Is it worth getting local currency for Iceland and Greenland?

We are visiting both countries next month and I was wondering about the need for having some local currency. I am aware that it is unlikely that £sterling, € or US$ will be accepted. We don't anticipate spending much...just a drink, postcard and/or small souvenir (something to hang on the Christmas tree)...so wondered if we will be able to pay by credit card or if we should get £20/£30 worth of currency for each country?

We are visiting both countries next month and I was wondering about the need for having some local currency. I am aware that it is unlikely that £sterling, € or US$ will be accepted. We don't anticipate spending much...just a drink, postcard and/or small souvenir (something to hang on the Christmas tree)...so wondered if we will be able to pay by credit card or if we should get £20/£30 worth of currency for each country?

Personally I would use a Credit Card or use a local ATM to get some local currency .

I don't know about Greenland, but we spent 8 days in Iceland March 2013 and never used anything but dollars, even in local grocery stores. Everything was priced in krona ISK or euros or $$. Easy place to spend money!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the prompt responses. I won't bother to get ISK but does anyone have experience of purchasing small items in Greenland?

I hope you get a reply! I'm looking for a Greenland expert to bounce our questions off of!

We just returned from a 10 day tour of Iceland and I did get $300 worth of US dollars turned into Icelandic Kroner and used just about all of it.

We also used our credit cards and had no problem whatsoever at all.

I had about 60 Kroners left at the end and at the airport in Iceland they changed it over to US dollars for no charge.:):):)

We were on the Adventure of the Seas Iceland and Norway May 30 2014 sailing.

We didn't change any local currency for Iceland. Our credit cards worked fine. We could even pay by credit card at the Thingvellir toilets! First time in my life using my credit card to enter a toilet. See this:

Anyway, here is my cruise critic review which is work-in-progress. Many pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058253