittier - B - beautiful scenery, good narration, no Gold Star class, no dining car

Whittier:

12:15-5:30 p.m. Major Marine Prince William Sound Glacier Tour - C - this tour suffered for us in comparison to the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward, if we'd only done this tour I suspect we would have liked it better, but in comparison it is less scenic, it visits fewer glaciers and does not get as close, it has much less wildlife viewing, this boat has less outside decks and no outside seating, the window defoggers did not work so you either had to go outside in the cold and rain or not see the views, a tour like this absolutely must have the window defoggers working, good narration by US Forest Service Ranger, good captain, friendly crew, if choosing between this and the Kenai Fjords out of Seward I highly recommend that one instead, if we had it to do over again we wouldn't do both

Lunch – A+ - do not miss the lunch buffet if you do a cruise with Major Marine, exceeded our expectations, the food was delicious, the homemade salad dressing and cranberry horseradish were so yummy, the salmon was among the best we had the entire vacation

6:45-9:15 p.m. Glacier Discovery train back to Anchorage B - beautiful scenery, good narration, no Gold Star class, no dining car

Dinner - D - this train only had a snack car, very limited variety of cold sandwiches and salads, sandwiches were not particularly good

Anchorage:

7:30 a.m. rent car at Enterprise downtown location - A - great car, convenient location, quick check-in process, friendly and helpful staff, good map to get us on the road, easy return with after-hours drop off via lock-box

Talkeetna:

11:00 a.m.-12:20 p.m. Talkeetna Aero Services McKinley Flightseeing Tour - A+ - exceeded our expectations, amazing experience to fly circles around the summits of Mt McKinley/Denali, saw 5 climbers on their way up to the summit, also view other mountains, breathtaking scenery, good pilot, very knowledgeable and informative, used oxygen which was scary at first but no big deal, friendly and helpful staff

Lunch – Denali Brewing Co & Twister Creek Restaurant - A - delicious beer, my favorite beer in Alaska, the chai nut brown ale was my favorite beer that I've ever had in my life, good food (fish and chips, pulled pork sandwich, beer and cheese soup), good service, lovely deck with umbrella tables and view of main drag

Denali:

McKinely Chalet - C - cabin/lodge type room, mosquitoes swarming in front of door, mosquitoes inside of room, dried blood all over the shower curtain, two separate bedrooms with a single full/double-sized bed in each, split bathroom with vanity in one of the bedrooms and toilet and shower inside the bathroom, clean, large room, although we hung up our towels housekeeping replaced them anyway despite signage re the environment

5:00-7:00 p.m. Alaska Cabin Nite Dinner Theater at McKinley Chalet - B - dinner was delicious, the salmon was among the best we had while in Alaska, good service, nice tablemates, the show was hokey even more so than expected, however the show was informative about the history of the Denali/Kantishna area, the cast were good

Breakfast – McKinley Chalet grab and go - C - hot breakfast sandwiches had obviously been sitting under the heat lamp for a long time as they were dried out and baked into the paper wrapper, yogurt parfaits were very good, okay breakfast before long day

7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Denali National Park shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center - A - good tour, saw lots of wildlife (fox, mama grizzly bear and two babies, lots of caribou, lots of birds), friendly and informative guide, beautiful scenery, just the right length, would not have wanted to go farther, bus was clean and comfortable, Denali was absolutely swarming with mosquitoes, bus was full of mosquitoes, visitors center has running water with flush toilets and sinks, rest stops are glorified porta potties, very clean but very rustic

Lunch – McKinley Chalet grab and go - B - good sandwiches, on good bread, no mustard or mayonnaise provided, didn't realize could have gotten at Wilderness Access Center

Denali Visitor Center - A - very extensive visitor center, good movie

Murie Science and Learning Center - C - not much here to see or do

Dinner – 49th State Brewing Company - C - just okay food (fish and chips, burger, beer and cheese soup, pretzels), good beer, limited on which beers available in sampler sizes, good service, nice sitting at the fire pit, short and easy drive from Denali

Breakfast – McKinley Chalet hot buffet - A - good variety of hot and cold food, omelet station, good oatmeal with variety of toppings, nice selection of hot teas, good service

7:30-11:30 a.m. The Canyon Run Whitewater Rafting - A - unique experience, very different from white water rafting at home, very effective dry suits, adventure getting dressed in the dry suits, beautiful scenery, experienced and skilled guides, friendly and funny also, nice run through mild rapids, would have paddled if I'd known how mild the rapids are and how unlikely I was to fall in, awful weather didn't diminish experience

Lunch – Prospectors Pizzeria & Alehouse - A - delicious pizza, amazing selection of Alaskan beers, good service, good location, beer and cheese soup much better here than at sister-restaurant 49th State Brewing Co, food much better overall than at other location

Fairbanks:

Pikes Waterfront Lodge - B - nice hotel, good location, not downtown, very close to the airport, clean, large room, comfortable bed, good sized bathroom, view of the river, restaurant was fine for breakfast, although we hung up our towels housekeeping replaced them anyway despite signage re the environment

University of Alaska Museum of the North - A - good museum, good art gallery, interesting architecture, informative exhibit about Alaska, three good movies

Dinner – Pioneer Park Salmon Bake - D - food was okay, salmon was worst of the offerings, salmon was the worst we had while in Alaska

Palace Theatre & Saloon “The Golden Heart Revue” - A - it was great for what it was, we didn't expect much, but it was pretty good, it definitely exceeded our expectations, much better show than Cabin Nite Dinner Theatre, very funny and entertaining, good cast with good voices, very informative about the history of Fairbanks, they sat us in the front row and I was the person they interacted with and picked on, it was fun

Breakfast – Pikes Waterfront Lodge hot breakfast buffet - B - good food, good variety, no omelet or waffle station, good oatmeal with variety of toppings, nice selection of hot teas

9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Riverboat Discovery - D - fake and staged, the DisneyWorld or Las Vegas version of Alaska, staged and scripted appearances, fake Indian village with scripted actors, very disappointing experience, we do not recommend it at all

Lunch – Discovery Dining Hall - C - okay food, poor service, very rushed, they were cleaning up before we were finished eating, convenient if doing both tours

1:45-3:45 p.m. Gold Dredge No. 8 - D - fake and staged, the DisneyWorld or Las Vegas version of gold dredging, staged and scripted appearances, gold panning experience was fun and interesting, until they tried to sell you crappy jewelry to put your gold in, very disappointing experience, we do not recommend it at all

Dinner – Silver Gulch Brewing - A - good beer, good food (fish and chips, fried shrimp, beer and cheese soup, chili, pretzels), good service, nice space with upstairs loft seating overlooking the bar, short and easy drive from Fairbanks

Breakfast - Cookie Jar Restaurant - A - good food, good service, nice selection of hot teas, the cinnamon bun French toast was amazing, one of the most decadent things we've ever eaten, we got two cookies to go, fresh and hot out of the oven

Anchorage:

Dinner – Moose’s Tooth Pub & Pizzeria or Bear Tooth Theater Pub & Grill - A - good beer, good food, good service, delicious pizza, many good beers to sample

Ramada Anchorage - D - same as our last stay, we asked for a room that would possibly be cooler, they said this would be the coolest room, it was even hotter, it was a slightly nicer room, this experience did not change our impression of the hotel, it solidified our initial opinion that we would not stay here again

Anchorage Museum at Rasmusen Center - A - good museum, good art gallery, good temporary exhibit on Alaska aviation, good location downtown, easy parking

Alaska Native Heritage Center - A - good museum, good outdoor exhibit with examples of traditional houses from each tribe, good overview of Alaska native cultures, good demonstration of traditional games, good dance performance, good storytelling

Lunch – Glacier Brewhouse - B - okay food (fish and chips, braised beef sandwich, fried calamari), good beer, limited on which beers available in sampler sizes, friendly but inattentive and slow service, good location downtown

Alaska Aviation Museum - A - good museum, good exhibit, good variety of planes and helicopters on display, good location right at the airport

Alaska Zoo - D - poor zoo, pales in comparison to our national aquarium in Washington DC, small enclosures, dirty and not well kept, glass so dirty that it's difficult to photograph the animals, good map that helps you wind your way around the confusing route

Snack – Midnight Sun Brewing Company - B - good food (beer and cheese soup, pretzels), okay beer, add fruit-flavored syrups to beers rather than brewing proper fruit-flavored beers, good service, neat loft above the brewery, out-of-the-way location

Dinner - Silver Gulch Brewing at the Anchorage airport - B - good beer, okay food (cedar planked salmon and calzone), had the same delicious beer I had in Fairbanks, no sampler sizes available, not the best or worst salmon we had in Alaska

Edited by allisons
  • Like 1

Very good information that folks can actually use. Thank you!

I would not ever have suggested the Ramada Anchorage to anyone any time of year.

You got a lot done in a short period of time.

Edited by PennyAgain

thanks for your post - easy to read.

now i wonder about the glacier cruise we have booked out of whittier - we're doing the same - the kenai and the whittier with major marine -- we have the coupons. Were you on the Surprise Glacier tour?

SO many recommend the 49th State Brewing Company ... sorry you didn't enjoy....

I've also got the Mckinley Summit tour booked -- can't wait. fingers crossed for good weather!

Wonderful review! From this list what did you end up taking?

backpack (1 per person)

fanny pack (1 pp)

camera with waterproof bag, zoom lens, polarized UV filters, tripod, etc. (1 pp)

waterproof binoculars (1 pp)

1-quart water bottle (1 pp)

umbrella (1 pp)

100% DEET bug spray (1 pp)

sunscreen (1 pp)

polarized sunglasses (1 pp)

baseball caps (2 pp)

waterproof hiking boots (1 pp)

waterproofed leather sneakers (1 pp)

waterproof walking sandals (1 pp)

3-in-1 waterproof jacket with zip-out fleece lining that can be worn separately (1 pp)

2-piece rain suit with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

rain poncho with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

wind-proof cargo pants (1 pp)

windbreaker jacket with hood (1 pp)

fleece zip-ups (2 pp)

fleece hoodie (1 pp)

fleece vest (1 pp)

regular hoodies (2 pp)

sweatshirts (2 pp)

moisture-wicking socks (8 pp)

wool socks (12 pp)

wool glove liners (2 pp)

wool hats (2 pp)

wool scarf (1 pp)

ear muffs (1 pp)

silk long underwear (2 pp)

wool long underwear (2 pp)

jeans (4 pp)

cargo pants (4 pp)

shorts/capris (2 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - light weight (4 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - heavy weight (4 pp)

short-sleeve t-shirts (6 pp)

now i wonder about the glacier cruise we have booked out of whittier - we're doing the same - the kenai and the whittier with major marine -- we have the coupons. Were you on the Surprise Glacier tour?

I've also got the Mckinley Summit tour booked -- can't wait. fingers crossed for good weather!

I would not worry about the tour. Lots of things can play into one liking or not liking a tour. My husband would much rather go on another PWS tour than a Kenai Fjord Tour. We did not go with Major Marines though, so perhaps their tours are a bit different. I know we spent more time by the glaciers on our PWS tour than we did on our Kenai Fjords tour. The company we used is no longer in Whittier. The PWS tours consistently get rave reviews. Just like OP did not like the PWS tour, my husband was not enthralled with the 9 hour Kenai Fjords tour we took. Most people love the Kenai Fjords tour. I would say he liked it, but he did not love it. It is a well-known fact that you will not see much wildlife on a PWS tour..these are glacier tours. Most people enjoy both for different reasons. Based on what the OP has reported, if I were to go back, I might look into the other company that does these tours, but I would DEFINITELY go back. In fact I have planning ahead when I hope to bring my grandchildren.

Allisons: I love the format of your trip summary. This is more of what reviews used to be (without the grades ;)) on this forum. Lately the reviews are very, very lengthy and although many people love them, I much prefer your style. I like to get the important information without having to weed through pages and pages. Thanks for taking the time to provide such worthwhile information. How fortunate you were to be able to do as many tours/excursions as you did.

Did your cruise include a glacier or scenic sailing day?

I wished we had more time to do more of the tours at the SeaLife Center. We did the Behind the Scenes tour, which we found very worthwhile too. The Puffins tour was my second choice, but we didn't fit it in.

I was surprised you did not enjoy Vancouver more, but I guess everyone has different interests. I did read that there are more than one company that operate the hop on and hop off trolleys and one comes recommended over the others. The name slips my mind at the moment.

So sorry to hear that Teckk Outfitters did not meet your expectations. There is a poster on CC that praises them to the nth degree. I was considering using them for whale watching, but after reading some negative reviews about them, I changed my mind. I am sorry they did not work out for you. I know how disappointing that can be. If you get back to Alaska, try to come during the peak time for the salmon and take a fly in tour. You won't be disappointed.

How disappointing you did not get to fly over Glacier Bay. I guess you will just have to come back to Alaska. ;) Just curious, were you told before the flight that you would not likely be able to get to Glacier Bay. If yes, were you given the opportunity to cancel? I despise when businesses ask you to give them a review on Trip Advisor. Paul sounds very unprofessional.

What made the white water rafting different from what you have experienced back home?

Based on your report, would I be accurate to say you were sorry you included Fairbanks?

Thanks again for a great trip summary!!! I loved it and I am eager to head back to Alaska.

Edited by vbmom87

Very good information that folks can actually use. Thank you!

I would not ever have suggested the Ramada Anchorage to anyone any time of year.

You got a lot done in a short period of time.

You're welcome! Thank you for the positive feedback!

I wish I'd asked about the Ramada before we went!

Yes, we did a ton of stuff in 17 days!

Yes, it was the Surprise Glacier cruise. It wasn't a bad tour, it was just so much less good than the other one, and it was not different enough to justify doing both. We also used the coupons. I would say change it if you have something else to do at that time, but otherwise go.

49th State Brewing Company was fun to go to. Just the food was lacking. And they only have the one set sampler. All of the other breweries allowed you to purchase a tasting size of any beer that they had on tap.

The McKinley summit tour was amazing! Don't worry so much about the weather. The weather was crappy the day we went. But they flew us to the mountains and it was nice and sunny there and the clouds made it even cooler looking.

Wonderful review! From this list what did you end up taking?

Here is the list of what we took and used. We took a little bit more than this (not much), but I won't include what we didn't use.

daypack (1 per person)

camera, zoom lens, polarized UV filters, tripod, etc.

8x42 waterproof binoculairs

10x50 waterproof binoculairs

1-quart water bottle (1 pp)

umbrella (1 pp)

100% DEET bug spray (1 pp)

sunscreen (1 pp)

polarized sunglasses (1 pp)

baseball caps (2 pp)

waterproof hiking boots (1 pp)

waterproofed leather sneakers (1 pp)

rain poncho with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

windbreaker jacket with hood (1 pp)

fleece zip-ups (2 pp)

moisture-wicking socks (4 pp)

wool socks (13 pp)

wool glove liners (2 pp)

wool hats (2 pp)

wool scarf (1 pp)

silk long underwear (2 pp)

long pants (2 pp)

shorts/capris (2 pp)

short-sleeve t-shirts (5 pp)

long-sleeve shirts (3 pp)

I would not worry about the tour. Lots of things can play into one liking or not liking a tour. My husband would much rather go on another PWS tour than a Kenai Fjord Tour. We did not go with Major Marines though, so perhaps their tours are a bit different. I know we spent more time by the glaciers on our PWS tour than we did on our Kenai Fjords tour. The company we used is no longer in Whittier. The PWS tours consistently get rave reviews. Just like OP did not like the PWS tour, my husband was not enthralled with the 9 hour Kenai Fjords tour we took. Most people love the Kenai Fjords tour. I would say he liked it, but he did not love it. It is a well-known fact that you will not see much wildlife on a PWS tour..these are glacier tours. Most people enjoy both for different reasons. Based on what the OP has reported, if I were to go back, I might look into the other company that does these tours, but I would DEFINITELY go back. In fact I have planning ahead when I hope to bring my grandchildren.

I agree completely. I wrongly assumed that Major Marine visited all 26 glaciers like Philips does. However, Major Marine only visits 3 glaciers. If I did this again, I would do the Philips 26 glacier tour instead. (If I did the Kenai Fjords tour again, I would try Kenai Fjords Tours next time instead of Major Marine.)

Allisons: I love the format of your trip summary. This is more of what reviews used to be (without the grades ;)) on this forum. Lately the reviews are very, very lengthy and although many people love them, I much prefer your style. I like to get the important information without having to weed through pages and pages. Thanks for taking the time to provide such worthwhile information. How fortunate you were to be able to do as many tours/excursions as you did.

Did your cruise include a glacier or scenic sailing day?

I wished we had more time to do more of the tours at the SeaLife Center. We did the Behind the Scenes tour, which we found very worthwhile too. The Puffins tour was my second choice, but we didn't fit it in.

I was surprised you did not enjoy Vancouver more, but I guess everyone has different interests. I did read that there are more than one company that operate the hop on and hop off trolleys and one comes recommended over the others. The name slips my mind at the moment.

So sorry to hear that Teckk Outfitters did not meet your expectations. There is a poster on CC that praises them to the nth degree. I was considering using them for whale watching, but after reading some negative reviews about them, I changed my mind. I am sorry they did not work out for you. I know how disappointing that can be. If you get back to Alaska, try to come during the peak time for the salmon and take a fly in tour. You won't be disappointed.

How disappointing you did not get to fly over Glacier Bay. I guess you will just have to come back to Alaska. ;) Just curious, were you told before the flight that you would not likely be able to get to Glacier Bay. If yes, were you given the opportunity to cancel? I despise when businesses ask you to give them a review on Trip Advisor. Paul sounds very unprofessional.

What made the white water rafting different from what you have experienced back home?

Based on your report, would I be accurate to say you were sorry you included Fairbanks?

Thanks again for a great trip summary!!! I loved it and I am eager to head back to Alaska.

You're welcome! Thank you for the positive feedback! I could never write one of those long reviews with the prose and the pictures! I, too, find them way too much to read!

My cruise was supposed to include a scenic cruising day of the Inside Passage and a scenic cruising day of Hubbard Glacier. Unfortunately, the weather was too bad and too foggy to do either. On the Inside Passage day, we started out in the morning and did it for a couple of hours, but it was so foggy that we had to go so slowly that they'd never make it to Ketchikan in time, so they went way out to see instead. On the Hubbard Glacier day, we sat at the entrance of the bay for hours in thick fog surrounded by icebergs, then they finally announced that we could not go into the bay and would have to skip Hubbard Glacier.

The puffins were fabulous! I highly recommend it! If you ever go back to Seward, do it! It's worth every penny!

I didn't not enjoy Vancouver. I did enjoy it. I just didn't love it. I expected it to be so fabulous because everyone talks it up so much, and it just wasn't as wonderful as I expected.

Teckk Outfitters was so disappointing! Shockingly so! The worst private tour we've ever taken out of 21 cruises! I really want to write a letter and ask for my money back!

When is salmon season? When would be the best time to go? What would be the best place and way to see bears? What would you recommend?

No, Paul did not tell us that we would not be able to fly over Glacier Bay or offer us a refund. In fact, he didn't even mention it when he was flying. I realized it and asked. Then he told us, and I wonder if he would have if I hadn't figured it out.

At home, we go white water rafting in warm water. We wear summer clothes, splash each other, and don't worry about the temperature of the water if we fall in. There is no beautiful mountain scenery. The rapids are much more intense.

Yes, we were incredibly sorry that we included Fairbanks. You all tried to tell me. I didn't listen. I will never, ever disregard CruiseCritic advice again.

We too are eager to head back to Alaska! While in Alaska, we canceled our planned Mediterranean cruises for next year and booked Alaska cruises instead! Partially because we loved it so much, and partially because of the disappointment of missing our scenic cruising days in the Inside Passage and Hubbard Glacier! We'll start with a week of DIY land on the Kenai Peninsula either in RV or car/hotel, then a southbound cruise on the Crown Princess, and finally a roundtrip Seattle cruise on the HAL ms Amsterdam!

allisons,

Great information, we leave for Vancouver in 9 days.

Really interested in your packing list. I have watched the temperatures going up and down. Really trying to not over pack on this trip. What would you say your temps were? I know it will feel colder on cloudy/rainy days, as well as Hubbard Glacier day.

I notice you had short and long sleeve T shirts. Did you layer these or did you just wear one of the other with your fleece and jacket?

Scratching my head what to throw in the suitcase. Will have long johns if needed as well as the fleece jacket and water proof jacket.

Did you need your water proof shoes that much?

Sorry you didn't make it to Hubbard Glacier, we were very fortunate in 2009 to really close.

Thanks for help.

Fairbanks:

Dinner – Pioneer Park Salmon Bake - D - food was okay, salmon was worst of the offerings, salmon was the worst we had while in Alaska

Since we live here we are accustomed to Alaskan restaurant prices, but I find the Pioneer Park Salmon Bake to be overpriced for what it is. I'm not surprised it was scored a "D."

We're doing a DIY tour in August and wondering why you didn't care for Fairbanks? We have included it on our itinerary for 2 nights and maybe we don't need 2 nights!! Maybe I'll add another night to Denali instead. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, we were incredibly sorry that we included Fairbanks. You all tried to tell me. I didn't listen. I will never, ever disregard CruiseCritic advice again.

!

Why were you "incredibly sorry that we included Fairbanks?" What so disappointed you in our community? Are you just not outdoorsy enough to understand our lifestyle here? And I somehow have missed that Fairbanks is so dismissed by posters on Cruise Critic, which is what I am reading in to the comment that "You all tried to tell me."

Hi,

Just wanting to know if the Puffin experience is $79 on top of the $20 to get in to the sea life centre or is the $20 included in that price?

Thanks.

You have to pay the $20 entrance fee as well as the $79 tour price. I'm booked on the puffin tour for later this year and was already looking forward to it, but now having read Allisons review, I'm even keener than I was!

allisons,

Great information, we leave for Vancouver in 9 days.

Really interested in your packing list. I have watched the temperatures going up and down. Really trying to not over pack on this trip. What would you say your temps were? I know it will feel colder on cloudy/rainy days, as well as Hubbard Glacier day.

I notice you had short and long sleeve T shirts. Did you layer these or did you just wear one of the other with your fleece and jacket?

Scratching my head what to throw in the suitcase. Will have long johns if needed as well as the fleece jacket and water proof jacket.

Did you need your water proof shoes that much?

Sorry you didn't make it to Hubbard Glacier, we were very fortunate in 2009 to really close.

Thanks for help.

Ketchikan - high 60s, sunny, dry

Hoonah - low 50s, overcast, rainy

Juneau - low 50s, overcast, rainy

Skagway - low 50s, sunny, dry

Seward - low 50s, overcast, rainy

Whittier - low 50s, overcast, rainy

Talkeetna - low 60s, sunny, dry

Denali - low 50s, overcast, rainy

Fairbanks - low 70s, sunny dry

Anchorage - high 70s, sunny, dry

On nice days (Ketchikan, Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Anchorage), we layered short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, capris/pants, and had our fleece jackets in case we needed them.

On crappy days (Hoonah, Juneau, Skagway, Seward, Whittier, Denali), we layered long underwear, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, pants, and had a second pair of paints, fleece jackets, rain/wind jackets, hats, gloves, and scarves in case we needed them.

We wore our waterproof hiking boots ever single day. We never even wore our sneakers once. Next year, we'll only take our hiking boots. We won't even bother to bring our sneakers.

Since we live here we are accustomed to Alaskan restaurant prices, but I find the Pioneer Park Salmon Bake to be overpriced for what it is. I'm not surprised it was scored a "D."

Yeah, it was pretty terrible. Especially the salmon, which was shocking and disappointing.

We're doing a DIY tour in August and wondering why you didn't care for Fairbanks? We have included it on our itinerary for 2 nights and maybe we don't need 2 nights!! Maybe I'll add another night to Denali instead. Thanks for the tip!

We didn't care for Fairbanks because there was nothing good to do there. The tours offered there were terrible. There's no real downtown area to see. I would highly recommend skipping Fairbanks entirely. It's not worth the drive. Stay in Denali the extra time. Or go somewhere else. If we had it to over, we would have gone to Homer for 2 nights instead. People here tried to warn me about Fairbanks, but I didn't listen.

Hi,

Just wanting to know if the Puffin experience is $79 on top of the $20 to get in to the sea life centre or is the $20 included in that price?

Thanks.

We thought it was supposed to be included in the price. But they charged it to us on top of it. But we didn't care. It was worth every penny and then some.

Why were you "incredibly sorry that we included Fairbanks?" What so disappointed you in our community? Are you just not outdoorsy enough to understand our lifestyle here? And I somehow have missed that Fairbanks is so dismissed by posters on Cruise Critic, which is what I am reading in to the comment that "You all tried to tell me."

I certainly didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry that you're taking it personally. Many people on these message boards advised me against going to Fairbanks. I do wish I had listened to that advice.

You have to pay the $20 entrance fee as well as the $79 tour price. I'm booked on the puffin tour for later this year and was already looking forward to it, but now having read Allisons review, I'm even keener than I was!

I hope that you have just as amazing of an experience as we did!