Power source on independence

Just bear in mind that high power things, such as hairdryer and straighteners will not work on the US voltage, so take a Euro/UK adapter for these things, phones cameras laptops etc. should all work on both outlets as they are normally self sensing where voltage is concerned

Actually this is your power source on the Indy.

ry%3D400

One of 6 V12 15000hp engines (each 185 tonnes), each powering ...

ry%3D400

...a 14.5kW generator (all modelled by the wife to give you a bit of scale).

What a great day that was down in the engine room!

Simon

Actually this is your power source on the Indy.

ry%3D400

One of 6 V12 15000hp engines (each 185 tonnes), each powering ...

ry%3D400

...a 14.5kW generator (all modelled by the wife to give you a bit of scale).

What a great day that was down in the engine room!

Simon

Nice photos. Usually on the tours you only get to see the engine control room and not the actual engine room.

Yes, we were very, very lucky! For some reason when my Mum was on her first RCI cruise on the Indy, she got an invite to the engine room. We had tried before (when we did 3 b2b's on the Exlplorer the CD tried to get us an engine room tour, but couldn't) with no luck. So as my Mum had been on one a couple of months before, I wrote to the Chief Engineer and grovelled! He phoned us up and said 'no problem, what day would you like to come'. So Jane and I got our own tour of the control room and engine room including such things as the desalination plants, osmosis filters and the compressor fo the ice rink! If you'd like to see more of the engine room, go to https://janesimonsphotos.shutterfly.com/28 ...they start at photo 89.

Simon

Yes, we were very, very lucky! For some reason when my Mum was on her first RCI cruise on the Indy, she got an invite to the engine room. We had tried before (when we did 3 b2b's on the Exlplorer the CD tried to get us an engine room tour, but couldn't) with no luck. So as my Mum had been on one a couple of months before, I wrote to the Chief Engineer and grovelled! He phoned us up and said 'no problem, what day would you like to come'. So Jane and I got our own tour of the control room and engine room including such things as the desalination plants, osmosis filters and the compressor fo the ice rink! If you'd like to see more of the engine room, go to https://janesimonsphotos.shutterfly.com/28 ...they start at photo 89.

Simon

Thanks for posting that link. Some very interesting shots and probably about as close as most of us will ever get to those areas.

Simon

I would say very, very, very lucky. From the two standpoints of liability insurance, and the vessel's Security Plan, this kind of access is extremely rare. Very few crewmembers are allowed access to the engine room spaces.

We had one CD who made some videos of the engine rooms, and had them shown on the TV. Needless to say, they required overdubbing later because you can't hear anything when the engines are running. I did notice your wife playing with the ear plugs in one photo, they aren't real comfortable until you use them all the time.

Edited by chengkp75

Yes, the permanent crew have proper ear defenders which are much more comfortable. As you say, it was very noisy (almost impossible to talk even when your heads are together), very hot and incredibly clean!, but definately one of the best 'trips' we have been able to do. It interests both of us as I have an engineering background and we are both now professional heavy goods drivers, so 'big engines' are almost in the blood!

Simon