Trying to decide on when

Okie1946

We are trying to decide on when is the best time to book a cruise to the Panama Canal. We realize that any time is better than the winters in Minnesota, but don't want to be going down when it is wet/rainy. Can someone please help us with any past experiences as to when it is the best time to cruise the canal.

Thanks for the help.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

Panama Canal - 2015

The best months IMO are the middle of winter (December-maybe March). It is Panama's "dry" season if you want to call it that, and the temperatures are mild. Both of these should be taken with a grain of salt since their dry season still will probably be damp (maybe sunny if your lucky) and the temperatures will still be in the 80-90+ degree range. But, you will be a long ways from Minnesota's snow & cold!

If you read down the board, you will see the Canal cruising season is late September to mid May. As sptrout said, the "dry" ( a relative term- the Canal is in a tropical rain forest/jungle, so rain is possible all the time) season is January-June, so many people chose then. But November and December are sometimes cheaper.

We did the cruise in November last year and had almost no rain the entire trip from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego. Just a few sprinkles in Portobello, Panama is about all I remember. There is a link in my signature below to the live report I did.

It is just the luck of the draw of course. We did see big storm clouds off and on during the canal transit but fortunately they missed us. It is a tropical climate so the possible of showers exist all year but others have point out when the "dry" season is.

The only possible negative for fall is that it is still hurricane season in the Caribbean. Although Panama is outside the hurricane belt the path across the Caribbean isn't. The rain, whenever you go, is warm and usually is tropical showers. I like January-March because the winds in Panama blow from the north. There is less chance of rain, but, I think more importantly, the northerly winds keep the winds blowing across the deck of the ship making it feel cooler and less humid if you're not used to tropical weather.

Regards, Richard

The only possible negative for fall is that it is still hurricane season in the Caribbean. Although Panama is outside the hurricane belt the path across the Caribbean isn't. The rain, whenever you go, is warm and usually is tropical showers. I like January-March because the winds in Panama blow from the north. There is less chance of rain, but, I think more importantly, the northerly winds keep the winds blowing across the deck of the ship making it feel cooler and less humid if you're not used to tropical weather.

Regards, Richard

We want to go somewhere warm and have always dreamed about the Panama Canal - your statement about January-March was really helpful. I have some issues with heat - and knowing that January is cooler and the northern winds will help with the heat and humidity was very welcome.

We are continuing to plan and trying to decide which itinerary would be the best for us.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

Planning Stages: Panama Canal 2015