A side-by-side comparison Seabourn vs Silversea

MJN1

Here is another SB versus SS comparison...

As background, after booking on-board our next SS cruise for ten years we walked off the Shadow last year without one, thanks to a rather inefficient cruise consultant on board. We were also tired of the constant cost- and quality cutting we noticed over the years and even made the effort to write to Mr. Lefebvre summarizing the many examples we felt where his penny pinching management is undermining the luxury brand he personally created over 20 years ago. A reply came only four weeks later from one of his Guest Relation Managers, only partly addressing our comments, misspelling our names :eek: and so we decided to try the “competition” despite the price reduction voucher offered towards a future SS cruise.

Having read a recent SB vs SS comparison just before we boarded the Sojourn for ten days from Monte Carlo to Barcelona early June our expectations were high, and the first impression was very positive. And as dinner discussions often started with “How do you like SB?” we started to “keep a log” of the differences we noticed. Given that suite categories and ship sizes differ to some extent between both lines we did compare the Sojourn with the Whisper/Shadow and our Penthouse suite on SB with Silver Suites on SS. Comparisons are by definition subjective given personal tastes, but at the end the “score” was nearly even with 28.5 vs 31.5 for SB vs SS.

If we assign more “weight” to some areas (like the Gym and the caviar :cool:) the score would skew the other way and if we weigh another area (smoking) bounce back again. So at the end, we will most likely return for another SB cruise, but also be back on SS again. I guess we now know what we can expect on SB and what not. However, we will look with some trepidation towards another SS cruise and hope that Mr. Lefebvre does intervene before his management runs this previously unsurpassed cruise-line further into the ground...

And if you are interested in sixty ;) specific detailed observations (from the mundane like the elevators to the more important like the staff) you can read on (and yes, we had other things to do and still "had a live" on board :D

Area

Comments

SB: SS Score

Afternoon Tea

less of an “event” on SB and fewer food choices

0:1

Allergies

Listing an allergy on the guest information sheets for SS results in a meeting with the Maitre'D before the first dinner to confirm details and SS staff is usually widely aware of this. Nothing like this on SB. When my wife asked if a dish contained her problem ingredient, the response was “Oh, are you allergic? Let me check....”

Balcony

Glass partition towards the sea on SB, open railing on SS; so less windy on SB, but can't put “feet on the rails”...

0.5:0.5

Band (Music)

young energetic musicians and nice (female) singer on SB vs the tired SShip quartets

1:0

Bar Service

less staff on SB and thus longer waiting time for drinks; no remembering of our favourite drinks at all on SB

Binoculars

provided in every suite on SS, none on SB (so don't forget to bring your own!)

Boarding

multiple check-in stations on SB vs few on SS

Booking on Board

No 2105 schedule (yet) available on SB, but for a (fully refundable) $500 deposit one could book a future cruise with 5% discount within 4 years; SS on board savings were down to 2% last year and the deposit policy (I think) is less customer friendly

Caviar

free on SB (but no one tells you this) whereas (hefty) charge on SS

Coffee

a subjective topic and millions drink Starbucks or Nespresso daily instead of it :rolleyes:; but SB coffee – except for espresso at the Square – was horrible and what they call a Cappuccino undrinkable; I guess as long as SS has Italians on-board our vote goes there

Colonnade/Terraza (Atmosphere)

while the outdoor areas are similar, we found the inside of the Colonnade resembling more an American Diner and given that the buffet set-up look also prevails at dinner (which is served) prefer the more stylish elegance of La Terraza;

Colonnade/Terraza (Food Choices)

Similar selection for breakfast; no sushi for lunch on SB; daily changing themes on SB vs. repeating Mediterranean menus on SS; net a “draw”

Drinking Water

standard (still or sparkling) water bottles in your SB suite vs the “self-made” water carafes on SS

Elevators

faster responding on SB than SS

Excursions

overall similar (and overpriced) on both; that one has to pre-pay when booking on-line before the cruise on SB (and officially not being able to cancel later – you can when you ask up to a few days before the excursion like on SS) gives the score to SS

Food and Drink Service (all Restaurants)

more polished on SB, more smiling on SS; we can live with both...

Fruits

daily different fruit selection on SB; on last SS cruise we had to ask for fruit in the cabin as not provided automatically

Guest List

SB asks you to check your info to be shown and gives you the option to opt in or out; SS stopped this for “privacy” (or better cost-cutting) reasons

Gym

you will not hit your head against the ceiling on SB, will find several (instead of one or two) weight machines and at least double the number of aerobic machines on SB compared to SS; the space for fitness/stretch classes is larger too (and has windows)

Hygiene

Hand-sanitizers are ubiquitous, very “present” and are being used on SB; not using them seems to be the exception on SB compared to the more “cavalier” approach on SS

Information

apart that SB provided a nice brochure for every port, SS has a clear edge here; there is more info provided in the daily Chronicles vs The Herald (no listing of excursion times, often no venue given for on-board activities); there is no en-suite info folder on SB; for newcomers to SB as we were we felt often “out-of-the-(info)loop”

Internet

slow on both lines; log-in process more complex on SB but prices much lower ($20 for 120min on SB vs $45 for 100min on SS)

Laundrettes

4 washing machines and four dryers on Deck 5 on SB vs Laundrettes spread across decks on SS

Laundry Service

free in Silver Suite, pay $50 per bag or individually per item in PH suite; same day service on SS, next day on SB unless paying 50% up-charge

Lectures

None on SB except two destination talks vs plentiful of usually interesting speakers on various topics on SS

Names (being called by)

while we did not count, our experience on SS was that at least at half of the occasions (or more) the staff would address us by name; on SB that hardly ever happened (not in the reservation only Restaurant 2, nor at room service, not even when we were three times on the same day in the restaurant; on the contrary during ten days we were asked at every restaurant visit for our suite number!)

Newspapers

same small, four page papers from your home country/region on cabin door every morning, with SB providing Japanese paper compared to English Asia News on SS; rather limited selection of daily newspapers provided only on I-pads at the Square on SB, compared to many more choices of full sized paper copies at the Library on SS;

Noise/Vibrations

we usually woke up on SS when the ship manoeuvres for docking after arriving in port; on SB we awoke every day moored dockside. We thought our suite location may be the cause and thus walked the ship a few times during arrival and departure: besides the clanking of the anchor (when not docked) we could not hear the side-trusters nor feel their vibrations anywhere!

Observatory lounge

much more spacious and canapés/drinks served in the evening, plus a piano player on SB; basically a self-service “watch the ocean and read” room on SS

Opening Times

The main Restaurant is only open one hour for breakfast, closed for lunch unless a sea-day and only open 7-9 for dinner on SB

Overall Impression

SB: up-scale American, efficient, relaxed, on your own;

SS: downgraded Italian, a bit more formal, taken care of;

Score: what you prefer (we would prefer SS ten years ago, but today “different horses for different itineraries”..)

Patio Grill/Hot Rocks (Dinner)

two very different experiences: buffet selection on SB, hot stone grill on SS; net – even score....

Pool Grill Drink Service

someone constantly wandering around with drinks on SB, have to call waiter on SS

Pool Grill Lunch Food Selection

similar choices on both, but (dafne is right) the hamburgers are much better on SB

Pool Grill Lunch Food Service

Self-service on SB vs waiters on SS

Pool Grill Lunch Menu

no menus on SB; menus on all tables on SS

Printing

SS has never charged us for printing something off the internet. When asked whether I can print our boarding passes on SB, we were told that there is a printer available, but not that it is $0.50 per page. No big deal, but …

Public Toilets

more difficult to find and fewer stalls on SB

Restaurant (Atmosphere)

warmer/a bit more sophisticated on SS, cooler/more casual on SB

Restaurant (Food Choices)

SS offers usually one Asian Dish at lunch, SB does not; we also found more variety in terms of desserts, especially pastries and more “continental” desserts on SS; main-course selection is similar; SS also usually offers a sorbet in mid-course; taste seemed to be rather bland on SB, but this is a very subjective area

Restaurant 2 / Le Champagne

no extra charge on SB vs $30 on SS but can only make one reservation during cruise; small portion degustations menu on SB vs traditional French on SS; several large windows on SB; capacity around 45; as the Gym is above the Restaurant 2 the thumping noise from someone on the treadmill above was rather disturbing the start of the dinner on SB; for us SB “won”, but others may feel different.

Rituals

no captains reception, Venetian Society/Club reception or big farewell “march-by” on SB; no real sail-away parties except on the last night; OK some people don't need this, we just got used to it on SS...

Room-service

always arrived nearly on the minute on SB, whereas at SS it often came toward the end of the 15min window; order completeness/correctness was however less good on SB

Safety Drill

plenty of space at inside mustering station on SB and no need to bring life-jacket; crowded outside on Deck on SS

Ship design and public areas

overall similar, but additional pools and jacuzzi on SB; public areas (incl. Card-room) feel more spacious on SB; clearly someone smart designed the Sojourn compared to the imbeciles who created the Silver Spirit

Smoking

The people next door smoked frequently on the verandah which is allowed on SB, but not on SS

Spa

the space, layout and atmosphere on SB beats SS any day, but SB charges you $25 for a day-pass unless you have a treatment, still a win for SB

Special (food) orders

our test is “can wife have a Japanese breakfast?” and on both lines this led to a discussion with the chef about rice, Miso-soup, vegetables, eggs. SS strived hard, got about 75% close and suggested we mention this on future up-front request forms when filling in the guest info sheets; SB delivered two western plates with Miso-soup but nothing else for wife's breakfast:eek:

Staff

SB has primarily Western staff, SS Asians; we found the efficiency higher on SB, the friendliness better on SS; staffing levels in the bars seemed to be lower on SB, but passenger support (in the Square) higher than (queuing) at the various SS counters; overall we felt that SB choose to pay higher wages for more qualified but fewer staff, compared to the lower-cost but more staff approach taken by SS; at the end “paying peanuts” does not make a luxury line...

Suite attendants

no Butler (we really don't need one) and apparently fewer maids on SB, but very efficient, fast, cheerful and good service; for us equal performance

Suite Bathrooms

wife impressed by SB design; more storage space and glass doors on shelves preventing things from dropping;

Suite Layout and Size

similar layouts; beds in PH suite parallel to balcony vs angled in Silver Suite; extra door from wardrobe on SB; PH, however, smaller than Silver Suite

Sunday Service

while being mentioned in general terms in the Herald, none took place on SB; “religiously” (pardon the pun) offered on SS

Tea

Teabags on SB, loose tea-leaves and tea-timers on SS

The Club/Panorama Lounge

Bar and dancing at night; venue a bit more modern on SB; different but both work for us

The Square (SB only)

nearly all day coffee made to order and a variety of pastries/cookies/sandwiches/ice cream plus access to any bookings/info needs you may need all in one location (and access to outside deck); does not exist on SS

Theatre (Shows)

similar type of performers (singers, pianists, mind readers, etc.) on both lines; the theatre on SB spans only one floor and is thus “flatter” vs the steeper venue on SS spanning two floors, which does make a difference in viewing

TV in Suite

Wall-mounted flat screen TV in bed-room and second, large size flat screen TV on desk in sitting area on SB compared to rather antique TVs on SS

Welcome

no glass of welcome champagne while boarding on SB and no one taking you to your suit, both standard on SS

Wines – complimentary

the quality of the wines offered was clearly better on SB including well-recognized labels compared to the “supermarket” selection on SS; however, the number of choices available was far less; for us quality beats quantity...

Total 28.5:31.5

Great analysis .. thanks.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the quality of response you deserved.

The only danger there is for others reading your maths conclusion is that they really should read the only the detail ie each line and which of the two lines you say was in your experience was the better for each category and why. That's potentially really helpful.

However adding the totals up to a grand total doesn't really mean anything - in fact it is misleading - unless every line in your list is as important as every other because each category is treated of equal importance when of course they are not. What people should do as an initial thing if they wish to pursue it further is to put wheighted totals against each ie for example say that Food Choices is woth 10 times the wheighting as Gym ......;)

What an excellent review particularly the scoring idea! I'm sure most of us can assign our own personal level of importance to each section - for example to us the execrable ''coffee'' on SB would not score merely a '0' but would be setting a minus figure.

As for the SB vs SS debate - as has been said many times, so many of the factors that lead to an overall assessment are so subjective that there can never be a definitive answer. As an example, we met a couple on our last SS cruise who really missed Celebrity (which we consider a floating Butlins) and couldn't wait to get back to their floating theme park. It takes all sorts.

My feeling is that there is little to choose overall between the 2 lines. People should ideally try them both, because it is really the ambience onboard which decides which you prefer. To me, this is mainly down to staff differences; some people prefer the smiling service by Asian staff, others the more ' European' attitude of the Seabourn staff. (Though on our Seabourn cruises the staff have been exceptionally friendly and helpful, and remembered our names more often than not). And always understand exactly what you are requesting.

There are too many threads relating to Silversea v the rest.At the end of the day it is personal choice to try which lines fit your own travel requirements go with it and enjoy.I would never choose a line based upon the meaningless discussion between Silversea v the rest.

It's fun to compare, critique, whatever. And if you want to post it, feel free.

I agree that the equal weight system is not a correct approach, unless all is equal to you. In defense of SB, and I'm in no mood to defend either company, you missed a lot of what they offer as a first time passenger. It wasn't too long ago that we took our first SB cruise and remember the total happiness of going forty days without being addressed by name. It's all about days sailed. As the number goes up, you notice little unpublished niceties. You really cannot expect what has been accumulated in goodwill with one line to appear on your first cruise with another.

Edited by oregon50

After comparing a few itineraries between the two lines I am leaning towards cruising SS again even though I wanted to try SB so I could come up with my own evaluation. I am not a frequent cruiser and would like as few sea days as possible...really in it for the itinerary. So far I cannot find an SB itinerary that is really better than the similar SS ones.

Well done.

In the end I think it's good to try multiple lines.

I do remind myself that every cruise can be different even on the same line.

And in the end, choice is good and it is great that the cruise lines are not clones of one another.

Thanks for taking the time to share your own report card.

Keith

Having been on two Seabourn cruises, and having the first on Silversea coming up, I found the comparison very interesting - even being subjective.

I have therefore used Berlitz Cruise Ships 2014 (Douglas Ward) to compare the ships from the cruise lines at issue - trying to be more objective.

Douglas Ward's ratings are based on Ship, Accommodation, Food, Service, Entertainment and Cruise.

The average score for Seabourn is 1682 (out of 2000), and the average score for Silversea is 1715. I have not included Explorer and Galapagos calculating Silversea's score.

Conclusion: Silversea is better - or?

Screwcork

Having been on two Seabourn cruises, and having the first on Silversea coming up, I found the comparison very interesting - even being subjective.

I have therefore used Berlitz Cruise Ships 2014 (Douglas Ward) to compare the ships from the cruise lines at issue - trying to be more objective.

Douglas Ward's ratings are based on Ship, Accommodation, Food, Service, Entertainment and Cruise.

The average score for Seabourn is 1682 (out of 2000), and the average score for Silversea is 1715. I have not included Explorer and Galapagos calculating Silversea's score.

Conclusion: Silversea is better - or?

Screwcork

Don't forget that each trip is different whether it be SS or SB

I have had good bad and indifferent on both lines.

It's probably worth noting that those who do cruise regularly will be taking advantage of discounts offered for repeat cruisers. In Seabourn's case this is the 5% for paying a refundable deposit whilst onboard. So the marketing strategies of each company tend to build a loyalty base. My view is that, at present, Silversea offers a wider variety of itineraries on nice ships of varying size. Seabourn (leaving aside the smaller ships which have been sold) has the newer ships with better overall facilities (particularly Seabourn Square) and consistently good food and service. Isn't it nice to have a choice in the same market segment!

There is another difference - their treatment of solos. I know we're only a small group but SS does it better - there are a number of cruises with a 25% single supp. and there's currently a special with many cruises at 10% single supp. It may be because I don't sail with SB that I can't find the specials, but I can only ever get a 75% single supp. from them.

I'd love to be able to cruise both and make up my own mind about pros and cons, but the bottom line difference is too much.

It's probably worth noting that those who do cruise regularly will be taking advantage of discounts offered for repeat cruisers. In Seabourn's case this is the 5% for paying a refundable deposit whilst onboard. So the marketing strategies of each company tend to build a loyalty base. My view is that, at present, Silversea offers a wider variety of itineraries on nice ships of varying size. Seabourn (leaving aside the smaller ships which have been sold) has the newer ships with better overall facilities (particularly Seabourn Square) and consistently good food and service. Isn't it nice to have a choice in the same market segment!

Seabourn also offers the best loyalty programme of any luxury line.

Seabourn also offers the best loyalty programme of any luxury line.

Next trip we move from gold to Platinum on Seabourn. Absolutely love the loyalty program and suggested it to our Silversea rep many times to follow suit. It's funny both lines have lots of differences but are more similar to each other than any other cruise lines we know of.....

Edited by carefreecruise