Anyone Decorate Balconies?

cruiseray

On our recent Alaskan cruise, I saw no balconies decorated - maybe because too windy, rainy, cold - but lots of doors decorated, esp. since they are metal and you can use magnets, tape, posters, baloons, pictures, etc. Probably in Caribbean cruises there are balcony decorations - I would just have to make sure nothing blew into the water, since that is such a big "NO NO" to pollute these beautiful waters. I have read in the past where some folks have even put lights around their balconies on Holiday Cruises in the Caribbean. gg

If you should decorate your balcony (and I personally don't approve of the practice), do not use any colored lights, as they may contradict the navigation lights displayed on the foremast, and create confusion to other ships in the same sealanes.

people decorate cabin doors using the "logic" that it helps them find their cabin. PEOPLE, it has a NUMBER! ;) when you step off the elevator or stairwell there are signs with arrows to direct you, some ships even have deck diagrams! what do you do in a 50 story hotel? and i dont mean to sound superior but after you've gotten there once or twice why cant you remember? :confused: another poster referred to lights and interfering with navigation lights, good point, but why would you want to make a sleek, multimillion dollar ship look like a parade float or a trailer park laundry yard? :eek: sorry, had to blow off steam!! :D

I'm not much of an outdoor decorator unless it's using stuff that crops up natively, but I can't feature much in the way of balcony decoration that's any worse than that plastic patio furniture that's out there to begin with.

I've actually never seen it done -- what were you thinking of doing? It seems like most things would get blown away?

people decorate cabin doors using the "logic" that it helps them find their cabin. PEOPLE, it has a NUMBER! ;) when you step off the elevator or stairwell there are signs with arrows to direct you, some ships even have deck diagrams! what do you do in a 50 story hotel? and i dont mean to sound superior but after you've gotten there once or twice why cant you remember? :confused: another poster referred to lights and interfering with navigation lights, good point, but why would you want to make a sleek, multimillion dollar ship look like a parade float or a trailer park laundry yard? :eek: sorry, had to blow off steam!! :D

THANKS

I really needed a good laugh and you just gave me one. :)

No offense to the OP, but might I respectfully suggest that you decorate the interior of your cabin instead.

I tied a windsock outside on our balcony. I liked that when we were on shore we could see which cabin was ours. We were on the Caribe Deck of the Grand Princess. I tied the windsock to one of the supports from the balcony above ours. I've also seen various sports flags hanging on balconies.

I have seen some folks waving their national flag on some cruises as we were arriving or departing a port city....if there are some folks on shore watching. If you've ever sailed out of Port Everaglades on one of the famous ships (for example, the QE2 or QM2 departing on a World Cruise), the residents in the tall condo buildings along the waterway come out on their decks to wave and honk horns and cheer....and some of them were waving the Union Jack.

I have to admit.....I think I have seen a Carnival ship berthed next to us in a Carib port....and several of their balconies were decorated. But, unless there are people on shore to see it, why would anyone want to do it? No one on the ship is going to see it--unless they are leaning WAY over-board. You do not have an audience while at sea.

cheers

Tacky...NOT....

...when you're on the ship on Christmas Day and you're in a beautiful aft cabin. I wrap garland around the balustrade to remind me of the holiday everytime we go out. We lived on our AB mini balcony during that cruise.

I had a hard time getting it off though because the salt spray mad it stick to the varnish. I'd do it again though...

I have always brought a holiday themed wall hanging decoration whenever I cruise for the cabin door & inside the cabin. Nothing fancy, just paper wall hangings. I do this at work too always decorating. Have heard that those on Christmas cruises have brought trees for the cabin!

As far as balconies I have put the balloons from Landfall dinner out there on my B2B cruises. The windsock idea is cute. Would be afraid of it blowing away though. Have not seen lights ever on a Princess balcony.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha! Thanks. :D

The kids love to have it done. I know there is a number but it adds an even more festive air to the whole experience. I just bought some lights to have out on our balcony when we travel this fall. So much nicer than the harsh outdoor light.

I love the windsock idea. When the kids were really little ~ we use to prop their stuffed animals in our oceanview windows so we could pick out our cabin from shore...

To each his own I say.

Come ON guys!! Next step will be hanging out our laundry on the balconies! Fair enough a token gesture for Xmas or New Year, but let's not allow our ships to become bedecked by all kinds of unsightly nonsense. You know how it would work...one passenger trying to be more outrageous than the next...etc..etc. It will only end in tears!

When we were on the Grand a few years ago there was a big family that put strings of white lights on all their balcony railings. We actually didn't see it but they told us at our CruiseCritic gathering that all their balconies were decorated.

Also, I've seen on someone's balcony pictures on here where they had a big blow up palm tree that was probably around 6' tall sitting on their balcony. That made me laugh!

Many years ago we had a cabin steward who used to pose our child's Sylvester the Cat stuffed animal in the oceanview window. Each day was something different.....a hat on him, or sunglasses on him, or waving. He even had him standing on his head one day. It was funny.

We always hang a Texas flag from our balcony railing when in port. Makes it easy to point out our cabin from the pier. We've never heard "a discouraging word" about it. (And, yes, we use a rubber bungee so as not to damage the railing.)

John

Archived